2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

Some NFL analysts are trying to reach that Drew Brees must be planning on playing again with videos circulating of him working out like a madman in the last week.

I mean, were they expecting a guy who has been an athlete his whole life to stop hitting the gym just because he's done playing?

• Admin

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Thomas Davis will end his NFL career where it began in 2005.

Davis, 37, announced Wednesday on Instagram he will sign a one-day contract with the Carolina Panthers on March 11 so he can retire with the club. He was released by the Washington Football Team earlier in the day.

Yeah there seems to be a big expectation everywhere there's going to be a ton of vets getting cut. I fully expect the Ravens to cut Brandon Williams if they can't restructure his deal. I can't really think of who else the Ravens might part with. They already let go of some of their vets like Ingram to give them a headstart on free agency.

Golden Tate was the main one I was expecting from the Giants so that's already been done.

Nate Solder wasn't viewed as a cap casualty option last year because of the dead cap hit, everyone figured they'd wait to cut him before this year instead when the hit isn't bad.  But now with him understandably opting out of last year, his contract was pushed off making this year the year where the dead cap seems prohibitive.  I'd expect a restructure instead.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's on a different team. He's going to be 28 and they're in a rebuild with not a ton of cap room, it would make sense to either let him walk and recoup a comp pick or tag him and trade him. 

Yeah I should've specified I think he's getting tagged. Lions are going to have the money to spend so might as well use it on a known quantity in Golladay. See what happens with Goff. If things work out and you decided to sign him long-term you do so and if not you get the comp pick at worst.

8 minutes ago, damshow said:

Yeah I should've specified I think he's getting tagged. Lions are going to have the money to spend so might as well use it on a known quantity in Golladay. See what happens with Goff. If things work out and you decided to sign him long-term you do so and if not you get the comp pick at worst.

They actually don't have the money to spend. They're over the cap now and if they do the moves VP mentioned, that would create a small bit of room but still not a ton. Caps get massaged all the time obviously so maybe they can figure some things out but I wouldn't expect them to be a big player this offseason.