The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Apparently that stuff just eventually breaks so none of it's permanent anyway. Not sure it's enough either way to change the experience from just being a glorified Amazon delivery guy.

I saw a video earlier where someone was doing a mission where they had to deliver a pizza before it gets cold. And it looked like they failed pretty much instantly because he picked up the pizza which was in a briefcase looking box, by a handle rather than flat so it damaged it. Honestly who can be bothered?

It sounds like someone made a whole game based around that annoying bit in Fallout when you see "you are over-encumbered" in the top corner. Over-encumbered: The Game.

Limmy's basically summed up part of my earlier post much more succinctly than I did.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Apparently that stuff just eventually breaks so none of it's permanent anyway. Not sure it's enough either way to change the experience from just being a glorified Amazon delivery guy.

I saw a video earlier where someone was doing a mission where they had to deliver a pizza before it gets cold. And it looked like they failed pretty much instantly because he picked up the pizza which was in a briefcase looking box, by a handle rather than flat so it damaged it. Honestly who can be bothered?

It sounds like someone made a whole game based around that annoying bit in Fallout when you see "you are over-encumbered" in the top corner. Over-encumbered: The Game.

Limmy's basically summed up part of my earlier post much more succinctly than I did.

Giant Bomb had a video up where they played that very pizza mission.

Geoff said that he pretty much couldn't get past the initial 1/4th of the game that was essentially hours of stoner level "you know like, phones are bad and like... it's like we're more connected than like ever... but like... we're not connected at the same time, y'know?" kind of stuff that was so blatant and shoved in your face that it got to be annoying. Brad said that he was consistently annoyed and wondering why he was going back, but he kept going back anyways. He seems to be drawn to the "they thought of everything" nature of it in a morbid way. I kind of get that sentiment but... I just don't have any interest in putting time into stuff like that.

5 hours ago, Kaney said:

Thats what I was planning to do, but from what I've seen theres things other players leave in the world such as bridges or zip wires to help you traverse to your destination and feel 'part of the experience'. Surely if I pick the game up after say 6 months theres going to be too many shortcuts and stuff so how do they avoid having the late comer miss that initial openness?  Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding the premise which, lets be fair, wouldn't be difficult.

They say in the game that the rain causes those structures to deteriorate over time and get destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got it pre-ordered and I'm all for it. I've heard a lot of polarising things, couple of podcasts I listened to today ranged from people saying they absolutely loved it and thought it was one of the best of all time to saying it was bad and really disappointing.

Can't wait to get some time with it and find out what side of the camp I'm on in that regards.

Plus if I cancel my pre-order I'll just end up pre-ordering Star Wars instead and I'd feel a bit dirty pre-ordering an EA game. :shifty:

25 minutes ago, Rey Cloudy said:

You can always just not pre-order games. >_>

It's probably just that I'm a cheapskate but I can't imagine paying full price for a game these days. I'd se-order games if that was a thing that I haven't just invented.

If there's one good thing I'll say about Sony, it's that exclusive titles like this goes into the greatest hits area of pricing relatively fast. It happened for God of War and Spiderman in recent memory. Not sure what it's going to look like now that it's multi-platform with the PC at least though.

19 hours ago, Colly said:

It's probably just that I'm a cheapskate but I can't imagine paying full price for a game these days. I'd se-order games if that was a thing that I haven't just invented.

I very rarely pre-order, and I usually only will if I get a good price reduction. Game Pass has changed things a little in that Microsoft-published games go on from day one, so I've been able to play a few games at release without having to pay extra.

I reckon I could be interesting in Death Stranding if it weren't so long. I quite like the idea of planning a route and avoiding obstacles because it sounds oddly satisfying in the same way that games like Euro Truck Simulator are. 40+ hours sounds like a long time for the novelty to stay potent, though.

Oh yeah and so far there have been people named Sam and Bridget, I mean sure fine but then theres Deadman and Die-Hardman and no one thinks this is even slightly weird? Sam was like "Oh yeah that's Die-Hardman" like that is just a normal thing you say. At least in the Metal Gear games everyone had weird fucking names. You can't mix them! :P 

• Like 1

Yeah I think this game might just really fucking suck you guys. Like I'm sure...

Spoiler

Walking around on uneven land carrying your mom's corpse on your back is hard

but all I'm doing now is stumbling around like a drunken fucking moron and falling on my face. For once I'm not even frustrated that it's too hard because it's not it's just really fucking dumb. Did I not pay enough attention or was everyone as surprised as me to find out this is what this game is?

I have not played, Srar, but it sounds like there is a very specific way to play the game to not stumble. You have to hold both shoulder triggers constantly, if I recall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RPS said:

I have not played, Srar, but it sounds like there is a very specific way to play the game to not stumble. You have to hold both shoulder triggers constantly, if I recall.

You just saved me from abandoning this game :D 

He walks like a human being now! :w00t: