The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

so, with the digital copies of games on PSN being cheaper than the discs and now having to install the games on hard drives from disc anyway, are there any downsides to downloading the digital copies over getting the physical copies? Do digital copies take up more space on your hard drive than physical copies?

Digital copies take up more space as not every game you get on disc requires installation. For games that do, it would still take less space overall by using the disc as you'll be downloading the game in full digitally.

As for any downsides, I've read reports of the GTA digital version suffering frame rate issues compared to the disc version, and that stuff in the distance takes longer to appear on screen (it might be fixed by now). Same goes for PES 2014. I doubt there's a noticeable difference with other games.

I think it's still a case of swings and roundabouts. Some games seem to run better from a hard drive, whereas others reportedly account for more bugs. It's usually worth doing a bit of research before making a commitment to a digital version of a game.

One big downside is that you cant just give the game to a frind or resell it which sucks if you picked it up for 40-70 at least.

Even with a fast internet conection downloads take forever (psn issent nearly as quick as steam)

Some games take up silly amounts of HDD space, Uncharted 3 comes to mind as the biggest game i ever downloaded.

Yeah - one of the only things that stops me from digital on a game that I know I want to own for a long time (but might trade off in a moment of desperation) is the size in some cases. The Show 13, for example - was rather cheap in a sale but it was 23gigs. Nooooope.

but with PS4, every disc game requires an installation and installs take a surprising short amount of time (around half an hour) which, for downloads around 20 GB, isn't bad at all. On comparison with digital copies of games I already own, the size of them is the same...

I'd much prefer discs but sometimes with sales it's hard to resist. Like on Xbox, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom for like £3? Batman: AA for £2.something? Bully for £3? Yeah...

And of course with PS+, however, in the case of Uncharted 3 I'm still going disc. Partly just to complete the collection I have with the first two games but also the download for it is insane. Like, however much for just the 'game' and then movies on top? Hoooooooorible. Plus you can get the disc now for like £4 anyway.

So thanks to their acquisition of GaiKai, Sony has announced Playstation Now, a streaming service that will let people play games from Sony's library on smart phones and tablets. It's also going to be a feature on PS4, which hopefully will be free with PSPlus.

So thanks to their acquisition of GaiKai, Sony has announced Playstation Now, a streaming service that will let people play games from Sony's library on smart phones and tablets. It's also going to be a feature on PS4, which hopefully will be free with PSPlus.

Then you will never have to buy another game again!