NFL 2021

Lineker

Hearing it is most likely the Commanders, which just sounds strange but probably the best out of that bunch besides WFT. I think WFT is a good name for them but you can't pass up an opportunity to move more and new merch.

24 minutes ago, punky said:

Hearing it is most likely the Commanders, which just sounds strange but probably the best out of that bunch besides WFT. I think WFT is a good name for them but you can't pass up an opportunity to move more and new merch.

I'd agree with you, as bland as 'Washington Football Team' might be, it does have a good ring to it and it stands out in a league/sport that is all about combining cities with a random theme/symbol.

Besides, you can still make 'WFT' branded merch, unless that's some sort of thing that they foolishly didn't trademark.

Then again, I'm European so I have grown up with names like "SC City FC and AC City FC", so it sounds much more natural to my ears than the "Washington Dish Rags" or w.e.

21 minutes ago, Absolute JasonM said:

Then again, I'm European so I have grown up with names like "SC City FC and AC City FC", so it sounds much more natural to my ears than the "Washington Dish Rags" or w.e.

To my knowledge there's only one other pro sports team in North America whose official name does not have a nickname (le Club de hockey Canadien). So Washington Football Team is really unique. And knowing many Washington fans by virtue of living in Maryland it's been largely well-received. It's like almost a point of pride, it makes them sound more prestigious than teams that rely on nicknames. Honestly if the team had on-field success this year it'd have been very hard to change.

Yet to a European fan it sounds totally natural. Just call them Washington in the same manner you call Liverpool Football Club "Liverpool". 

• Like 2

The funny thing to me is that the websites, video games, box scores, tickers etc are all set up in a way where the team nickname would go in a specific spot, so they usually just put "Football Team" as if it is the actual nickname rather than Washington Football Team all being one unified name.

Just makes it look hilariously lazy instead of classic.

I think WFT is better than all of those names too, but if you keep it you are eternally reminded of why they have such an unusual name and they probably don't want that.

33 minutes ago, damshow said:

To my knowledge there's only one other pro sports team in North America whose official name does not have a nickname (le Club de hockey Canadien). So Washington Football Team is really unique. And knowing many Washington fans by virtue of living in Maryland it's been largely well-received. It's like almost a point of pride, it makes them sound more prestigious than teams that rely on nicknames. Honestly if the team had on-field success this year it'd have been very hard to change.

Yet to a European fan it sounds totally natural. Just call them Washington in the same manner you call Liverpool Football Club "Liverpool". 

Aren't there 11 MLS clubs without US-style nickname names? Granted they are all taking their lead from European football culture.

36 minutes ago, Adam said:

I think WFT is better than all of those names too, but if you keep it you are eternally reminded of why they have such an unusual name and they probably don't want that.

Aren't there 11 MLS clubs without US-style nickname names? Granted they are all taking their lead from European football culture.

I should've specified non-football haha. Those names are almost all very corny too. Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas City are all-time trying-too-hard names. To the point they're commonly called RSL and SKC respectively.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, damshow said:

I should've specified non-football haha. Those names are almost all very corny too. Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas City are all-time trying-too-hard names. To the point they're commonly called RSL and SKC respectively.

Especially using 'Real' is such a stupid title because it's completely oblivious as to why certain clubs in Spain are even called that.

(They're royally ordained Sporting clubs (i.e. Royal Madrid Football Club) as opposed to the club picking the title.)

Sporting is also silly, but at least that somehow fits in with English language.  

'Inter' Miami is also a weird one.

The Hogs was the nickname of Washington's offensive line during the Joe Gibbs years. Carried them to 3 Super Bowls because they absolutely mauled and let anyone run behind them. Joe Jacoby and Russ Grimm on the left side is about as good as it gets in league history.

Ironically they were also the line that let Lawrence Taylor end Joe Thiesman's career.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damshow said:

I game regularly with an avid soccer fan from Kansas City, he refers to them almost exclusively as Sporting KC.  I call them the Kansas City Wizards.  He does not like that.

19 minutes ago, damshow said:

The Hogs was the nickname of Washington's offensive line during the Joe Gibbs years. Carried them to 3 Super Bowls because they absolutely mauled and let anyone run behind them. Joe Jacoby and Russ Grimm on the left side is about as good as it gets in league history.

Ironically they were also the line that let Lawrence Taylor end Joe Thiesman's career.

Tbf, this is LT we're talking about. 

4 hours ago, damshow said:

Oh aye, those names are terrible. Sure we discussed that over in the round-ball football thread not too long ago.

The 11 I meant though were Dallas, DC Utd, Cincinnatti, Toronto, New York City, LAFC, Charlotte, Montreal, Orlando City, Austin and Nashville. And I forgot Minnesota Utd too. All either without a suffix or with a traditional soccer City/Utd/FC. MLS interlude over!

Regardless, Washington Groundhogs is not the one for me. Invites ridicule every season they fail as well, with the easiest of headlines.

4df97f5ac81a7df820c4297bb54f0846.jpeg

• Like 4