2023-2024 NBA season

Pooker

The 3 point contest and Steph vs Sabrina were the only good parts of All Star Weekend.  In general the 3 point contest feels like the only thing players actually like to do and take somewhat seriously.

The skills contest is a lot of screwing about.  The problem with the dunk contest is there’s really nothing left, everything has been done.  So it’s a lot of “I’m gonna jump over this dude” or “I’m gonna wear an outfit” or whatever.  Jaylen Brown was getting booed for doing normal dunks without gimmicks and the judges were rewarding him for it.

The game itself was, as always, a parody of real basketball.  Tuned out after 5 minutes.  At least the Saturday stuff was meant to be fun, I feel much the same way about the All Star Game as I did about the Pro Bowl.  Skills contests are more fun than a fake game.

The stupid in-season tournament finals being in place of the All Star Game would be an improvement.

3 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

The 3 point contest and Steph vs Sabrina were the only good parts of All Star Weekend.  In general the 3 point contest feels like the only thing players actually like to do and take somewhat seriously.

The skills contest is a lot of screwing about.  The problem with the dunk contest is there’s really nothing left, everything has been done.  So it’s a lot of “I’m gonna jump over this dude” or “I’m gonna wear an outfit” or whatever.  Jaylen Brown was getting booed for doing normal dunks without gimmicks and the judges were rewarding him for it.

The game itself was, as always, a parody of real basketball.  Tuned out after 5 minutes.  At least the Saturday stuff was meant to be fun, I feel much the same way about the All Star Game as I did about the Pro Bowl.  Skills contests are more fun than a fake game.

The stupid in-season tournament finals being in place of the All Star Game would be an improvement.

All-Star Weekend is an a-lister event despite all this and it gives the NBA clout by being able to say "look at all the celebs hanging out with our league". Especially right off the heels of the Super Bowl. They're not changing a thing but for fans it's not really fun or entertaining unless you're really obsessed with celebrities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Buscher said:

What was wrong with the in-season tournament? By all accounts, it was well received by the players, was fun to watch some competitive games early in the season, and seemed to be a success with the fans as well.

Eh, I think if you need to invent a gimmick to incentivize players to play hard early in the season/give fans a reason to care about early season games it’s more of a sign that the season was too long to begin with especially when over half the league makes the playoffs.

The appeal of the FA Cup and other sort of in-season tournaments is that hundreds of teams from different leagues can qualify.  The in-season tournament still felt to me like a bunch of regular season games with a flashier title.

I liked the IST, but everything you say is correct in terms of that the players shouldn't have to be motivated to play the game they're being paid millions of dollars a year for, and it probably is too long a season. The courts were the only negative I really had.

The All-Star game was as meaningless as always, but I did think Dame's half court shooting was pretty impressive, and it's quite funny that KAT has scored 50 twice this season, and has lost both games. He's my favourite player, but he really is too obsessed with his stat line.

It seemed pretty clear that the judging panel on the dunk contest was doing their best to score based on the round, not on the actual dunk. McClung's first dunk, with the grab, release, catch and reverse dunk, was by far the best but got horrible scores even compared to Brown's standard dunks.

Yeah, I do agree with all of that as well. I enjoyed the in season tournament, but think that they need to start it later. Start it a month into the season, and end it right before the all star break.

The dunk contest needs to be done with. Or, get rid of all props, helpers, etc. Just have straight dunks.

I find it funnier that KAT scored 50 and wasn't MVP. That's gotta be a first, right?

In other news, Jacque Vaughn was fired as Nets coach today.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

KAT is out indefinitely with a torn meniscus.

So that's this season gone, Ant can't exactly do much when he's being triple teamed on the perimeter.

So bummed for you guys. Was rooting for Gobert to go deep into the playoffs. Hopefully Naz Reid can fill in to at least take the edge off a little.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Maybe it's not over if Ant can keep doing this...

This block was insane! KAT is going in for surgery and the super hope is he can get back in like a month

This is kind of a Video Game thing too but it's an NBA video game, so putting it here. I did a full run through of ZenGM's Basketball GM with the Pistons from their years in Fort Wayne until the retirement of Wembanyama (which is where I end my games basically). This is my Pistons franchise story:

Spoiler

From 1949-57, the Fort Wayne years, I had mostly losing seasons but because there are like 8 teams in the NBA I made the playoffs 7 of 9 seasons but only ever won 2 rounds.

Got the first pick after a dismal 1958 year and took Elgin Baylor who helped us take home our first title in 1959...I had kind of hoped for more but thanks to Boston's league worst 18 wins they drafted Wilt Chamberlain and then, thanks to a trade with Philadelphia, ended up with the top pick in 1960 and took Oscar Robertson. Those two absolutely shredded the league - they won NINE straight titles back-to-back-to-back-etc., I couldn't beat them for nothing. I FINALLY overcame them in 1970 when they were starting to decline and I had Rick Berry, Willis Reed, and Dave Bing going strong - won my 2nd title and a 3rd in 1973. Added Sidney Wicks to that group and won back to backs in 75 and 76, including going 77-5 in 1975!

I hung on as long as I could with that group and tried to squeeze out one more win by adding guys like Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy. The early 80s were dismal but the second half I was back into the playoff pictures, made the East Finals a few times thanks to being carried by PG Walker Russell who developed really well 9was my 2nd rounder in 1982). This carried into the 90s, cycling between playoff droughts and shortened playoff exits. I had drafted Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf in 1990 and he was a true baller but I couldn't get enough good pieces or the right combination of them around him. 

However, after a poor 1998 season, our fortunes changed. We drafted 6th overall and with that pick we took little known German PF/C...DIRK NOWITZKI! They gelled together nice and we started making the playoffs every year again. In 2002 the Pistons went 65-17, best in the league by 12 wins and odds on favorite to win the title. We got bounced in the first round by the Magic and some kid named O'Neal...Jermaine O'Neal :P We did bounce back though and won the championship in 2003 thanks to Dirk being a downright freak!

After Rauf retired the next year I signed Stefon Marbury to replace him but he and Dirk couldn't get it right, multiple second round exits ensued. I traded Marbury to our "friends" in Indiana to shed cap space so I could sign the top free agent, Andre Igoudala. As part of that deal I got Andrew Bogut and then drafted a backcourt of Daniel Ewing and Sergio Rodriguez. That team finally clocked in 08 and we won FIVE out of the next SEVEN titles including a Three Peat! Dirk hung the shoes up in 2014 (about 5 seasons less than real life). 

We kind of sputtered from there - Igoudala aged and declined and coudln't carry the squad and we just couldn't build back good enough. From 2016-2025 we won ONE playoff series. I had traded up in 2019 - the plan was to get Ja Morant but I was able to get Pick #1 so I chose Zion Williamson. He never carried the team like a true star. However, in 2029 and 20230 I had assembled a deep enough and talented enough squad that I eeked out back to back titles again, led by PG Tre Mann and F Kenyon Martin Jr. Couldn't really replicate much success after that though and mediocrity settled in to the squad basically until Wemby retired (which is the the spot at which I cut my games off).

Overall I won 13 titles and made 20 finals appearances; 70 total playoff appearances with a record of 4243-3044 for a winning percentage of 58.2%. 

FRANCHISE LEADERS:

• Most Games: Zion Williamson - 1,329
  • Most Minutes Played: Dirk Nowitzki - 37,262
  • Most Field Goals Made: Dirk Nowitzki - 7,620
  • Most Three Pointers Made: Tre Mann - 2,704
  • Most Free Throws Made: Dirk Nowitzki - 4,658
  • Most Rebounds: Dirk Nowitzki - 8,083
  • Most Assists: Walker Russell - 9,074
  • Most Turnovers: Chuck Mencel - 3,686
  • Most Steals: Andre Igoudala - 1,780
  • Most Blocks: Dirk Nowitzki - 1,863
  • Most Fouls: Dirk Nowitzki - 3,007
  • Most Points: Dirk Nowitzki - 21,429

I'll page our resident Pistons guys, @VerbalPuke and @Malenko

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Krabby said:

This is kind of a Video Game thing too but it's an NBA video game, so putting it here. I did a full run through of ZenGM's Basketball GM with the Pistons from their years in Fort Wayne until the retirement of Wembanyama (which is where I end my games basically). This is my Pistons franchise story:

Reveal hidden contents

Retirement of Wemby....

Too soon bro. :P

Much as I loved the Bad Boys and Going to Work eras, i think I'd take this story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krabby said:

Hide contents

From 1949-57, the Fort Wayne years, I had mostly losing seasons but because there are like 8 teams in the NBA I made the playoffs 7 of 9 seasons but only ever won 2 rounds.

Got the first pick after a dismal 1958 year and took Elgin Baylor who helped us take home our first title in 1959...I had kind of hoped for more but thanks to Boston's league worst 18 wins they drafted Wilt Chamberlain and then, thanks to a trade with Philadelphia, ended up with the top pick in 1960 and took Oscar Robertson. Those two absolutely shredded the league - they won NINE straight titles back-to-back-to-back-etc., I couldn't beat them for nothing. I FINALLY overcame them in 1970 when they were starting to decline and I had Rick Berry, Willis Reed, and Dave Bing going strong - won my 2nd title and a 3rd in 1973. Added Sidney Wicks to that group and won back to backs in 75 and 76, including going 77-5 in 1975!

I hung on as long as I could with that group and tried to squeeze out one more win by adding guys like Bob Lanier and Calvin Murphy. The early 80s were dismal but the second half I was back into the playoff pictures, made the East Finals a few times thanks to being carried by PG Walker Russell who developed really well 9was my 2nd rounder in 1982). This carried into the 90s, cycling between playoff droughts and shortened playoff exits. I had drafted Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf in 1990 and he was a true baller but I couldn't get enough good pieces or the right combination of them around him. 

However, after a poor 1998 season, our fortunes changed. We drafted 6th overall and with that pick we took little known German PF/C...DIRK NOWITZKI! They gelled together nice and we started making the playoffs every year again. In 2002 the Pistons went 65-17, best in the league by 12 wins and odds on favorite to win the title. We got bounced in the first round by the Magic and some kid named O'Neal...Jermaine O'Neal :P We did bounce back though and won the championship in 2003 thanks to Dirk being a downright freak!

After Rauf retired the next year I signed Stefon Marbury to replace him but he and Dirk couldn't get it right, multiple second round exits ensued. I traded Marbury to our "friends" in Indiana to shed cap space so I could sign the top free agent, Andre Igoudala. As part of that deal I got Andrew Bogut and then drafted a backcourt of Daniel Ewing and Sergio Rodriguez. That team finally clocked in 08 and we won FIVE out of the next SEVEN titles including a Three Peat! Dirk hung the shoes up in 2014 (about 5 seasons less than real life). 

We kind of sputtered from there - Igoudala aged and declined and coudln't carry the squad and we just couldn't build back good enough. From 2016-2025 we won ONE playoff series. I had traded up in 2019 - the plan was to get Ja Morant but I was able to get Pick #1 so I chose Zion Williamson. He never carried the team like a true star. However, in 2029 and 20230 I had assembled a deep enough and talented enough squad that I eeked out back to back titles again, led by PG Tre Mann and F Kenyon Martin Jr. Couldn't really replicate much success after that though and mediocrity settled in to the squad basically until Wemby retired (which is the the spot at which I cut my games off).

Overall I won 13 titles and made 20 finals appearances; 70 total playoff appearances with a record of 4243-3044 for a winning percentage of 58.2%. 

FRANCHISE LEADERS:

• Most Games: Zion Williamson - 1,329
  • Most Minutes Played: Dirk Nowitzki - 37,262
  • Most Field Goals Made: Dirk Nowitzki - 7,620
  • Most Three Pointers Made: Tre Mann - 2,704
  • Most Free Throws Made: Dirk Nowitzki - 4,658
  • Most Rebounds: Dirk Nowitzki - 8,083
  • Most Assists: Walker Russell - 9,074
  • Most Turnovers: Chuck Mencel - 3,686
  • Most Steals: Andre Igoudala - 1,780
  • Most Blocks: Dirk Nowitzki - 1,863
  • Most Fouls: Dirk Nowitzki - 3,007
  • Most Points: Dirk Nowitzki - 21,429

I like you got a couple actual Pistons legends in there. For some reason I'm not surprised Marbury didn't match well with Dirk. Second round exits sound about right.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Malenko said:

I like you got a couple actual Pistons legends in there. For some reason I'm not surprised Marbury didn't match well with Dirk. Second round exits sound about right.

Yeah I ended up with a few actual Pistons guys, I didn't make that a rule or anything but if it worked I went with it. I also had Rick Mahorn for like 600 games. I drafted Joe Dumars 6th overall in 1985 but he didn't pan out how well I wanted him to I traded him to Miami in his 3rd season for a season of Clyde Drexler and some spare parts. I also drafted Detroit native/Detroit Mercy college legend Willie Green in 2003 and he ended up as a great bench guy/spot starter while I won those 5 titles in the aughts - thought that was a cool storyline too!

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else find it strange that Rudy Gobert was fined $100K for making a money gesture and criticizing the refs, but Draymond Green only got $25K and a five game suspension for literally choking a man?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pooker said:

Anybody else find it strange that Rudy Gobert was fined $100K for making a money gesture and criticizing the refs, but Draymond Green only got $25K and a five game suspension for literally choking a man?

Can't call attention to the match-fixing that's definitely happening in college and probably seeping into the NBA.

• Sad 1

@Chris2K Anthony Edwards needs to be jailed for his assault on John Collins tonight. Watching him and Mike Conley tonight reminds me a ton of Conley and Mitchell playing together. Hope y'all continue to do good this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm so glad the NBA doesn't have the same play-off entry system as the NFL. As the Wolves continue their slide we are now on 47 wins, still the 4th best record in the league, and 3rd in the Western Conference, but also 3rd in the Northwest division because of the Thunder and Nuggets.

So if this was the NFL, instead of being the 3rd seed in the West, we'd be the 2nd wildcard.

• 2 weeks later...