World Cup 2022 qualifiers

Lineker

Yeah this is almost a direct result of the MLS expanding into Canada and the Canadian clubs all establishing strong academy and training pipelines. CONCACAF is going to be very hard for the nations like Jamaica and Honduras going forward with Canada, US, and Mexico likely all entrenched at the top going forward.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 14:58, damshow said:

Yeah this is almost a direct result of the MLS expanding into Canada and the Canadian clubs all establishing strong academy and training pipelines. CONCACAF is going to be very hard for the nations like Jamaica and Honduras going forward with Canada, US, and Mexico likely all entrenched at the top going forward.

Bear in mind that the World Cup is expanding to 48 teams from 2026, so CONCACAF will get six qualifying spots.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, damshow said:

I keep trying to forget that they're doing that.

It's why I went to USA vs Mexico in Cincy. That game will never matter in WCQ ever again, and I never know how likely it is the Gold Cup Final will be on the east coast. Concacaf WCQ will be a joke forevermore now.

2 hours ago, Szumi - A Polack said:

It's why I went to USA vs Mexico in Cincy. That game will never matter in WCQ ever again, and I never know how likely it is the Gold Cup Final will be on the east coast. Concacaf WCQ will be a joke forevermore now.

It'll mean something to my father-in-law who will have the chance to see Jamaica qualify again. But it does just dilute the process since, as you said, USA vs Mexico won't feel the same except in the Gold Cup. And with FIFA forever meddling with the calendar who knows if that gets messed up in the near future.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, damshow said:

It'll mean something to my father-in-law who will have the chance to see Jamaica qualify again. But it does just dilute the process since, as you said, USA vs Mexico won't feel the same except in the Gold Cup. And with FIFA forever meddling with the calendar who knows if that gets messed up in the near future.

I'm honestly shocked Jamaica has done so poorly this round, although a lot of that can be chalked to losing a lot of their Euro guys for the early stages because of Covid restrictions.

Jamaica has the best striker in CONCACAF in Antonio, and the second best keeper as well. Sucks Bailey's been injured the whole time too

That match being played in Minnesota in February was definitely a face. However, I have no sympathy for a Honduras side who for years have scheduled games for 3pm kickoffs so games were played in 100F weather and 100% humidity.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, stokeriño said:

I have faith in FIFA to self-servingly weigh up the financial implications and conclude that there are better options than letting Russia effectively waltz through unopposed.

I think they won't. I wouldn't say I'm sure though. I feel they may be banned like Yugoslavia in 92 which would mean Poland gets to waltz through like Denmark did back then. It wasn't a playoff but still. 

Ukraine have asked for the Scotland match to be postponed, I doubt anyone will object. I just hope they can field a team, it seems some may be in the process of doing much more important things.

Nobody wants a forfeit.

Fair play to FIFA for somehow predicting the logistical issues caused by COVID and Russia being colossal dicks all the way back in 2009, whereby giving the World Cup to Qatar provides an extra 5-6 months for qualifiers and playoffs to take place.

On 26/02/2022 at 15:56, Malenko said:

I think they won't. I wouldn't say I'm sure though. I feel they may be banned like Yugoslavia in 92 which would mean Poland gets to waltz through like Denmark did back then. It wasn't a playoff but still. 

So, this is actually happening?