2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats not so bad right? I dont really follow the money in Football as much as I do Baseball

It's the largest contract in NFL history but the only figure that matters is the $54M since, unlike baseball, the $126M number is not guaranteed.

Yes. I was being sarcastic. That is waaaaaay too much money for Cutler.

Meanwhile, in punter news: Chris Kluwe feels he got let go from the Vikings because he was outspoken about same-sex marriage and thinks he'll never play in the NFL again.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

Second or third most guaranteed ever right?

Romo still has that record.

Second by a cool million, yeah.

Yes. I was being sarcastic. That is waaaaaay too much money for Cutler.

Meanwhile, in punter news: Chris Kluwe feels he got let go from the Vikings because he was outspoken about same-sex marriage and thinks he'll never play in the NFL again.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-player-until-i-was-fired-by-two-cowards-an-1493208214

It was pretty obvious that's why they let him go and he's definitely not going to play again after posting that article but it was doubtful even before it. Like with Tebow, he's just not good enough to warrant the publicity/circus that comes with him.

I'm not sure how much it has to do with same-sex marriage but I understand where teams are coming from with him. NFL teams have to deal with enough negative publicity with their players without the goddamn punter running his mouth and being in the headlines all the time.

He's not extraordinary in a very unimportant position. It happens all the time with players, where their value as a player stops outweighing the publicity they attract and they're then they're ostracised. See Messrs Owens, Tebow, Haynesworth, Ochocinco etc. Only this time he's a punter, so if he's outspoken, regardless of what it's about, he'll be canned.

Kluwe is ridiculously entertaining though. Screw punting. He should be in broadcasting.

I doubt it, I read an article where he is strongly against same sex broadcasting.

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride has retired

He was pretty much the scapegoat for a shitty offensive line and unproductive running backs. Sure he was sort of predictable but the guy had little to work with this year, it's not like he didn't help us win two Superbowls too. Curious to see who will step in and take the reigns next year.

That's brilliant odds, might throw down €50 on that!

They're 9/4 to win with no spread. Green Bay and San Diego double gives 6/1 odds, I'm definitely gonna lose money at the weekend now. That's far too tempting for two teams riding a wave of momentum. :(

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/03/nfl-considering-sort-of-seeding-based-on-records/related/

Talk of seeding based on records. Honestly if they want to keep the prestige of winning divisions but mix it up, some will see it as diluting it slightly but just have winning a division secure a playoff spot, not a home game guarantee for any games, but your atleast in. Leaves it where you may be a wildcard team, but you still could host a division winner all because you had the better year which imo over time could add a bit more prestige to the playoffs if that happened.

I'm a bit biased right now considering I think it's dumb the 49ers are getting penalized because nobody wanted to win the NFC North but I'd ultimately be fine with changing it or keeping it the same. I'm not sure about the playoff expansion they seem adamant about pushing, though.

I'll always be a less is more guy. I want a four team college football playoff, four team baseball playoff, and twelve team pro football playoff. You start making it more than that and you're taking away the importance of the regular season.

Take the NBA for example. More teams make the playoffs than not. I think that's ridiculous. Why have an 82-game season to weed out only 14 of the 30 league teams? The NFL needs to start thinking with their heads and not their wallets. /oldfartwitholdbeliefs

• Like 2

During a long car ride back home last night, I thought about a potential playoff idea.

1. Four eight-team divisions, no more conferences. Divisions will be based on geography:

(Pacific Division: Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, Denver, Arizona, Dallas & Houston

Midwest Division: Kansas City, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis, Green Bay, Chicago, Tennessee, Indianapolis

Eastern Division: Detroit, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Cleveland, Carolina, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Pittsburgh

Atlantic Division: New England, Philadelphia, NYJ, NYG, Baltimore, Washington, Tampa Bay, Miami)

2. Top three teams, based on record, from each division go into the playoffs.

3. 3rd faces 2nd in 2nd's stadium. Winner plays against 1st place at 1st's stadium for the division championship (this preserves the division winner's bye week).

4. The division champions will then re-seeded based on new overall record (this rewards teams who crawled from 2nd/3rd into these playoffs with the chance of a home game later in the playoffs. Teams who look to finish first in the division during the regular season now have little reason to bench starters late into the season, as they need all the wins they can get to avoid being passed up.)

5. 1st place now faces 4th place, 2nd vs. 3rd. Winners face one another in the Super Bowl.