NFL 2023

Lineker

On 01/11/2023 at 08:13, Meacon Keaton said:

All right, Raiders, you want Nathaniel Hackett, Vance Joseph, or Vic Fangio as your next head coach? 

No, I want Antonio Pierce, I think he could be our Dan Campbell. Grew up a fan, too, from LA, like me, so if nothing else it'll be nice to actually be the Raiders again and not Patriots West.

On 01/11/2023 at 09:26, gunnar hendershow said:

The tank is on. Bad news for fantasy owners of Jacobs or Adams.

I don't think we're gonna tank. If AOC doesn't work out, we could still be bad, of course, but I don't think the organization is giving up on this season at this point. I expect us to get to 6 or 7 wins on the season. I also expect Jacobs and Adams production to go up, if I'm being honest. Can't be worse than it has been.

On 01/11/2023 at 10:46, Maxx said:

This season had good news for Jacobs fantasy owners? 

Can confirm it has not.

I don't even see a clear cut tanking team in the league yet.

The Panthers have zero incentive to tank because they don't have a first round pick.  The Bears just traded for Montez Sweat which is the opposite of what you'd expect a tanking team to do, in fairness the Panthers might do the work for them.  The Cardinals are losing but actually playing somewhat competitive games and about to bring Kyler Murray back which goes against the idea that they're gonna blatantly tank for a QB.  The Pats suck but aren't gonna actively tank under Belichick who is trying to crawl to the wins total.  The Broncos might've screwed their tank hopes by finding a way to beat Denver.

Plus the playoff field is just so muddled, especially in the NFC.  The Giants suck but are also only two yards away from being 4-4.  The Commanders just traded their top two pass rushers but in this weak conference there's still a chance for basically anyone with two wins or more to get in the mix for that lousy 7th seed.

3 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

I also don't think NFL teams believe there's a college QB worth tanking for. Caleb Williams ain't it.

The future (and present) of QB is extremely bleak. Not sure what's happening at the high school level but in college it's pretty apparent QBs aren't really up to the task and almost all the good ones either play forever or are surrounded by superior talent.

9 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

The future (and present) of QB is extremely bleak. Not sure what's happening at the high school level but in college it's pretty apparent QBs aren't really up to the task and almost all the good ones either play forever or are surrounded by superior talent.

Personally, I think it's because the stuff that works in college with larger talent gaps (as the most talented QBs tend to go to the top schools which are more talented than their opponents) doesn't work nearly as well as in the NFL. You can't run pure air raid, you can't get away with running a ton of read, you have to be able to take snaps under center and throw from the pocket against much tighter defenses. There's 'college open' and 'NFL open', one is measured in feet and yards and the other is measured in inches.

I think it's why the stuff that you do see bubbling up from college is running game stuff, because that can translate. Lining up in the T-Formation or throwback power schemes work well at any level, provided you have the talent to do them. Spreading out NFL defenses doesn't work as well in the NFL because the defense has the speed to still make the plays. NFL offenses rely on scheme and trickery, like the Dolphins/49ers use of motion, to create their mismatches.

For Caleb Williams, personally I think he holds the ball too much looking for a big flashy play, which works when you have the talent USC has on the line and wide receiver (although we'll see how it works when he has to play a defense with two future NFL edges against UCLA) but is not going to work in the NFL. I think he's closer to Kyler Murray than Patrick Mahomes, and I'm not sure he's even as good as Murray, who I'm not convinced is a franchise QB.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DMN in the House said:

For Caleb Williams, personally I think he holds the ball too much looking for a big flashy play, which works when you have the talent USC has on the line and wide receiver (although we'll see how it works when he has to play a defense with two future NFL edges against UCLA) but is not going to work in the NFL. 

We saw it in the Notre Dame game. We sacked him six or seven times and he stood on the sidelines pouting for the last six minutes of the game while his back up went in and played.

15 hours ago, gunnar hendershow said:

Its a lack of hustle and lunch pails, I'm sure of it!

19 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

I don't think Denver is openly tanking. I think they just suck and hired a head coach who's better days are behind him. 

When they announced that Payton was going to coach the Broncos, my first thought was that if Jerry Jones had any sense, he would have fired McCarthy and gone after Payton.

I'm so glad I turned out to be wrong. Dallas would probably be a 2-win team under him.

The Raiders should hire Hue Jackson to be their next coach, and sign Kaepernick. :P

Edited by GhostMachine

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The Raiders should hire Hue Jackson to be their next coach, and sign Kaepernick. :P

I don't have high expectations for you, but you could at least make references that have been relevant this decade? Also, I'm sure you don't know this because you are the first person I've ever met who claims to follow the sport but has negative knowledge about it (seriously, my mom knows more about football and all she knows is what I talk to her about and how her team, the Saints is doing), but Hue Jackson was already here in 2011, went 8-8, and would probably have made the playoffs if Jason Campbell hadn't gotten injured and if Al Davis hadn't died, so he's still a better coach than Josh McDaniels.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DMN in the House said:

I don't have high expectations for you, but you could at least make references that have been relevant this decade? Also, I'm sure you don't know this because you are the first person I've ever met who claims to follow the sport but has negative knowledge about it (seriously, my mom knows more about football and all she knows is what I talk to her about and how her team, the Saints is doing), but Hue Jackson was already here in 2011, went 8-8, and would probably have made the playoffs if Jason Campbell hadn't gotten injured and if Al Davis hadn't died, so he's still a better coach than Josh McDaniels.

Go find a dictionary and look up "joke". (Though it was a bad one.....) I was thinking of a lousy HC and a QB that there's no chance they ever sign.

Unless its Hackett or Patricia, whoever they land as head coach will probably be an improvement. What do you think the chances are they take the interim tag off Pierce and give him the job?

3 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Go find a dictionary and look up "joke". (Though it was a bad one.....) I was thinking of a lousy HC and a QB that there's no chance they ever sign.

Unless its Hackett or Patricia, whoever they land as head coach will probably be an improvement. What do you think the chances are they take the interim tag off Pierce and give him the job?

You have another kind?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, gunnar hendershow said:

I remember banging on the "they shouldn't have fired Hue Jackson" drum back in 2013. It looked like a good opinion for 4 years.

Honestly, I don't even think Hue is that bad purely in terms of his coaching, both franchises he coached for have been dumpster fires for two decades, that goes beyond whoever the coach is. Hue's biggest problem in Oakland was the Carson Palmer trade and how he tried to make a power play after Al died, I think the Raiders would have been better to keep him than the shit we went through after. Cleveland was bad, bad, and yes, that's on him, but also on their terrible ownership, and, while obviously the record is better now, they're still a dysfunctional mess. Hue was a big part of helping Marvin Lewis turn the Bengals around as well, I think he's a decent coordinator, but a terrible head coach, mostly for non-football reasons.

12 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

I think it's Pierce's job to lose, unless Michigan fires Jim Harbaugh and we're able to snag him.

3 minutes ago, Szumi said:

DMN was just being a blatant dick with his post. This though, Maxx, was genuinely funny.

That was me trying to be nice, actually. I didn't even curse or call him names! 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steelers WR George Pickens disassociates himself from the team on social media

What is it with the Steelers and diva wide receivers