The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Death Stranding is glorious. That is all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hans GrubeORO said:

Death Stranding is glorious. That is all.

I bought it a week ago and got it in the mail today. It's installing right now, so I'll play it later.

Actually bought a lot of games over the past week, plus got a $75 giftcard for the PS Store. So as of right now, I've ended up with: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Lego Marvel Collection, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Death Stranding, World War Z, Bloodborne, Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human, Beyond: Two Souls, Days Gone and NieR:Automata (Game of the Yorha Edition).

Only played a few of them so far, but my favorite right now is actually Battlefront 2.

• Like 1

Update: Death Stranding's product placement of Monster Energy is utterly hilarious.

Minor lore details

Spoiler

So, you can chug Monster Energy in between stops to buff your stamina. And by chug, I mean CHUG. Three cans full!

But that's not all folks. You have a canteen containing Monster Energy to restore lost stamina. It also self-replenishes through some kind of osmosis, and converts all liquid into Monster Energy?

Plain old water? Fuck that shit, turn it into Monster Energy!

That time rain that ages everything except your hazmat suit for some reason? Convert it into Monster Energy, the Ur-Drink, the true element that brings life.

• Haha 1

I'm only up to meeting Deadman, but holy fuck this game is so weird. It's like a David Lynch film in movie form.

Keep in mind I've played maybe 30 minutes of Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain and that's IT as far as Kojima games go.

4 hours ago, tristy said:

I'm only up to meeting Deadman, but holy fuck this game is so weird. It's like a David Lynch film in movie form.

Keep in mind I've played maybe 30 minutes of Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain and that's IT as far as Kojima games go.

The MGS series is pretty pants on head insane itself, but from all i've seen and heard of DS it's basically Kojima without any sort of oversight or corporate expectations writing the most insane wacky shit his brain was able to invent.

It's Kojima in its purest form.

• Like 1

So is it just me, or is beating MULEs actually not that hard in Death Stranding? I mean, the game obviously wants me to ambush, use tools, overall be stealthy but... it's simpler and more effective to just wallop them like Adam West Batman.

Greedfall is 40% off in the January sale, I might grab that.

Any recommendations for VR games? All of the shooters look a bit same-y. I'm getting No Man's Sky, that should be fun in VR. The bundle I got already came with Astro Bot, Skyrim, Resident Evil 7, PS Worlds and some golf game.

Edited by tristy

2 hours ago, tristy said:

Greedfall is 40% off in the January sale, I might grab that.

Any recommendations for VR games? All of the shooters look a bit same-y. I'm getting No Man's Sky, that should be fun in VR. The bundle I got already came with Astro Bot, Skyrim, Resident Evil 7, PS Worlds and some golf game.

Blood & Truth, Moss, Batman Arkham VR, Superhot, Tetris Effect, Accounting+, Trover Saves the Universe, Job Simulator, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Surgeon Simulator, Wipeout and Beat Saber are all brilliant.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ollie said:

Blood & Truth, Moss, Batman Arkham VR, Superhot, Tetris Effect, Accounting+, Trover Saves the Universe, Job Simulator, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Surgeon Simulator, Wipeout and Beat Saber are all brilliant.

lol say what now

Tetris Effect is literally just regular Tetris, but it's absolutely one of the best uses of VR I've ever seen. It's truly one you need to experience because it's just stunning.

Accounting+ is by Justin Roiland. It is very, very funny.

Job Simulator is a game set in an automated future where humans go to museums to experience what it was like to do regular jobs in the past (ie current day). It is very, very funny.

Surgeon Simulator is a game where you perform surgeries with a variety of tools. It is very, very funny.

Which ones do I need the move controllers for? I won't have those until next week at the earliest :( I keep imagining this is going to be a boring use of VR without those controllers, since I can't imagine doing it with just the regular PS4 controller, but we'll see today I guess.

If you want a great use of the dual shock, get Statik. It's not too long but it's very immersive. Your hands are trapped in a puzzle box and you use the dual shock buttons and sticks to make different things happen, to solve the puzzles. It's very similar to Portal, atmospherically.

• Thanks 1

So, it's not super pixelated, but I thought it would be in like Ultra HD or something and it's definitely not. Really evident when you watch things like WWE in VR. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix? Or is this just how it is?

I haven't played TOO much on it, just a few demos and stuff like the VR Playroom. Would I have paid full price for this when it first came out? Absolutely not. Am I satisfied with it as a $177 purchase? Yeah. Just wish it was more vivid.

7 hours ago, tristy said:

So, it's not super pixelated, but I thought it would be in like Ultra HD or something and it's definitely not. Really evident when you watch things like WWE in VR. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a fix? Or is this just how it is?

I haven't played TOO much on it, just a few demos and stuff like the VR Playroom. Would I have paid full price for this when it first came out? Absolutely not. Am I satisfied with it as a $177 purchase? Yeah. Just wish it was more vivid.

This was the first thing I noticed when testing out my nephew's PSVR before it was given to him as a Christmas present. Playing Resident Evil, it didn't look very clear at all, and quite blurry in parts. Made me feel sick, fast.