2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

Takeaways:

1) Probably shouldn't have booed Saints players getting hurt. Don't be upset when you hear about snowballs at Santa tomorrow on ESPN, fellow Eagles fans.

It's not just Philly at this point though. I've heard it at a ton of games this year where players go down, the home crowd boos under the assumption they are faking, and it turns out they're legitimately hurt. Fans across the entire sport are becoming conditioned to thinking it, and it's really unfortunate.

• Like 2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts really are likable but it's hard not to hate them and feel bitter. They had the no.1 pick the year Peyton Manning comes out, go on to be a perennial contender for 13 straight years before Manning gets hurt. Then they suck so hard Andrew Luck falls on their lap, that's just not fair.

I am anti-Philly fans. I hate the Vikings, Bears, and Packers more than anything, but their fans are good people compared to Philly fans. That said, I do feel for PatDaMan, he's a good guy and should not be held to the same standard that insane Philly fans are held. Good on you Pat. Were you an insane ECW fan in the 90s?

I was a kid then, but I fucking loved ECW...I'd sneak down to my basement to watch that and South Park on Saturday nights even though I wasn't allowed to.

Takeaways:

1) Probably shouldn't have booed Saints players getting hurt. Don't be upset when you hear about snowballs at Santa tomorrow on ESPN, fellow Eagles fans.

It's not just Philly at this point though. I've heard it at a ton of games this year where players go down, the home crowd boos under the assumption they are faking, and it turns out they're legitimately hurt. Fans across the entire sport are becoming conditioned to thinking it, and it's really unfortunate.

This is true. National Media got on Texans fans a little bit when they cheered Schaub getting hurt, but nothing compared to what I expect to hear today/this week. I think a lot of it has to do with a mob rule-type attitude, where a few start booing, people around them catch on/think it's funny, and soon everyone's doing it.

I forget what game it was last year that two Giants players took obvious dives at the same time to stop the clock. I think stuff like that has jaded football fans across the country. Combine that with Chip's high-pace offense, and the fact that we were moving down the field on two of the injuries, and that perception of faking to stop the clock is blown up.

Philly fans really aren't as bad as we're made out to be, guys. I know I'm not gonna change your minds here, but we're not. Agree to disagree, I suppose.

Footnote: I saw a few kids in Saints gear last night walking out of the stadium. A complete stranger went out of his way to walk up to them, shake their hands, and say congratulations and good luck the rest of the way.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the Eagles season

- Foles was a big pleasent surprise with how well he played. Really hoping he can play at the same level next season

- Trent Cole slowly developed into a good outside linebacker after playing on the d-line his entire career. He usually faded as the season went on and was less effective, but he was good the entire season

- Demeco Ryans was supposedly traded to by the Texans because they felt after his Achilles injury, combined with his age, he wouldn't be an effective linebacker in a 3-4 anymore. Glad to see they were wrong. Think this was a contract year for him. If it was I hope they re-sign him

- I will gladly pay for Patrick Chungs bus ticket out of town. Earl Wolff showed a lot of potential in his games before he got injured. Hope he's not injury prone

- Alex Henery also needs to go. Always heard when a kicker is drafted its because they a good quality kicker. Henery was inconsistant and didn't have the leg strength needed.

• Like 1

I think Demeco has one year left at like $7 million or something. Hopefully an extension can get that number down.

But FUCK Patrick Chung. I usually try to find bright spots in a player's game (Nate Allen was pretty good this year), but Chung is just awful.

I've been on the Foles bandwagon since he came in for Vick last season, so I was happy to see him have his historical run this year. All in all, after sleeping on it, this loss doesn't hurt less.

I get what most people are saying about "playing with house money" and "exceeding expectations" and all of that, but that's all horse shit. Once they started rolling and winning games, expectations rose. We should've beaten the Saints last night.

That said, there's also a ton of optimism. It's the first time I can remember that Eagles fans took a playoff loss (to a team thisclose to being the #2 seed, by the way) in stride. The fans in the Linc cheered the team when they were going back into the tunnel. That's optimism.

The core of this team - O-line, Foles, Shady, Kendricks, and Cox will all be very good for a while here. It feels like the start of something special.

Now if we had a competent kicker, that would be awesome.

• Like 1

All in all I'm not too disappointed. Yea it sucks we lost, but I didn't think we'd make the playoffs. I figured 7-9 or 8-8 at most. But to have a first year head coach come in and do what Chip Kelly did was great.

And I made the mistake of having my radio on WIP still after listening to the game last night. What's the first thing I heard? "Why didn't they put Vick in the game" what? I really cant believe there are still people who want to see him after the season Foles had. I never liked Vick as a quarterback and thought he was overrated with the Falcons. Wasn't happy when we signed him and was hoping this would be his last season with the team.

That being said, he impressed me with how he handled the situation. He said itwouldn't make sense to put him in when he was healthy, and he wouldn't mind coming back as a backup qb next season. A lot of maturity there

• Like 1

Like you, I was never a Vick fan. His 2010 season was fun, sure, but he's just not a good enough Quarterback to take a team to the Super Bowl. Never has been.

It was fun to see Foles outplay Drew Brees last night though. I don't know if you ever go one the blog Crossing Broad, but they put it perfectly: you know you have a superstar QB when his bad games aren't all that bad.

I heard that same guy on WIP last night on the ride home, and I actually got angry. I'm used to hearing blowhards and idiots on both sports stations, but that dude blew my mind with his ignorance.

I was driving home from Philly during the 3rd quarter last night, hit Wilmington when the game ended. I don't listen to sports talk radio as a rule, only the dumbest people call into those stations. Glad I didn't leave it on after the field goal was kicked and instead put on some music.

• Like 1

This is just a tremendous wasted opportunity by the Bengals. I think the Bengals will still be good next year but the Ravens and Steelers, if not both, should be better as well. And the Browns.....well, they're the Browns so they'll find a way to suck no matter what they do, but the division should still be a lot tougher next year.

Honestly not sure we would have beaten any other team in the playoffs with that performance. So thanks Andy, I guess. Only chance of beating Denver is if Matthews is back and we run the ball like Week 15.

What the hell happens to Dalton now though?

Edited by RFP.