World Cup 2022 qualifiers

Lineker

Knowing FIFA, they won't announced anything until the day of the supposed game to 'give Russia a chance to end the war' and reinstate the team immiedately after. 

But yeah, if it gets to gameday and this is still ongoing, then I think they just officially toss Russia out and give Poland a walkover. 

EDIT: 

Ignore the above, FIFA already gave Poland a walkover: 

https://www.fifa.com/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022/media-releases/decisions-taken-concerning-fifa-world-cup-qatar-2022-tm-qualifiers

• 3 weeks later...

North Macedonia just took the lead away to Italy in injury time 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not great. The team hasn't been anywhere near the level of the summer, and a lot of key players are out injured, but there's no excuse for not beating North Macedonia. Still, that trophy sure is nice.

This may mean I have to support England at an international tournament for the first time since... oh, the last World Cup. 

• Haha 1

Short of a Gerard slip, Canada should be qualified for the World Cup tonight. It will be the first time I am conscious for their qualification (they qualified when I was less than a year old). It’s the result of a decade long project to build up the game in this country and taking a fantastic (English!) women’s coach and seeing if he can do this for the men’s team (he can!). I am not in the least bit nationalistic but I feel a strong affinity for a team that’s a pile of refugees going to the World Cup. Can’t wait to see how they fare. 

• Like 3

Yeah, Canada is qualifying. Nothing to worry about, especially home to a Jamaica side that has few who care about the national team.

Can't believe USA went into the Azteca last night, managed the match perfectly, was the better side, and could've easily won 2-0. Unbelievable to be disappointed in only one point! Win Sunday now vs Panama and it's going to likely take a 3 goal loss in Costa Rica to not qualify automatically. 

USMNT Twitter is toxic and hates Gregg Berhalter, but he pretty much always gets it right anymore in the big matches. I'm not worried about getting the win on Sunday.