Official 2012/13 Premier League thread

Lineker

I think Rodgers has done a good job this season, considering the ridiculously thin squad he had to work with at the start. Maybe his signings weren't great (and to blame that mostly on the Dempsey failure is a bit strange), but I'd rather not keep coming back to that and ignore what he's done with the squad he does have. We've played good, effective football and look a lot better than we did under Kenny. We're exciting to watch again and a huge amount of that is down to Suarez, but if he leaves we'll get a good sum of money for him.

I'm impressed that Rodgers went for Coutinho (side-stepping the fact that I thought he'd be a flop - seems unlikely now) and Sturridge looks to have been a good signing, at least to me. His propensity to shoot from ridiculous angles is very annoying but at least he's another match winner with decent technique who offers an outlet. Downing and Henderson have been improved but they're still Downing and Henderson - you can't expect the guy to work miracles with players who were underperforming way before he got there for the manager who signed them.

People were mad to expect more than 6th from Rodgers this season with the sheer gulf in quality between our squad and those of the teams in front of us, and I think that's where we'll finish. Though we have more bodies now there's still a pretty notable drop from our first teamers to our subs and these days rotation is just part of the game - unfortunately players like Allen have to start some games. I'm not sure being mindful not to overwork Lucas is a bad idea either, though I'd probably rather start him in an away game and look to rest him for a home game later on.

I wouldn't say it's one step forwards, two steps back either. We've been steadily climbing the table and our form for 2013 is good - weren't we like 3rd in the form table for this year prior to today? For me it's pretty clear we're making progress and while we've got a worse squad than the teams we're chasing of course we're going to be inconsistent - everybody from Chelsea in the table downwards has been largely inconsistent, it's the nature of the teams who don't finish in the top 2 or 3 places to have a trouble stringing wins together. I think finishing in the top 5 would have been a fantastic result for the season, so finishing just outside is hardly a disaster, and judging by our run in and the way we've generally dismissed the weaker sides this season I don't think that'll be a problem.

I think the key for Liverpool is depth. Right now theyve got the best starting eleven since maybe Alonso and Mascherano were there. I think next season is too early for CL qualification, unless they a) spend big b) stay injury free all year or c) some of the fringe players start to step up all of which are unlikely.

Sounds like negativity, but Im actually quite a fan of Liverpool now, definitely going in the right direction.

You're bang on the money about depth. Though luckily, outside of Lucas, we've been relatively injury free in regards to our starters. I don't think we need to "spend" to add to the squad. We have plenty of fringe players and inconsistent starters that can be sold or replaced to break even. Just as an example, we could raise funds from offloading Skrtel, Carroll, Henderson, Reina, Downing, Coates, Spearing, Carragher and Pacheco, and bring in fewer, but better quality, players to replace them. That would, hopefully, resolve our consistency issues and then allow us to add depth over the windows that follow. I think the way the team has played since December is a good indication of how next season is going to go and, really, our awful start to the campaign is the only reason we aren't in the Champions League places right now. I don't think we're as far off as people say we are.

>Do you Liverpool fans think Suarez will stay in the Summer? You've gotta think he'd wanna be playing Champions League football and if an offer came in from a big European club then he'd surely wanna go? Would be a massive loss if he left and almost impossible to replace.

I'm not worried. He's come out again and said he's going to stay, and the owners have said selling him to raise funds wouldn't even be an option unless he wanted to leave. I buy into every word the guy says. He might be a tool on the pitch but he seems like the most genuine and honest guy off it, and seems to have a real love for Liverpool. Even if he were to go, I'm looking on the bright side. He's playing as a #10 right now when Sturridge is fit. £40m would be a fantastic use to improve the rest of the team, though money I'd rather not have in an ideal world.

Edit: rockbox in being pessimistic shocker.

Oh no doubt about it we have a real problem with squad depth. Just looking at our bench there was no one on there at all that you could really say could come off the bench to change the game. The weird thing with us this season is normally its been in terms of attacking options that we have lacked real depth and its always been we need to improve the team attackingly and not defensively, however this year the defense has just been crap at times. We've always had a leader at the back and with Carragher retiring I just don't have faith anymore in an Agger/Skrtel partnership.

First half of the season we struggled but since November, I think only United and Spurs have been in better form. Things look promising and its not going to happen overnight. There are weaknesses in the team but they have started to been addressed such as players like Coutinho and Sturridge coming into the side.

Also in terms of Suarez I couldn't see him leaving not for a while anyway. I think if we don't get into the Champions League in another two years then he might consider it but I have more faith in Suarez staying then I did in Torres staying when he kept getting linked with a move away before he eventually left.

Christ on a crutch i fucking hate Jonathan Pearce.

If you love Ferguson/United that much to say such shite like "Oooh i can see the silverware glistening" then just hop on the M6 to Manchester, hop into the dressing room, bend down and lick Sir Alexs crusty butthole.

EDIT Too many hops. I made it sound like he is Arnold Rimmers father.

Edited by Dexter87
  • Like 1

Christ on a crutch i fucking hate Jonathan Pearce.

If you love Ferguson/United that much to say such shite like "Oooh i can see the silverware glistening" then just hop on the M6 to Manchester, hop into the dressing room, bend down and lick Sir Alexs crusty butthole.

EDIT Too many hops. I made it sound like he is Arnold Rimmers father.

How do you know that Fergie's bumhole is crusty..... :pervert:

I hate the knee jerk reactions people have when we lose. I know we were atrocious (didn't watch the game though, first I've missed in months - probably the right one to pick as it happened) but it's the nature of the beast for teams who aren't immediate challengers for the title to slip up like that. Jesus, we've only lost twice in eight games - over that period we've gained the same number of points as Chelsea and Man City, one less than Spurs and two less than Arsenal so we're performing exactly how we should be if we want to return to the Champions League in the next few seasons. It's so hard to defend Liverpool fans sometimes.

• Like 1

When a side gets at Liverpool from the outset, we've struggled. Southampton got two goals out of us early cause they harangued Liverpool for 40 mins.

Not only that but there was the reoccurring issue that certain players think 'oh we'll beat this lot without trying' and don't turn up.

I think my view on Rodgers/Liverpool atm is somewhere between Rockbox and Nerf. I'm yet to be convinced by Rodgers but there are signs that with more development and progression he will get it right. But I remember when he was appointed and I felt it was a knee-jerk reaction to one good season at a Swansea team who blatantly are not all about the manager. It is not a coincidence at all that they have been a superb footballing side through the past four managers. Plus I still haven't forgotten Rodgers' poor spell at Reading not too long ago. I think his movements in the summer could make or break whether he is a success. Looking at this season Sturridge, Coutinho and maybe to some extent Allen were all good buys but Borini was a bad call from the outset, he wasted Sahin and hasn't used Assaidi. Plus he dismissed Carroll without giving him a chance when I really think they should've kept him for depth. Carroll may not fit Rodgers' system but I think he could've been accomodated.

And Dex - Jonathan Pierce is a total penis. Definitely.

Ugh. Totally against the run of play. Spurs have looked flat but Fulham had looked even worse.

Naughton is useless.

Berbatov scores at White Hart Lane!

Spurs really miss Kaboul. I don't think Caulker/Gallas/Dawson are good enough for a potential top 4 team.

Dawson/Vertonghen clearly are though.

I didn't mean them 3 at the back at the same time. I don't understand the Dawson love, he's a good mid-table CB but when you compare him to players like Terry, Kompany and Vidic he doesn't come close.

Vertonghen is awesome though and Kaboul is not far off.

• Like 1

Dawson will work hard but doesn't quite have IT to be a top class CB. Caulker is doing okay and is still developing and could be decent, I like him as back up and getting odd cup games and off the bench appearances. Kaboul I like as well, right now I think I'd prefer him at RB though. I'm sure I read somewhere he's actually the fastest man over 100m at the club and right now I don't trust Naughton or Walker.