World Cup 2022 qualifiers

Lineker

• Admin

Algeria's football federation (FAF) has requested that the second leg of their 2022 World Cup play-off against Cameroon be replayed amid complaints about refereeing decisions.

The north Africans were eliminated on away goals after a 2-1 defeat after extra time in Blida on Tuesday, with Cameroon forward Karl Toko Ekambi scoring the winner in the 124th minute.

An FAF statement said it had lodged an appeal with world governing body Fifa, citing "scandalous arbitration" which "distorted the result".

Algeria striker Islam Slimani had a second-half goal ruled out for offside when the score was 1-0 to Cameroon, and Slimani then had another effort chalked off in the first half of extra time.

Gambian referee Bakary Gassama initially awarded a goal in the 98th minute, but subsequently disallowed Slimani's effort for handball after an intervention from the video assistant referee and a check on his pitchside monitor.

The Desert Foxes did equalise on the night, and go ahead 2-1 on aggregate, through Ahmed Touba's 118th-minute header, but Toko Ekambi struck deep in added time to level the tie at 2-2 and send the central Africans to Qatar.

"The FAF is determined to use all legally permitted means to have its rights restored and to replay the match under conditions guaranteeing the honesty and partiality of the referee," a statement on the FAF website said.

"The FAF also requests the opening of an investigation by Fifa bodies to shed light on the arbitration of the Algeria-Cameroon match."

Fifa has been contacted for comment.

The draw for the group stage of the World Cup is scheduled to take place on Friday.

Meanwhile, Charaf-Eddine Amara has resigned as president of FAF following Algeria's exit from World Cup qualifying.

On 30/03/2022 at 13:14, The Kraig said:

He also had bottles thrown at him, and I believe other players did. The Egyptian FA have complained about racist slogans, some of them were directed towards Salah directly.

Baffling stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing Senegal disqualified.

I had sympathy for Egypt until I discovered that their fans had also been using laser pointers, having been criticised for doing so as far back as 2013.

4 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I didn't realise the draw was tomorrow. I can't remember them doing it before all the qualifiers were confirmed in the past.

Different tournament but weren't the latest Euros group draws also affected by Covid delays?

On 31/03/2022 at 18:04, Naitch said:

I had sympathy for Egypt until I discovered that their fans had also been using laser pointers, having been criticised for doing so as far back as 2013.

Different tournament but weren't the latest Euros group draws also affected by Covid delays?

Wouldn't the qualifiers have been done before the initial lockdown?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lineker said:

Well, I can honestly say, I'll be happy whoever wins. Wales play Poland (Nations League) on the same day, in case people think Wales are getting a distinct advantage.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Just like Wrestlemania 10. Wales could in theory play their U21s for the Nations League game mind...

True, but I think they would be slaughtered for it, especially if they end up eliminating Ukraine. Wales doing a heel turn, no one wants to see that. :( 

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, damhausen said:

If that happens does Peru get in automatically and then Colombia goes to an intercontinental playoff?

As I said, I don't know any further details but that would be the logical thing to do.

4 minutes ago, The Kraig said:

If it's about Rinson López, he played for El Nacional (a club), not the the national team.

No. This is Byron Castillo who played 8 times during the qualifiers. Apparently the documents they used were fake. Paraguay's FA or whatever found Castillo's real birth documents. I don't know why Paraguay did all the work since their missing the world cup regardless, but still.

It sounds like this isn't a new thing, if you read his Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byron_Castillo

Nationality issues[edit]

In 2017, Castillo was separated from the Ecuador under-20 squad, after allegations that he was born in Tumaco, a Colombian city nearing the border of Ecuador.[7] He was accused of adulterating his birth documentation in January 2019,[8] and this issue kept him out of any Ecuadorian national teams.

In February 2021, an investigation started to determine if Castillo was Ecuadorian or Colombian.[9] Finally, on 24 April of that year, his Ecuadorian nationality was confirmed.[10]

I suppose in 2021 they used the fake documents mentioned in the article I read. We'll see if FIFA and CONMEBOL do something with the new information or if they just let it slide. The one thing I'm sure is, even if they allow Ecuador to play in the World Cup, they won't allow Castillo.

• 1 month later...