2013 NFL Season Thread

Lint

Wow, what the hell is The Wiz thinking? Detroit has one of the best players in the league, possibly in league history. It's a playoff caliber team with a few adjustments and some good coaching. Tennessee has...what's left of Chris Johnson and Jake Locker. Guess he really enjoyed those post Warner years in Arizona.

Meanwhile, just look at how excited Jim Caldwell is!

display_image.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably, but do you see how the Lions could run a 3-4 on D at even the same level they were at this year? The lions outside linebackers were a major weak point beyond Levy, hence why they played as much nickle as they did.

Edit: And god am I a resigned Lions fan when I don't even fan speak that the Lions GM could survive the season.

I think the reason Mayhew was against it was because he knows if they don't make the playoffs next year, he's gone. I think the Lions D is set up as as a 4-3 and to change now, would mean some great, great growing pains. I'm still at the point when I just don't want Caldwell. I like almost every other candidate out there, better then him.

Wasn't N.O. D much worst than what the Detroit D was this year? Detroit's D, in a 4-3 just need some help at Corner back to become one of the better D's in the league.

The Saints D was in the top 10 in the league. The Lions were not, they could not stop the pass in a pass happy league to save their life. The 4-3 is great for stopping the run, which they're excellent at, but they need to stop the pass a 3-4 makes that much more feasible.

But that was Rob Ryan's first season. Detroit was lower than I thought,at 17th, but whoever come into Detroit isn't working from that blank slate that Rob Ryan and the Saints were. Or was Rob Ryan with the Saints last season (two seasons ago, including this season), and I'm mixing up timelines......by the by I don't really disagree with you, but I understand the idea of not wanting to switch to the 3-4 with the personnel.

Transitioning to a 3-4 is never easy, especially not as easy as people are implying based simply on the Saints turnaround. The Saints had a lot of players that already fit the scheme, whereas Detroit has more that fit 4-3 than 3-4. It's not impossible but they would have to do so much roster turnover that it wouldn't make sense because I don't think they have enough cap room to make it work right away. Honestly, the Lions defense is only a piece or two away from being good as a 4-3 anyways so changing to the 3-4 seems mostly like a cosmetic move to show a coach putting his stamp on the team.

• Like 1