The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

18 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

You just saved me from abandoning this game :D 

He walks like a human being now! :w00t:

your welcome. 

also, on the subject, I am glad a game like Death Stranding exists, but it is in no way a game made for me. 

• Like 1

I think it's nice that a game studio has been given carte blanche by a massive publisher to create the game it wants to create without any compromises. That's all too rare these days. Having said that, it's still probably not my thing. I do like the idea, but I wouldn't have the patience to stick with it for its entire duration.

I had very little interest with pre-release stuff because it just seemed like weird trailers and teasers and basically "it's from Kojima" was the selling point, but seeing actual play footage makes it seem... a bit better? I don't think I'm going to get it full price and wait for a decent price drop unless temptation/depressive splurging wins over, but at the same time I don't feel like I'm missing much from watching someone else play it instead of getting it myself.

42 minutes ago, Kaney said:

What's special about in then, in your opinion?  Is it actually more fun than the Amazon prime delivery man stuff?

C'mon I need details :(

Same!

I was tempted to not cancel my pre-order, but I just didn't want to gamble with something that I may not like. But will for sure be picking it up when the price drops to $40 or so.

It's really tough to explain!

For a start, the delivering aspect is the game. From what I can tell, there's not really more to it than that. There's a promise of weapons and combat later on, and from what I've heard, you end the game with a bunch of guns, but it's still deliveries from start to finish. But there's something about it that's just incredibly satisfying. It looks absolutely stunning, and it feels great to play. The movement and the moment-to-moment gameplay feels very reminiscent of MGSV (just without the combat). You're constantly being made aware of how much you're carrying and the effect it has on you, so it becomes very much about managing what you've got, why you've got it and where you're taking it. There's a lot of very minor decisions you have to make, but they all feel significant, and having to choose one thing over the other genuinely feels like it's going to have a knock on effect.

It's certainly not for everyone, and in a way it is sort of boring, but that slow nature just makes it all the more tense and suspenseful when something does happen. Earlier on I was carrying some cargo and I started getting chased by some mules (they want to steal your cargo to sell on for themselves), and it very much became about getting away quickly, and due to that it became about getting rid of certain items to ensure I could out-pace them. It was the same sort of stress that came from trying to sneak around an enemy camp in MGSV, and it felt wonderful. Not to mention the BT's, who are genuinely unsettling and having to manage cargo, plus your breath, plus your balance, plus your speed, plus your need to get away was just fantastic.

The story so far is incomprehensible in the best possible way. It tells you nothing, but Kojima can world-build like no one else. Everything feels real, I believe it all whole-heartedly and the characters are especially compelling, and I'm genuienly invested in what happens to all of them.

This game is marmite, you're going to either love it or hate it. If you're on the fence, ask yourself whether you want a game where Hideo Kojima got handed a blank check and got told to make whatever it is he wanted to make without any filter or direction from above. Because that's exactly what this is. This is a game that should have been made by a tiny studio of one or two people with a £20k kickstarter budget. Instead it's the biggest release of the year. It shouldn't exist, but it does, and that makes it all the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

For a start, the delivering aspect is the game. From what I can tell, there's not really more to it than that. There's a promise of weapons and combat later on, and from what I've heard, you end the game with a bunch of guns, but it's still deliveries from start to finish. But there's something about it that's just incredibly satisfying. It looks absolutely stunning, and it feels great to play. The movement and the moment-to-moment gameplay feels very reminiscent of MGSV (just without the combat). You're constantly being made aware of how much you're carrying and the effect it has on you, so it becomes very much about managing what you've got, why you've got it and where you're taking it. There's a lot of very minor decisions you have to make, but they all feel significant, and having to choose one thing over the other genuinely feels like it's going to have a knock on effect.

It's certainly not for everyone, and in a way it is sort of boring, but that slow nature just makes it all the more tense and suspenseful when something does happen. Earlier on I was carrying some cargo and I started getting chased by some mules (they want to steal your cargo to sell on for themselves), and it very much became about getting away quickly, and due to that it became about getting rid of certain items to ensure I could out-pace them. It was the same sort of stress that came from trying to sneak around an enemy camp in MGSV, and it felt wonderful. Not to mention the BT's, who are genuinely unsettling and having to manage cargo, plus your breath, plus your balance, plus your speed, plus your need to get away was just fantastic.

The story so far is incomprehensible in the best possible way. It tells you nothing, but Kojima can world-build like no one else. Everything feels real, I believe it all whole-heartedly and the characters are especially compelling, and I'm genuienly invested in what happens to all of them.

This game is marmite, you're going to either love it or hate it. If you're on the fence, ask yourself whether you want a game where Hideo Kojima got handed a blank check and got told to make whatever it is he wanted to make without any filter or direction from above. Because that's exactly what this is. This is a game that should have been made by a tiny studio of one or two people with a £20k kickstarter budget. Instead it's the biggest release of the year. It shouldn't exist, but it does, and that makes it all the better.

That's... kind of why it seems more appealing now that it's been released I think. When I first got No Man's Sky when it came out I found it relaxing even though it was literally just the same thing over and over and over, and then I just got bored of it. I guess the perk of this is there's an actual story to it (whether I would be able to follow it to enjoy it who knows). 

How does the whole "connectivity" aspect work? Do you actually need the online subscription or just be connected to the internet? Probably silly to ask, but you never know I guess

3 hours ago, Ollie said:

It's weird that for all the same reasons you're saying you love it, to me this just sounds like the absolute worst?

I've watched a videos of people playing it on YouTube just to give it a chance and see if it I'm judging it too harshly without playing it and maybe there's more there but there just isn't? It just looks like the most boring thing on earth. And I say this, bizarrely, as someone who absolutely loved something like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture or Gone Home as 'walking simulators' go. But I just don't get the draw here. There's this huge, beautiful looking world and just... absolutely nothing to do in it? You have your main quests which are delivery parcels, and then your side quests which are... delivering parcels? And nothing besides delivering parcels to people. What's the incentive really? I feel like I could watch a compilation of the cutscenes on YouTube and get basically the same out of it as someone who played it. I just don't think I "get" Kojima because I just roll my eyes at a game going for some seemingly sombre, earnest tone suddenly having characters called Deadman and Die-Hardman come bowling in like oh there he is, that's Die-Hardman, of course that's his name.

I saw a piece of gameplay where someone encountered "Mule's" and then the voiceover came over it talking about them like "oh they're addicted to stealing cargo" and I just thought oh well, he's being metaphorical or something? Somehow? But then he just kept talking like that to the point that it seemed like the game was making a point of saying nope, no analogy, these are literally the drug addicts of this world and stealing parcels is their drug instead of heroin?

I mean, the world looks absolutely gorgeous, and there's a lot to be said for being able to just wander around an open world like that in a game and explore everything and just generally enjoy how beautiful a world it is, I did that a bunch in Red Dead Redemption 2. But that's like the bonus, cherry on top of a game where it's a conscious detour away from everything else and just something to do yourself. But when the whole game is just "right, here's some pegs. Some lad miles away needs them. Tediously traverse this terrain in your plimsolls to deliver it then do that again after that." it's just like... but why though?

17 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

PT?

Having not played PT, maybe 3/4s of MGS:V?

So I just bought a PS4 ($199 on Walmart for Black Friday) - what are the essentials for someone who hasn’t played any games on a PlayStation since the PS2 days? It came bundled with The Last of Us, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. But I also bought the GOTY edition of Spider-Man (for $15!).

42 minutes ago, tristy said:

So I just bought a PS4 ($199 on Walmart for Black Friday) - what are the essentials for someone who hasn’t played any games on a PlayStation since the PS2 days? It came bundled with The Last of Us, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn. But I also bought the GOTY edition of Spider-Man (for $15!).

I would say those are some of the best games on PS4.

Otger games depending on your taste: Red Dead Redemption 2, GTAV,  Bloodborne (lots of people like this, I've never played), Uncharted, Witcher 3, Persona 5, and Nier Automata.

• Like 1

I can get all 4 of the Uncharted games for $20 right now, so that’s a steal. I’ve played RDR2 and GTAV on the Xbox already. Nier is one Ive wanted to play for a minute now, good shout on that (and thanks for reminding me!). I’ve heard of the Persona series but never actually looked at gameplay or anything to see if it’s something I’d like, gonna have to check that out for sure.