Formula One 2024

Lineker

I hardly watched any F1 last season and haven't so far this season either. The last time I dropped off like this was during Schumacher's dominance in the early 2000s, but even that wasn't as predictable as it is now. At least Rosberg and Bottas used to keep Hamilton on his toes a bit.

And Ferrari and Red Bull would at least win from time to time.

I’ve got to admit a big part of this for me is that I really like Lewis Hamilton so didn’t mind him winning all the time (same for Vettel). Whereas I found/find Schumacher and Verstappen to both be quite unpleasant characters. Although Verstappen has mellowed a bit.recently, admittedly.

I watch the first few laps just to see if Max gets caught in some trouble. Once he's got the big lead, I just go do something else while the race is on in the background on mute.

Yeesh. I do get it because Albon is vastly superior to Sargeant, but that can't be good for team harmony and when both drivers have zero points in the championship, it seems markedly unfair.

It's embarrassing enough that Williams don't have the capability to replace the chassis.

Williams seems so far behind. Hearing about the pain they went through to upgrade their workflow this off-season, I can see why they don't have a replacement ready.

I read that Williams still used Excel to track and document everything and I had to go and have a lie down in a darkened room for a while...

24 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I read that Williams still used Excel to track and document everything and I had to go and have a lie down in a darkened room for a while...

Yeah, I saw a video about it the other day.

I have no particularly love or hate for Sargeant, but this feels like a really shitty decision. I realise Albon is more likely to score points, but under no circumstances should a driver be literally told "give up your car to your teammate" in 2024. I don't see why Sargeant should suffer for both Albon's and Williams' mistakes, and if this was a more popular driver then the reaction would be a lot more hostile.

Maybe it's just his portrayal in Drive to Survive making him look like a bumbling, data-obsessed bore, but I'm getting the feeling that James Vowles was excellent at Mercedes but has now found himself in a position where he's out of his depth.

I thoroughly enjoyed that race, very glad I avoided spoilers as well considering the outcome.

That crash at the end was big, bet Russell felt a bit vulnerable stuck in a beached car in the middle of a fast section of the track there.

• Like 1

In what I guess you could call "don't trust what the F1 graphics say", it turns our Russell was screaming for a red flag in the cockpit in fear of being hit as he was on his side, with the weakest part of the chassis facing where the cars would be coming around the corner blind. Plus for extra danger, Lance Stroll was the first on scene.

The TV graphic showed the usual Team Radio inset with George saying "I'm OK" - which he didn't say at any point.

Just wait for how long Drive To Survive drag that incident out.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Just wait for how long Drive To Survive drag that incident out.

They're going to cut it to show quick shots of Lance lumbering toward him like the tractor trailer scene in Pet Cemetery.

Edited by Meacon Keaton