The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

10 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I missed it so I'll have to watch TLOU footage later. So glad I waited on MLB 19 :D 

Me too. I usually get it on release day, but there were too many issues this year at launch, so I waited, and then I didn't have the expendable money to make it a reasonable purchase... and now it's going to be free! I'm so happy. Good timing too, because I'm at the point now in my franchise on 2018 where Vlad Jr is the only remaining player who started the year in Toronto's system.

I'm excited to get to see the new features like in-season contract extensions. It's going to make it so much easier to figure out who I want to trade away at the deadline, who is sticking around for next season, and what holes I'll need to plug.

On 21/09/2019 at 15:41, The Chiksrara Special said:

If I actually love every Bioware game is this something I would like then?

Possibly.  I really love the Bioware games so I'm really liking this.  Its a "budget" game though, so there are some glitches that are more annoying rather then game breaking, like the indicators of what plants/rocks you can loot disappear at times. 

And, like I said, it can get really repetitive.  Keep in mind, in that example I posted, I wasn't including fast travel/load times in that, and some quests are even worse in how back-and-forth they can be

Leveling up can be a little confusing too.  You get skill points, attribute points and talent points.  Skill points are gotten every level up, attribute and talent points every 2 or 3 levels or so.  You can also upgrade some armors to permanently give a 1 point talent boost to a certain talent, and getting a companion relationship to "friendly" will also give certain attributes a 1 point boost as long as that companion is in your active group, not sitting on the sideline.

Like I said, its a little confusing but once you learn how it works, its simple.  For example, I put 1 talent point into "crafting", then got to "friendly" with another companion who also boosts my crafting by 1, and I also carry an otherwise useless pair of gloves that also grants a boost to crafting, which I equip whenever I need to craft something  That means I'm the highest level of crafting, despite only ever putting 1 point into it.

I downloaded it, so I'm not sure if it got a disc release.  I would definitely say, if you're unsure, wait for it to go on sale or show up pre-played at Gamestop or something.  Might also help with making sure glitches get patched out

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I missed it so I'll have to watch TLOU footage later. So glad I waited on MLB 19 :D 

Fuck yeah, I haven't played an MLB since like 14 because I love the series but never enough to buy the game. So I'll be playing it to bits next month!

58 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The Last of Us Part II will be on two discs and will be the longest game Naughty Dog have ever made. I hope it's good content and not just filler.

More Giraffe petting action, and a chocobo Giraffe racing minigame!

5 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

People moaned about PES being a free game that one month and then they go and do a Baseball game 🤷‍♂️

I can't speak for any other regions, but during my time running an EB Games location, I can safely say that MLB: The Show outsold PES and FIFA combined by an outrageously large number.

I can even say that in the five years I was there, I probably only moved (at most) twenty to thirty copies of PES. FIFA did a lot better, but usually during the summer time when all the tourists were here and the foreign exchange students moved into their Canadian homes.

The Show didn't come anywhere near out-selling NHL or Madden, but if those were Tier 1 sports games... The Show was Tier 2, and the football/soccer games were easily the lowest selling of the bunch.

Speaking to other store managers at our conferences, it seemed very similar all across Canada.

So, people bitching about PES most likely already purchased it because they were a die hard fan, or were upset because it's a sports game they have absolutely no interest in. Because The Show is more popular in Canada (and likely in other regions) than PES, it's likely that is why there isn't the same backlash to a sports title being included.

Sports games are perfect for those services to use as free game fodder though. Annual release cycles hurt the sales anyways, and the money to be made really is in the online modes and micro-transactions. So, if for instance, next year they dropped NHL free on Plus or Gold from day one... yeah, they'd lose sales of the game, but they'd have a bunch of online players geared up to spend big right out of the gate, because they'll feel like the value they're getting is worth the money they want to spend to enhance their online experience.

Of course, then you'd have people like me who would just happily take the free game, never touch the online stuff and play franchise only... giving the companies zero dollars.

I'd expect a baseball game to outsell football games in America and Canada. 

I'd expect the same of basketball and obviously American Football and Hockey in America and Canada

I'd expect football games to outsell a Baseball game in the UK and Europe because football is the main sport in a lot of these countries. 

But I know a lot of people who were looking forward to PES. Instead of changing it to a certain region, it got changed across multiple regions. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I'd expect a baseball game to outsell football games in America and Canada. 

I'd expect the same of basketball and obviously American Football and Hockey in America and Canada

I'd expect football games to outsell a Baseball game in the UK and Europe because football is the main sport in a lot of these countries. 

But I know a lot of people who were looking forward to PES. Instead of changing it to a certain region, it got changed across multiple regions. 

How you getting on with PES anyway? Message me if you need help getting hooked up with an option file for kits etc. 👍 @DavidMarrio

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

How you getting on with PES anyway? Message me if you need help getting hooked up with an option file for kits etc. 👍 @DavidMarrio

Managed to sort it, easier then it used to be to sort all that out

I'm enjoying it, it's a good game. Only minor grip should hopefully be sorted in the update as at times if theres a lose ball it's like players stutter as to whether to go for it or not. I could defend better too but I am enjoying it

Sure I played someone off here in a ranked match and drew 2-2 after getting 2 people sent off. I recognised the PSN name but couldn't remember who it was 

They've had issues with player switching for years - don't bank on that being fixed.

And yes, it's much easier and quicker to get the kits etc in the game now. It's also serving as the official game for Euro 2020 too, so that mode will be added next year. Hope they go all out with it. One thing Konami don't do well enough is use the licenses they do have to full effect. They have some half decent European leagues in there, but aside from the main competition logo, not a lot else. If the package came with the official scoreboards/balls/pre match graphics like FIFA do for the PL and La Liga, the presentation would be great.

9 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Just saw TLOU 2 trailer and I am pissed

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.gamesradar.com/last-of-us-2-trailer-september-2019/

I'll put it in spoilers just in case, and because it seems like it's speculation:

Spoiler

The trailer begins the day after that dance. Ellie and Dina joke about sharing a kiss before heading off on their patrol route, an unseen voice warning them about running into "anything they can't handle" before they immediately run into something they can't handle. It looks like their patrol goes wrong, it may be Ellie's fault… and Dina seemingly gets captured by a hostile group and executed.

Despite warnings from Tommy (Joel's brother, who helps lead the settlement), Ellie still sets out to get revenge on the people who killed Dina. 

I assume that's the character you were talking about?

If this is really where they are going with the story for this game I'm disappointed as well. Revenge plots are so overdone and that trope in particular needs to go away. There is still a chance that this is a case of misleading editing. Remember the trailers for Uncharted 4? They really wanted us to believe that Nathan Drake would die in that game and that didn't end up happening.