2023-2024 NBA season

Pooker

Booker had 62 last night too.

I don't think it's that teams aren't playing any defense. The great offensive players are just really fucking good and can't be stop.

3 hours ago, Pooker said:

Booker had 62 last night too.

I don't think it's that teams aren't playing any defense. The great offensive players are just really fucking good and can't be stop.

If that was the case then what's stopping them from scoring 62 regularly?

48 minutes ago, LL! said:

If that was the case then what's stopping them from scoring 62 regularly?

Good defense? Playing team basketball? Honestly, if Luka or Joel or Booker wanted to score 62 plus a game, they probably could. But, is beneficial for them to? If it's in the flow of the game and everything is falling for them, cool. But, would they win if they were forcing things? If they're teammates stopped playing because what's the point?

Both things can be true. Teams (besides the Hawks) can play good defense. And there can be really good offensive players that are fully capable of going off for 60 plus points during any game.

I think the rule changes in the past decade or so have helped a great deal in increasing pace of play and also protecting shooters. It's harder for shooters to draw fouls in some ways, but at the same time defenders are equally less allowed to play close up or else they send the shooter to the line.

It's become a scoring league more so than it has always been, strategies that were alien and novel like "8 seconds" 15 years ago are pretty much the norm now. Set plays, which some teams rarely play nowadays, are equally focused on speed with the defense being at a bigger disadvantage than ever with referees cracking down on running through screens or defending late.

And of course the fact that the quality of shooting has absolutely skyrocketed, Curry was the first domino and everyone afterwards seemingly have leapt beyond even further, step back and fadeaway threes are no longer risky low-percentage shots but for some the norm.

Average PPG is at 112.7 for this decade alone, whereas the 2010s had 102.2 and the 2000s had 96.9.

The last time basketball was this close in terms of points scored? the 80s where it was 109.3.

Just absolutely mental times we're living in, and I think the only thing that can really push the numbers down is if defenses are unleashed a bit more, but in an era of player safety that won't (and honestly shouldn't) happen.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's flippant of me to say, but I'd suggest there's an element of business about it. Playing defence may earn you respect with your teammates and coaches, but scoring points earns you endorsement deals and media attention. I'd say players are much more interested in the latter these days.

3 hours ago, Chris2K said:

Perhaps it's flippant of me to say, but I'd suggest there's an element of business about it. Playing defence may earn you respect with your teammates and coaches, but scoring points earns you endorsement deals and media attention. I'd say players are much more interested in the latter these days.

Spoken like somebody who has Rudy Gobert on their team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The guy who predicted LeBron back to the Cavs, LeBron to the Lakers, Dwight Howard to the Lakers and Kawhi to the Clippers is saying the Lakers are looking to trade LeBron.

Take a grain of salt but it’s apparently coming from a guy who doesn’t predict much but nails it when he does.

31 minutes ago, Maxx said:

The guy who predicted LeBron back to the Cavs, LeBron to the Lakers, Dwight Howard to the Lakers and Kawhi to the Clippers is saying the Lakers are looking to trade LeBron.

Take a grain of salt but it’s apparently coming from a guy who doesn’t predict much but nails it when he does.

It's a LeBron burner. 

• Haha 1

I don't care how good LeBron is playing at his age but a team would have to be crazy to trade for him right now. They would either have to give up a star that makes just as much or mortgage their entire team, at which point you're just in the same spot LeBron is in now.

I think there's definitely a few teams crazy enough to bite in the hopes of LeBron showing up to complete a title contender.

But having said that, he's getting paid 47 million this year and he's got a player option (for 51M!) for next year. Financially he is a gigantic dead weight, who brings in a LOT of extra drama in terms of team dynamics (LeGM) and general media scrutiny.

So I am fully expecting the Mavs to fuck their chemistry on an aging star. <_<

• Haha 2