The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

BUT I HAVE THE PERSONAS I LIKE. :(

I really dislike only being able to have like 6 at a time and having to sacrifice them to get new ones. I want to spend forever getting all of the Personas in one play through. Where's Bill's PC when you need it?

Doesn't Slime resist phsyical? Could I destroy him with a simple slime persona? >_>

If you save the Persona's with margaret you can get them later (at a price).

Also, I think eventually it goes up to 12 total Persona's at some point.

Considering I pay for PS+, is there a reason as to why I shouldn't sell my physical copy of X-Com, considering I can download it for the Instant Game Collection?

May sound like a stupid question, but meh...

If you plan on being subscribed to plus for good, then there's no reason why you would need to keep the physical copy - but if your sub runs out and you don't re-new, you won't be able to play anything games you downloaded from plus.

...unless it was a discounted one, of course.

Until you renew, of course. Then it all comes back.

So I just got a PS3 for $75 because holy fuck, a PS3 for $75. What games do I need to get for it? Keep in mind I hate most shooters.

Would you classify the Uncharted games as shooters? They're pretty good. I really liked 2 & 3, haven't really played the first one. If you like strategy RPGs in the vein of FF: Tactics, Disgaea 3 is pretty good and I've heard good things about Disgaea 4. Valkyria Chronicles is also a really good strat RPG.

I haven't played either one, but I've heard good things about Heavy Rain and Heavenly Sword. The former is by the same developers that made the batshit insane Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy, and the latter is a hack & slash similar to God of War.

inFAMOUS was a pretty decent game. The story wasn't anything terribly impressing, but the gameplay was pretty sound. Truthfully, though, I only got it because it was one of the free games PSN users could pick up after that whole PSN hacking debacle.

OH OH OH OH. Get LittleBigPlanet! I think you'd enjoy those games. Even after 5 years I still go back and play the original LBP because it's just a really fun game.

Heavy Rain is great if you want to be swept up in a story, though I don't know if it's PS3 exclusive. The Last of Us is a third-person shooter but holy fuck is it good. The Uncharted games are fantastic adventure/third-person shooters. Uncharted 2 I consider the 3rd best game of this generation (behind the two I just named!). You'd like Littlebigplanet or LBP 2 definitely.

Little Big Planet, GoGo. Always Little Big Planet. Both 1 and 2 are wonderful. I'm trying to think what else, I know you've got another console but I don't know what you've played on it. >_>

Last of Us is a good shout, though try not to be swept away by hype and you'll probably enjoy it a ton. It's a third person stealth game, but then I know you've played the AC games and this is way better than those. Also get PS+ like, now.

Have you got a 360 as well, or is this your only console?

I've had a 360 for years.

inFAMOUS, Uncharted, and Last of Us have always been in my plans for PS3 gaming. I totally forgot about LittleBigPlanet and Heavy Rain, though. I very much want to play both!

And by "shooters" I mean Call of Duty Black Ops Halo The Division WE ARE SOLDIERS GRAR stuff.

Heavy Rain is great if you want to be swept up in a story, though I don't know if it's PS3 exclusive. The Last of Us is a third-person shooter but holy fuck is it good. The Uncharted games are fantastic adventure/third-person shooters. Uncharted 2 I consider the 3rd best game of this generation (behind the two I just named!). You'd like Littlebigplanet or LBP 2 definitely.

It is.

Outside of what's already been mentioned and in light of the fact I'm playing it ATM, 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Very much a love letter to the early Legend of Zelda titles as you roam the land looking for dungeons, loot them of their treasure and use your new items to defeat enemies and bosses. It has a fairly unique voxely/pixely/blocky retro look to it with some catchy tunes and some gentle fun poking with some quirky dialogue and in game locations. Plus, if you're artistically minded, you can make your hero look like anything you want if you have the patience to deal with the in game editor. Or, you can just go download some heroes online and move them to your PS3 via USB. There's probably dozens of Links available as well as all manner of other characters like Mario, Cloud and, the character I'm playing with now, Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Other than that, there is the veritable wealth of action platformers either available as PS3 exclusives or PS2 HD remasters such as Ratchet and Clank, Jakk and Daxter and Sly Cooper.

Outside of what's already been mentioned and in light of the fact I'm playing it ATM, 3D Dot Game Heroes.

Very much a love letter to the early Legend of Zelda titles as you roam the land looking for dungeons, loot them of their treasure and use your new items to defeat enemies and bosses. It has a fairly unique voxely/pixely/blocky retro look to it with some catchy tunes and some gentle fun poking with some quirky dialogue and in game locations. Plus, if you're artistically minded, you can make your hero look like anything you want if you have the patience to deal with the in game editor. Or, you can just go download some heroes online and move them to your PS3 via USB. There's probably dozens of Links available as well as all manner of other characters like Mario, Cloud and, the character I'm playing with now, Frog from Chrono Trigger.

Other than that, there is the veritable wealth of action platformers either available as PS3 exclusives or PS2 HD remasters such as Ratchet and Clank, Jakk and Daxter and Sly Cooper.

3D Dot Game Heroes is wonderful. They totally missed a trick not releasing that on Vita too, I bet that'd have sold pretty well on a handheld. Lovely game though.

A heads up, Heavy Rain is an awful game. It's a good story, but the actual gameplay is horribly boring. I sure hope you like QTE's.

Oh and if you've ever cared at all about JRPGs or Pokemon, GoGo. Ni no Kuni is god damn wonderful.

Heavy Rain is a fantastic game. The controls are designed so it's a close to an interactive movie as possible, and also to force a sense of control over the player. Given some of the things you need to do in the game, the controls make it so you feel every single motion as the characters doing it. It's not a regular action game but it's far from boring. As an alternative opinion to grumpy pants up there.

• Like 4

Has anyone played it with a move controller? I've been meaning to pick it up for ages, but I bought a Wonderbook the other week in a sale (largely because I wanted a webcam with a mic, the bundle was super cheap, and now I can be Ron!) so I now have an unused move controller that I'd like to try on something.

I only read about it somewere. Sometimes it is ok, but most of the time movecontrols are said to be pointless (as in you have to shake the controler to open a door instead of just moveing it like a doorknob) - It´s such a shame we lost further DLC to move support, i liked the one dlc we got the most because in it´s 10-20 runtime you actually had many many many different ways to play and end it because it did not suffer from the restrictions you get when you have to make what happens fit in the rest of a 10 hour game that is fully voiceacted and motioncaptured.

Heavy Rain is probably my second-favourite game on PS3 behind Oblivion. The story is so tense and gripping. There are numerous "wooooah" moments and it should really drag you in. You've really got to play it.

(For what it's worth) the rest of my top ten is probably something like....

Oblivion

Heavy Rain

Metal Gear Solid 4

Mirror's Edge

Tomb Raider

Mass Effect 2

Dishonored

X-Com

Race Driver: GRID

Heavenly Sword

The Uncharted games, Hitman, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood, Deus Ex, Remember Me, Soul Caliber, Fallout 3, L.A. Noire, Enslaved, Everybody's Golf, Modnation Karts (and Afrika and Tokyo Jungle!) are all worth checking out too.

I've played it three times, two with the move. The move controls are natural and responsive. And I've never had to "shake" a door knob. Ever.

Heavy rain is amazing. Amazing. Slow start for first 25 min or so, but that's pretty much the tutorial of any game.

And don't play dlc until after the game.