World Cup 2022 qualifiers

Lineker

I'm curious as to how Neco plays for Wales and looks.

I think there's a section of our online fan base that unfairly compares him to Trent so it's the expectations on him are quite high and again unfairly so. 

5 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

I'm curious as to how Neco plays for Wales and looks.

I think there's a section of our online fan base that unfairly compares him to Trent so it's the expectations on him are quite high and again unfairly so. 

He played at left-back yesterday and yeah, never looked out of place.

In addition to his crossing and ability to get forward, I think he's actually quite technical because he's been able to recover the ball or dribble out of very tight spaces several times. Is he Trent Alexander-Arnold quality? No, but there's not many that match Trent when he's at his very best.

ITV's coverage of these three England games has been a bit bland though. Neither of Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon are the most engaging commentator, and the only punditry change was Ashley Cole replacing Eni Aluko after the San Marino game. A little more variety in that lineup would've helped make these games feel a bit more entertaining, I feel.

20 minutes ago, Naitch said:

ITV's coverage of these three England games has been a bit bland though. Neither of Sam Matterface and Lee Dixon are the most engaging commentator, and the only punditry change was Ashley Cole replacing Eni Aluko after the San Marino game. A little more variety in that lineup would've helped make these games feel a bit more entertaining, I feel.

The punditry and commentary is atrocious.

Pougatch said to Roy Keane before the game "you'll have played against these, very technical aren't they?" as if all the Poland players are the same as they were in 2001. Ridiculous.

Germany lost 2-1 at home to North Macdonia. In the same group, Armenia beat Romania. The table is pretty wild -

image.png

• Like 4

He's had a mare here. This is in response to loads of people calling him out on his "minnows league" suggestion after San Marino. North Macedonia were ranked 162 three years ago, their average rank is 85, and they've qualified for this summers Euros. If he'd called it a cupset he'd officially be the worst Lineker. 

11 hours ago, Lineker said:

This is such a petty move. If I recall, they also refuse to be matched with Gibraltar since they don't recognise it as an international entity. I wonder if Scotland would be lowercased if independence happens.

Speaking of which! I'm aware it was just the Faroes, but that 4-0 win for Scotland was really encouraging, I don't think I've been prouder of the team. Scotland are always slipping on banana peel fixtures at these stages and it sounds like they had a model match for a European team on the up. Che Adams has been a great addition, surprised he opted to play for Scotland. I've only seen highlights, but his goal was my favourite, especially on a debut. Outside the box, not afraid to have a shot at 2-0 up. I'm hoping whatever happens at the Euros will fire the team up to beat Denmark in September.

• Like 1

There are an unfortunate amount of instances where a country is either not recognized by the opposing nation or, in more cases, two nations will simply never be drawn to play against each other. I think Kosovo and Serbia can't be matched against one another, and same for Armenia and Azerbaijan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, damshow said:

There are an unfortunate amount of instances where a country is either not recognized by the opposing nation or, in more cases, two nations will simply never be drawn to play against each other. I think Kosovo and Serbia can't be matched against one another, and same for Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Yeah, it's a bit weird. Serbia and Albania were allowed to play each other and it caused chaos, so I'm all for avoiding that. As far as I know, they could still potentially play each other again.

• 4 months later...
  • Admin

Mason Greenwood and Trent Alexander-Arnold are expected to return to the England fold on Thursday when Gareth Southgate announces his squad for the World Cup qualifiers next month.

The Manchester United forward and Liverpool defender both missed Euro 2020 through injury but are set for immediate recalls to the national squad after impressive starts to the new Premier League season. Greenwood, 19, withdrew from England’s provisional 33-man squad for the Euros with a groin problem and has marked his return to fitness with two goals in two games for United.

Alexander-Arnold was forced to pull out of the tournament with a thigh injury sustained in the closing minutes of England’s final warm-up friendly against Austria. The 22-year-old has starred in Liverpool’s 100% start to the campaign, however, helping to preserve two clean sheets and producing an exquisite assist for Sadio Mané to score against Burnley on Saturday.

England start their World Cup qualifying campaign away in Hungary on 2 September before hosting Andorra at Wembley three days later. The triple-header concludes with a trip to Warsaw to play Poland on 8 September. An appearance for Greenwood would be his first at international level since being sent home from Iceland last year for breaking Covid protocols after his England debut. Phil Foden, who was also sent home after that game for disciplinary reasons, will be absent as he recovers from the foot injury that forced him to miss the Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy on 11 July.

Southgate’s selection is unlikely to feature many changes from the squad that reached the European Championship final. As well as Foden, Marcus Rashford has been sidelined so far this season having undergone surgery on a persistent shoulder problem this month. The United forward returned to training on Wednesday but the international break is likely to come too soon for his inclusion.

The England manager is a firm admirer of Harvey Barnes and could include the Leicester midfielder now that the 23-year-old has recovered from the knee injury that kept him out of the final months of last season and the Euros. Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope, another player who missed this summer’s competition through injury, could be in line for a recall.

Southgate was present at Molineux on Sunday when Dele Alli impressed in Tottenham’s win over Wolves. The midfielder, however, may require a sustained run of form to earn a first England call-up since June 2019.

Jesse Lingard played his way back into England contention last season while on loan at West Ham but, having played only four minutes for Manchester United this season, is likely to miss out on this occasion. Lingard was one of six players cut from Southgate’s provisional squad for the Euros along with James Ward-Prowse, Ollie Watkins, Ben White, Ben Godfrey and Aaron Ramsdale. The Southampton captain, who signed a new five-year contract with the club last week, is being considered for the World Cup qualifiers.

44 minutes ago, Hobo said:

I always thought Bamford was Irish

Eligible for both, played U18's for Ireland IIRC before switching allegiance to England. Ireland tried to get him to switch back a couple times in the past couple years.

Today marks the 20th anniversary of a big day in World Cup Qualifying history. England beat Germany 5-1 and Ireland beat the Netherlands 1-0, both making key strides towards qualification for the 2002 World Cup. Scotland drew 0-0 with Croatia and Wales were held to a scoreless draw by Armenia.

• Like 2