2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be funny painful watching Jacksonville play Cleveland later in the season. It will be the "Teddy Bridgewater Bowl", and loser takes all.

Fixed for truth.

I am shocked at this. I'm not an expert but that seems really bad for the Browns

That's because it is bad for them, despite what homers like Mofo may claim.

:lol:

Logic is homerism when you don't agree with it. That's why I don't post on this board.

Keep on bashing the Browns about something none of you have any idea about. Will be fun to read the idiocy!

They essentially traded the 3rd overall pick in 2012 for the 20th overall pick in 2014. AND they traded 4 picks to move up ONE SPOT to get to #3 in the first place. That's not good value and implying that it's logical to think otherwise is mind-numbingly dumb.

Yes it's a new regime but that doesn't mean that you throw value out the fucking window.

• Like 3

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the name, "Johnny Manziel." I love Bridgewater just like everyone else. I think he's head and shoulders better than Johnny Football. But everyone has been having a hard on for Manziel since last season, and I expect the Browns to be no different.

Because, hey, we're talking about the Cleveland Browns here.

EDIT: Cleveland takes Manziel, Jacksonville takes Bridgewater.

Edited by Disturbed

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the name, "Johnny Manziel." I love Bridgewater just like everyone else. But everyone has been having a hard on for Manziel since last season, and I expect the Browns to be no different.

Manziel, as talented as he is, isn't seen as the ideal pro-type QB. Bridgewater, on the other hand, has a much more prototypical size and arm. This is without even getting into Manziel's so-called "character issues". Johnny could go in the first round like Tebow did with the Broncos, but I don't think he'll go before Teddy nor should he. A lot of draft boards have Marcus Mariotta and Tajh Boyd above Manziel as well.

The other part I'm okayish with is that, Trent Richardson is a running back. I don't know how much running back really matters unless you are named Adrian Peterson.

Come on, that's ridiculous. Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy, Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte? These are not scrubs. They are not first-round picks, but it is extremely facile to imply that you either have Adrian Peterson or running back can be filled by Joe Schmo for all it matters.

Trent Richardson was picked third overall and if I remember right, he was pretty universally acknowledged to be top five, indicating that people thought he had superstar potential - he might not be there yet, but he's 22. He's had one season - playing with the Browns, I might add - and isn't even close to his physical prime.

It seems like suicide to trade a player with that sort of potential for a pick that, at best, will get a player of strong potential who's even further away from attaining that than the guy you just traded. Correct me if any of that is wrong, but I don't think it is and I'm really shocked people are defending that as a deal.

The other part I'm okayish with is that, Trent Richardson is a running back. I don't know how much running back really matters unless you are named Adrian Peterson.

Come on, that's ridiculous. Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy, Marshawn Lynch, Matt Forte? These are not scrubs. They are not first-round picks, but it is extremely facile to imply that you either have Adrian Peterson or running back can be filled by Joe Schmo for all it matters.

Trent Richardson was picked third overall and if I remember right, he was pretty universally acknowledged to be top five, indicating that people thought he had superstar potential - he might not be there yet, but he's 22. He's had one season - playing with the Browns, I might add - and isn't even close to his physical prime.

It seems like suicide to trade a player with that sort of potential for a pick that, at best, will get a player of strong potential who's even further away from attaining that than the guy you just traded. Correct me if any of that is wrong, but I don't think it is and I'm really shocked people are defending that as a deal.

I'm not saying running backs are scrubs, I'm saying a good/very good running back often doesn't correlate with a successful team in today's NFL (which is why running back platoons become more common).

I'm also not defending the deal (as the rest of the post that was quoted here clearly indicates). I think it's pretty bad. But it would be far worse if Richardson was young QB than a young RB, for example.

Fully expect everyone to hate on the Browns for this based on the perception Richardson is a good RB (something he was in college and you'd think he was based on his draft status), but I absolutely love it for a few reasons.

1. Like I mentioned, Trent is not that good. Having watched every pro game he's played in so far, he is incredibly slow, dances around rather than hitting holes, and is incredibly injury prone.

2. The Browns have all the ammunition (and the bad team) to get Teddy Bridgewater. This team is not going to win anything, no matter how many good players on the team, until they get a franchise QB. Do whatever it takes to get one and the other pieces fall as they will

3. This current regime has no ties to Richardson or where he was picked, so it is irrelevant to them he was taken 3rd overall. To get a 1st for him at all in a league where RB is a dying position...I love it.

Again, hate all you will, but I am a big fan of this trade.

This, he has great potential but it's not being developed correctly:

- In 17 games, Richardson only has 2 runs of over 20 yards.

- Only three rookie RBs ever with 250+ carries and 3.6 ypc or less. (Ricky Williams, Errict Rhett and Trent Richardson)

Fully expect everyone to hate on the Browns for this based on the perception Richardson is a good RB (something he was in college and you'd think he was based on his draft status), but I absolutely love it for a few reasons.

1. Like I mentioned, Trent is not that good. Having watched every pro game he's played in so far, he is incredibly slow, dances around rather than hitting holes, and is incredibly injury prone.

2. The Browns have all the ammunition (and the bad team) to get Teddy Bridgewater. This team is not going to win anything, no matter how many good players on the team, until they get a franchise QB. Do whatever it takes to get one and the other pieces fall as they will

3. This current regime has no ties to Richardson or where he was picked, so it is irrelevant to them he was taken 3rd overall. To get a 1st for him at all in a league where RB is a dying position...I love it.

- Only three rookie RBs ever with 250+ carries and 3.6 ypc or less. (Ricky Williams, Errict Rhett and Trent Richardson)

Yes, but he's been playing for the Browns.

1. He's played in one season. The rapid development of quarterbacks like Luck, RG3, and Russell Wilson has developed an awful habit of people expecting rookies to jump and make instant contributions. It's not realistic. Giving up a player with so much potential after one season is quite sad.

2. 3.6 YPC isn't bad when you consider how bad the Browns are. The guy racked up 11 touchdowns last season, let's not leave out that tidbit. That was tied for fourth in the league.

3. How many rookie RB's ever get to 250 carries? That statistic is flawed out the ass, because I'm willing to bet "Not many".

• Like 2

So the Browns have the right idea in knowing they need a ton of help all over, so they stack up for the draft this year with a ton of picks. It makes sense on paper, though if your scouting is as shit as the Browns' scouting has been then it is a moot point.

The thing is, they'll still need to spend a pick on a RB. They already had the RB though, so it's just bizarre.

I also didn't understand the Ricky Williams comparison.

Ricky Williams was pretty good.

Yes, but Ditka traded all his picks to get him, and the Saints were still at the bottom of the NFC West.

As a Browns fan I'm totally on board with this trade. Honestly, Trent really hasn't been that great and anyone who says otherwise hasn't watched that many games. He's had a low ypc, he dances too much in the backfield, he's slow hitting the hole and he doesn't have breakaway speed. It's great that he can plow over defenders and I loved watching him get 4-5 extra yards on some runs with guys piled on top of him, but to call him our "best offensive player in years" is a stretch and I'd say he hasn't done more to impress me than Jamal Lewis did his first year with us or even Kellen Winslow (pre him not being able to stay on the field for more than a game) He's constantly injury prone, and a mid round first is exactly what I'd put his value at right now.

Call it homerism, call it optimism, but I think it was a pretty solid deal for the Browns especially since the new front office clearly didn't like him that much anyways. We now have 5 picks in the first few rounds of the draft, two being first rounders, and I'm excited to see what we do from here.