NFL 2020

Lineker

Front offices meanwhile continue twisting my themselves in pretzels looking for any reason to not hire Bieniemy.  Holding that he’s not calling plays against him, attributing all his success to Mahomes, bringing up incidents from 30 years ago.  And now the latest being multiple front offices putting out “leaks” that he’s just straight up bombing all of his interviews.

Nothing against Brandon Staley but he had a whopping one year of success as a DC and is now being handed the keys to a franchise with an extremely promising young star QB, virtually assuring him of job security for several years no matter what.  Black head coaches have a hard enough time getting hired in the first place, and when they do they often inherit bad rosters with terrible QB situations and are expected to perform a quick turnaround.

3 hours ago, damshow said:

Bieniemy absolutely should get a job but I'll listen to the Andy Reid offensive assistants don't make good head coaches argument. Childress, Nagy, and Pederson all didn't quite look like offensive geniuses once off on their own.

Nagy's got two playoff appearances.  Childress had two playoff teams including a NFC Title game appearance.  Pederson had three playoff appearances including winning a ring.  All three have winning records.

Not that any of these guys set the world on fire, but their resumes are way less of a dumpster fire than most of the Belichick coaching tree.  So for that reason I can't really buy the Reid thing as a fair reason to keep him from a job.

I think the "he just doesn't interview well" thing is gaining traction simply based on numbers.  I don't doubt that there are some owners who just flat out don't believe a black coach can succeed.  But he's about to have nine teams pass on him combined in the last few cycles.  If there's any truth to him bombing interviews I'd love to know what the hell he's saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buschie Lee said:

Nagy's got two playoff appearances.  Childress had two playoff teams including a NFC Title game appearance.  Pederson had three playoff appearances including winning a ring.  All three have winning records.

Not that any of these guys set the world on fire, but their resumes are way less of a dumpster fire than most of the Belichick coaching tree.  So for that reason I can't really buy the Reid thing as a fair reason to keep him from a job.

I think the "he just doesn't interview well" thing is gaining traction simply based on numbers.  I don't doubt that there are some owners who just flat out don't believe a black coach can succeed.  But he's about to have nine teams pass on him combined in the last few cycles.  If there's any truth to him bombing interviews I'd love to know what the hell he's saying.

At least with Brandon Staley it was reported be came to the Chargers interview with an outlined plan for what he'd do on offense, how he'd further develop Herbert, etc. He, as a defensive guy, made a focal point of his interview what he'd do about LA's new franchise QB.

Based off of that it could as easily boil down to Bieniemy not having those plans together in his interviews, working more on big picture ideas instead of coming in with a detailed focus on the specific organization he's interviewing with. He wouldn't be the first one. That came out when there was talk about Greg Roman in interviews last year, basically that he was kind of aloof in terms of knowing every facet of an organization.

But there are definitely some owners and GMs who have a lot of difficulty seeing a black coach as an equal to a white coach even if they approach their interviews exactly the same.

He was going to be a FA after the year anyway. And we all knew he wasn't coming back after Huntley started playing. Curious if McSorley is the number 2 or 3 QB next year or if the Ravens sign a bland veteran QB who can competently understand a playbook.

Think the next thing with the Ravens is them figuring out exactly what they'll do with Greg Roman and his inability to coordinate a passing game.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

Think the next thing with the Ravens is them figuring out exactly what they'll do with Greg Roman and his inability to coordinate a passing game.

Hopefully they don't take as long as the 49ers did to realize he really just can't. 

On 17/01/2021 at 21:43, JMarushin said:

Drew didn't have the arm strength?

That kid ran pretty deep.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, livid said:

Hopefully they don't take as long as the 49ers did to realize he really just can't. 

We'll see what happens but I think they'll try one more year with him and maybe have the passing game coordinator have a bigger say and influence. He clearly can't design passing plays so they need someone who can to work alongside him.