Formula One 2021

Lineker

There is absolutely no excuse for them to change the "lapped cars stay behind Lewis" to "lapped cars go past the safety car" decision without some kind of outside influence, or just absolute spinelessness.

Oh fuck, as Ted pointed out, only 5 cars were allowed to unlap themselves, not every lapped car. What the fuck are they doing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris2K said:

There is absolutely no excuse for them to change the "lapped cars stay behind Lewis" to "lapped cars go past the safety car" decision without some kind of outside influence, or just absolute spinelessness.

Oh fuck, as Ted pointed out, only 5 cars were allowed to unlap themselves, not every lapped car. What the fuck are they doing?

This is being pointed out on the US broadcast as well (maybe we get the same broadcast?). Basically randomly adjusting the rules to let Max and Lewis duel to the finish even though everyone knew if they did that Max would win due to better tires.

There's been a ton of hype in the US thanks to "Drive to Survive" and this particular season has been one of the best ever. Honestly ending it on drama and controversy is better for its popularity here than ending it on a safety car that's for sure.

Race control changing their minds like a 14 year old grassroots football ref when an angry dad shouts at them enough.

• Like 1

As a Dutchman, I should be happy with this. My parents were happy, my friends were raving mad, my brother was blowing up my phone.

But i'm not happy, as a racer, as a racefan. This wasn't how anybody should win a title.

I need to rethink my interest in this class of motorsport, because nobody should be winning a title on ratfucking by Race Control.

This isn't on Max or Lewis, or Red Bull or Mercedes. But race control choosing to bend their own rulebook for the sake of entertainment, and for me that's against the very spirit of the competition.

Happy for Max and RBR, but Lewis/Merc have a very genuine reason to feel fucked over by this. Because in no situation should it have ended this way.

This should be a historical day, and for so many people it will be, for most people this won't affect their enjoyment one bit. But for me, I just feel a deep sadness and disappointment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well. It’s nice to see Sainz get a podium I guess.

2 minutes ago, Absolute JasonM said:

As a Dutchman, I should be happy with this. My parents were happy, my friends were raving mad, my brother was blowing up my phone.

But i'm not happy, as a racer, as a racefan. This wasn't how anybody should win a title.

I need to rethink my interest in this class of motorsport, because nobody should be winning a title on ratfucking by Race Control.

This isn't on Max or Lewis, or Red Bull or Mercedes. But race control choosing to bend their own rulebook for the sake of entertainment, and for me that's against the very spirit of the competition.

Happy for Max and RBR, but Lewis/Merc have a very genuine reason to feel fucked over by this. Because in no situation should it have ended this way.

Yeah I wanted Hamilton to win this one but all the same Verstappen is obvs a very talented driver and he deserves better than to win his first championship in circumstances that don’t have a massive asterisk next to it.

The race directors (and those who defend that finish) will argue that Hamilton lost due to strategy, because Mercedes didn't pit him earlier in the race or when the safety car was deployed.

It feels like Hamilton deserved to win today though. Michael Masi and co. perhaps prioritised having the race end at full speed rather than under the safety car.

Madness.

• Like 1

Both teams always have winning shirts printed, the running joke is that the losing team's shirts get sent out to charities.

One minor thing is that I'm glad it was a Williams that caused the safety car, if it had been an AlphaTauri there would have been even more accusations flying around.

I pray that this is the last year that the team principals are put on equal billing with the drivers, it's getting beyond tiresome.

• Like 1

Because of the new regulations nobody knows, although budgets usually dictate a lot so it probably won't be too far off the current set up. I can't see Haas showing up like Brawn did at the first 2009 testing session and being a second ahead of the field for example.