2022 NFL Off-Season thread

The Buscher

15 hours ago, livid said:

Supposedly they had a trade lined up before he decided to get surgery. The next day the Commanders traded for Carson Wentz so make of that what you will.

They were waiting for him to heal from the surgery because he had a $7M injury guarantee. Now that he's passed a physical though, they wouldn't be on the hook for that and can basically clear his total $25M salary for next to nothing if they cut him. So they'll see how training camp goes and then cut him before Week 1 if nothing materializes. 

I'm already wondering what the Colts will want for Foles when Wentz gets injured?.....

• Like 2

Ezekiel Elliott was innocent, and was suspended half a season. The way I figure it, Watson should be suspended until at least 2028.

Seriously, though, if he's not suspended for a full season, I call bullshit.

When this all started the NFL was pushing for a year, the NFLPA pushing for no suspension at all.  The NFLPA came out yesterday and said they would not attempt to appeal the judge's decision no matter what it is and encouraged the league to do the same.

The NFLPA knew that the decision was going to wind up being favorable to them.

On March 27, 2014, a grand jury indicted Rice on third-degree aggravated assault, with a possible jail sentence of three to five years and a fine of up to $15,000.[92] Six weeks after the incident, Rice married Palmer on March 28, 2014.[93] For the incident, Rice was suspended for the first two games of the 2014 NFL season on July 25, 2014. The criminal charges were later dropped after Rice agreed to undergo court-supervised counseling.[94] In a news conference announcing longer suspension lengths for future domestic violence incidents, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that he "didn't get it right" in deciding Rice's punishment.[95]

Let's not forget this gem too

Hit up the wacky tabacky - NFL deems you are going straight to hell; uppercut a woman on camera or molest/attempt-to-molest over 20 women - better make sure he doesn't miss TOO much time. 

• Like 1

The Rice punishment was from a wholly different environment with the personal conduct policy and was the catalyst for the much harsher penalties we've seen. But apparently the latest CBA has some hole in it the NFLPA figured it can poke at with regards to the personal conduct policy as it pertains to players. So trade off of course being that anything that impacts games (betting, anything labeled a PED or controlled substance) is hard to fight but accusations that don't result in criminal charges are now a huge gray area.

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

The Rice punishment was from a wholly different environment with the personal conduct policy and was the catalyst for the much harsher penalties we've seen. But apparently the latest CBA has some hole in it the NFLPA figured it can poke at with regards to the personal conduct policy as it pertains to players. So trade off of course being that anything that impacts games (betting, anything labeled a PED or controlled substance) is hard to fight but accusations that don't result in criminal charges are now a huge gray area.

Yeah - that all sounds right, I was more highlighting the league's seeming ambivalence when it comes to the treatment of women

I'd add Ezekiel Elliott to that list Tristen Kuhn posted. The investigator said there should be no punishment, yet he was suspended 8 games. Despite the accuser being shady as fuck, and complete strangers saying she asked them to lie.

This is absolute bullshit. Goodell needs to go!

18 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

This is absolute bullshit. Goodell needs to go!

To be fair, Goodell hasn't weighed in on this yet, that's the recommendation from the investigator.  He could salvage this by making it a longer suspension.  But considering he literally has never gotten anything right regarding a suspension in his career, I'm not expecting much.

• Sad 1