NFL 2020

Lineker

17 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

Lol No change in Detroit. Defense collapses, offense can't finish, this is Lions football.

Some of the play calling is such rubbish. We should have punted instead of wheeling Prater out for the 55-yarder. Stafford's turnover was less than ideal too. 

All that being said, if Swift's hands weren't made of butter we'd have still somehow won the game. 

I'm bleakly happy that we made Trubisky look good - means Chicago will keep playing him a bit longer and prolonging them changing to an actually decent QB haha.

5 hours ago, DFF said:

Some of the play calling is such rubbish. We should have punted instead of wheeling Prater out for the 55-yarder. Stafford's turnover was less than ideal too. 

All that being said, if Swift's hands weren't made of butter we'd have still somehow won the game. 

I'm bleakly happy that we made Trubisky look good - means Chicago will keep playing him a bit longer and prolonging them changing to an actually decent QB haha.

Yeah...not terribly impressed with another season opening meltdown. Patricia had the audacity to later say the 4th quarter meltdowns aren't his fault because he was the D Coordinator when New England picked off Seattle to win the Super Bowl. Forgetting that the decision not run by Seattle was utterly baffling. He's a terrible coach, and needed to go after his first season. He just doesn't adapt and his defensive philosophy is probably exactly what I wouldn't do. 

We shouldn't have blown the 21-6 lead but Swift needs to make the catch. But that's the Detroit Lions, draft a running back who is touted as a great receiver and he fucking drops the game winning touchdown. My kids didn't understand why I started laughing. 

I'll follow them, hope they win, but that deep emotional attachment you get with your favorite team is just gone for me. And has been. I'm interested in seeing how bad this gets and if we fire Patricia mid-seasom (Quinn shouldn't be far behind, this roster we have...atleast defensively is so uninspiring). And don't get me started on how they're handling Tracy Walker.

I feel bad for Lions fans who had a team that was good under Caldwell and only going to get better as the roster came into its own get rid of their very popular player's coach for a thrift store Belichick who drove everything into the ground IMMEDIATELY.

Such a shame. It's hard to see where a lot of the wins are coming from for them this year. They face the NFC South and AFC South and the bottom of those divisions are supposed to be bad, so maybe there.

No way Patricia is coaching games in December.

He was questioned about his 4th quarter collapses and whether or not something in his coaching in the 4th wasn't working and his response was "I had a defense that made one of the best 4th quarter players ever, so no I don't think that's it."  Cool man, this is 2014, and you aren't coaching the Patriots.

He and Gase are both so stupidly arrogant.  They will not improve as coaches because they can't admit they're making mistakes.

Gase at least has won some games, which is more than Patricia can say.  Of course he's also lost an absurd amount of games by double digits, and clearly hurt Ryan Tannehill's development.

I won't put too much stock in the old QBs looking bad just yet but I could easily see this being the last season for Rivers and Brees (the latter of whom acknowledged he was very close to retirement this year).

Even if Brady looks washed this year, his contract is fully guaranteed for next season.  Not that he needs the money but I don't think he's going to give up on his goal of playing til 45 so that would mean one more season, plus he might play better the longer he's in the Arians system.  Plus from an ego standpoint, leaving the Pats, having one crappy season and quitting doesn't seem like it'd be his style.  I think he'd be determined to play that last year.

Rodgers' contract is also largely unmovable for the next 2-3 years with all the dead money so he'll keep plugging along as long as he stays healthy.  He looked great yesterday.

Big Ben - no ideas as we haven't seen him yet but I wouldn't read too much into this week regardless.  Some speculation that he'll be on a "pitch count" tonight but really he's returning against the Giants who have massive issues in the secondary, so it could be an ideal return.

41 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

I feel bad for Lions fans who had a team that was good under Caldwell and only going to get better as the roster came into its own get rid of their very popular player's coach for a thrift store Belichick who drove everything into the ground IMMEDIATELY.

Such a shame. It's hard to see where a lot of the wins are coming from for them this year. They face the NFC South and AFC South and the bottom of those divisions are supposed to be bad, so maybe there.

No way Patricia is coaching games in December.

Wont even lie, I thought Caldwell needed to go because I just didn't think he'd take us any further.

That said, I'd rather have a guy that players loved and played hard as opposed to literally everything about Patricia. I can't remember if it was Diggs or Slay but one of them were pretty pissed off that Patricia told them to "stop sucking the opposing players dick" (some sort of reference to them having a friendship with an opposing player). They thought it was really inappropriate, and obviously in football practice there is some colorful language, but Patricia crossed a line there. 

We had some interesting teams with Caldwell, but I think he was probably screwed once Mayhew was fired. 1. Not a Quinn guy and 2. Quinns personnel decisions probably would have made Caldwell look bad (although do find it funny that Jarrad Davis looked promising under Caldwell/Austin and has looked just awful in Patricias scheme). I bet Diggs and Slay would still be around atleast. Definitely could have used them yesterday. 

They really need to just blow it up, like broom everybody in the GM office and coaching staff. Probably ship Stafford and get some for him as well. I doubt he'd want to be in a rebuild mode again at his age. And I'm just not a huge fan of his, his running support has always been inadequate but he does some maddening shit himself.

8 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Wont even lie, I thought Caldwell needed to go because I just didn't think he'd take us any further.

That said, I'd rather have a guy that players loved and played hard as opposed to literally everything about Patricia. I can't remember if it was Diggs or Slay but one of them were pretty pissed off that Patricia told them to "stop sucking the opposing players dick" (some sort of reference to them having a friendship with an opposing player). They thought it was really inappropriate, and obviously in football practice there is some colorful language, but Patricia crossed a line there. 

We had some interesting teams with Caldwell, but I think he was probably screwed once Mayhew was fired. 1. Not a Quinn guy and 2. Quinns personnel decisions probably would have made Caldwell look bad (although do find it funny that Jarrad Davis looked promising under Caldwell/Austin and has looked just awful in Patricias scheme). I bet Diggs and Slay would still be around atleast. Definitely could have used them yesterday. 

They really need to just blow it up, like broom everybody in the GM office and coaching staff. Probably ship Stafford and get some for him as well. I doubt he'd want to be in a rebuild mode again at his age. And I'm just not a huge fan of his, his running support has always been inadequate but he does some maddening shit himself.

I think if there was a time they were winning with Stafford it already came and went. They shouldn't be dumb though and take a QB for the sake of taking a QB in the draft. Let that next franchise QB fall into their laps while they rebuild the rest.

It was clear for 2-3 years that Joe Flacco's time as Ravens starter was drawing to a close but they waited their time until Lamar fell into their laps. The Chiefs knew they were going to have to move on from Alex Smith and had the perfect shot to grab Mahomes and took it. The Seahawks and Cowboys weren't looking for immediate QB help and fell into Wilson and Prescott. Plenty of ways to find that franchise QB and rarely is it "suck, draft one, and build the team around him next". Better to approach it from the direction of just drafting the best players you can until that QB does show up. And if Stafford's not part of that stage between now and the next franchise QB they shouldn't panic and should just sign any number of okay backup QBs to take snaps under center.

Sadly the next Lions coach and GM will probably also panic and the cycle will continue.

Jim Caldwell: 62-50 (including the Suck for Luck tank job), 2 division titles, 1 super bowl appearance

His replacement, Matt Patricia: 9-23-1, 2 last place divisional finishes

Guy he lost out to for the Jets job, Adam Gase: 30-35 (7-10 with the Jets), 1 playoff appearance, that he lost, in his first season with the Dolphins

Not only does Caldwell have a better track record of winning, but also of losing!

1 hour ago, damsher hatfield said:

I think if there was a time they were winning with Stafford it already came and went. They shouldn't be dumb though and take a QB for the sake of taking a QB in the draft. Let that next franchise QB fall into their laps while they rebuild the rest.

It was clear for 2-3 years that Joe Flacco's time as Ravens starter was drawing to a close but they waited their time until Lamar fell into their laps. The Chiefs knew they were going to have to move on from Alex Smith and had the perfect shot to grab Mahomes and took it. The Seahawks and Cowboys weren't looking for immediate QB help and fell into Wilson and Prescott. Plenty of ways to find that franchise QB and rarely is it "suck, draft one, and build the team around him next". Better to approach it from the direction of just drafting the best players you can until that QB does show up. And if Stafford's not part of that stage between now and the next franchise QB they shouldn't panic and should just sign any number of okay backup QBs to take snaps under center.

Sadly the next Lions coach and GM will probably also panic and the cycle will continue.

Not that your overall point isn't right but the Seahawks were looking for QB help, they just thought it would be their big FA signing Matt Flynn.