World Cup 2022 qualifiers

Lineker

12 hours ago, KJE said:

Canada is playing Mexico tonight in a blizzard. 50,000 fans are expected.

This is the first time in forever that Canada has the majority of fans on its side. In the past, even in home games, the joke was you need to score early to take the crowd out of it.

It's a good time for Canadian soccer.

That game was amazing to watch. So many USMNT fans were watching that game as neutrals last night, which was great to see. Mexico almost came back to tie it last night - and should have - but for a wonderful few moments, we all thought Mexico was going to suffer a second Dos A Cero, or as it was being called by me and others: Dos Eh (Sub) Cero.

It also gave us this amazing celebration, spawning memes instantaneously: 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, KJE said:

Canada is playing Mexico tonight in a blizzard. 50,000 fans are expected.

This is the first time in forever that Canada has the majority of fans on its side. In the past, even in home games, the joke was you need to score early to take the crowd out of it.

It's a good time for Canadian soccer.

Man, since the Gold Cup in 2000, I have sat through years of utter garbage where I’m dying for the team to beat like Saint Martin and they wind up drawing, it was literally one of the most soul sucking experiences of my life to be rooting for Canada but it honestly feels like the very slow investments into youth facilities and youth programs over the last 15 years finally paid off. I borderline have to pinch myself sometimes because we’re not only going into games with Mexico as favorites but we’re winning those games and playing as a cohesive unit. It feels unreal. 

25 minutes ago, Adam said:

What does Dos A Cero refer to? Other than 2-0, obviously. It came up on a Secret Base video about Landon Donovan and Mexico I was watching the other week.

I always find the American interpretation of football fascinating.

From a quick Google, apparently they've beaten Mexico 2-0 in five world cup qualifiers in Ohio.

4 hours ago, Moses Julep said:

Man, since the Gold Cup in 2000, I have sat through years of utter garbage where I’m dying for the team to beat like Saint Martin and they wind up drawing, it was literally one of the most soul sucking experiences of my life to be rooting for Canada but it honestly feels like the very slow investments into youth facilities and youth programs over the last 15 years finally paid off. I borderline have to pinch myself sometimes because we’re not only going into games with Mexico as favorites but we’re winning those games and playing as a cohesive unit. It feels unreal. 

I don't even know if I could be considered a casual fan with how little I watch, but I do enjoy the qualification process.

I found last night to be gripping TV, especially the last five minutes where Mexico almost tied it.

• Admin

Denmark’s football association has said it is introducing a series of measures to highlight human rights abuses in Qatar after qualifying for the 2022 World Cup.

The DBU said its two training-kit sponsors would make way for messages critical of Qatar, which is hosting next year’s tournament, and that it would minimise the number of trips to the country to avoid commercial activities that promote the World Cup hosts’ events.

“DBU has long been strongly critical of the World Cup in Qatar,” its chief executive officer, Jakob Jensen, said in a statement. “But now we are further intensifying our efforts and critical dialogue so that we take advantage of the fact that we have qualified to work for more change in the country.

“In addition, we have long drawn attention to the challenges facing Fifa and Qatar, and we will continue to do so.”

This week Amnesty International published a 48-page report that said thousands of migrant workers in Qatar were being trapped and exploited, with many facing “wage theft”. The government of Qatar denied the accusations but acknowledged that its labour system was still a “work in progress”.

Jensen said he was pleased to see the DBU’s commercial partners give up space on the training kits for messages to improve conditions for the migrant workers in Qatar.

“It’s a very strong signal when our partners also engage in the fight for better conditions in Qatar,” he said. “The partners support Danish football, the men’s national team and the sporting participation in the European Championship and the World Cup – not the individual host.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Very interesting that one of Italy or Portugal won't be making it to the World Cup.

I swear if we don't want qualify because of a last minute Ronaldo winner I'd be inconsolable.

That said, the way we've been playing since June makes me think North Macedonia might do us over.

I doubt Scotland could have had a better draw than that. It's any team's place to win though. If we can't make it I'd love to see Wales make more magic.

Austria have been sub-par, and Ukraine are erratic (bit like Scotland). Wales seem to be improving all the time. Just hope there's no shenanigans.

If it comes down to Scotland vs Wales, it's going to be played like a World Cup final regardless. 😊

• 2 months later...

Canada beat the USA last night and are currently sitting top of the qualification group. As someone that followed the team for 30 years at this point and remembers the days where I was hoping Jamaica wouldn’t beat us too badly, this is absolutely insane. This current golden generation is proof the Canadian MLS teams have done a world of good and the investment in youth has paid off drastically. 

• Like 1

They did it without Davies and their best CM. It's truly awesome to see how good Canada is getting. They're a lot like 15/16 Leicester. A lot of role players who know their job and do it well, sit deep in a low block and counter, and rely on their stars to get the job done. 

The early goal yesterday was huge for Canada. Changed the game because it let them go into that ultra effective low block.

• Like 1