Electronic Entertainment Expo 2013 (E3)

King Ellis

Yeah, I have to ask if you've ever checked the US prices for anything ever if you're pissed at this. It was always going to be the case, just be happy they didn't just change the symbol and cut a bit off the price at least.

Well, they did basically that for the rest of the Europeans... Without cutting anything at all.

SO, overall thoughts on Microsoft conference.

Ditching Microsoft points is a great move, as is going all out with the games. Starting strong with MGS5 was a great move and showing off all these exclusives is a great way to convince people to buy an Xbox One, instead of talking about fucking TV. They'd have been so much better off dedicating ten minutes of this show to the reveal of the console and then the rest staying the same. Not even doing the Xbox Conference. Good show though, Microsoft. And opening in fucking November? When the PS4 is heavily rumoured to come out? That's a god damn declaration of war.

Saints Row 4 is almost like Saints Row got mixed with Crackdown and that's a pretty good thing.

Huh, it sounds even more like that when they talk about 'Clusters', the method of powering up your super power. They're talking about it just like Agility Orbs in Crackdown where you end up getting distracted by going off to collect them.

I've had a lot of customers expecting prices over £500, so I'm sure they'll be ecstatic.

And really, if you bought a smartphone outright these days (HTC One, S4 etc.) you're looking at £400-500, it's not that unreasonable.

The smartphone point raises an argument I've brought up a couple of times recently, though - if you've just put down £400-£500 on a new smartphone, to do it again probably would be quite unreasonable. A console, as a luxury item, doesn't have quite the monopoly it once had. When you're being tempted to buy a new phone every other month that's going to cost you upwards of £300, a new iPad or iProduct of some description every six months, I'm assuming similarly priced, a Kindle here, some other gadget there...it's getting harder and harder for games consoles to hold down that market, and harder to justify that price tag.

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft isn't dumb enough to say it's £429 on stage and then it end up being £500.

Hmmm, seems like Saints is only 2 player co-op. Was hoping they might bump it up to 4.

Also, on the smartphone front, I've never bought one, so I don't know how this all works, but I assume you can pay for them in installments?

I'd be surprised if that option is available for the X-Box One. I know that I, for one, don't have £400+ spare to fork out on a games console as a one-off payment.

• 01:56:40 PM
  • Ben Kuchera

Also, $499 Euros and 499 pounds. So everyone just got fucked on the pricing.

• 01:56:20 PM
  • Ben Kuchera

So more Halo in 2014. Xbox One is coming for $499 in November.

In case he turns out to be wrong. Entirely possible.

Had to catch up after a surge of customers came in. I feel like Sony has a real chance to woo people at their presser. A cheaper price point and a comparable, less-intrusive system could interest a lot of people. MS has a powerhouse of a console and some decent games headed to it, but I'm still not bowled over enough by the software to dissuade my skepticism concerning the hardware.

Also, on the smartphone front, I've never bought one, so I don't know how this all works, but I assume you can pay for them in installments?

I'd be surprised if that option is available for the X-Box One. I know that I, for one, don't have £400+ spare to fork out on a games console as a one-off payment.

Smartphone wise, yeah, you have that option. I'm paying for mine on a contract at £26 a month. And as a student, I also have nowhere near that kind of money.

• 01:56:40 PM
  • Ben Kuchera

Also, $499 Euros and 499 pounds. So everyone just got fucked on the pricing.

• 01:56:20 PM
  • Ben Kuchera

So more Halo in 2014. Xbox One is coming for $499 in November.

In case he turns out to be wrong. Entirely possible.

That just sounds like he was live blogging and misheard what was said. Microsoft has outright stated the price in each region so if I very much doubt they're going to go back on it now.

Talk of DR3 on GT, little tidbit about them wanting to create a much larger world and being able to go into random houses, basements etc. That's something I'd like. Always been annoying seeing these hundreds of buildings in games like GTA but never being able to explore them. In something like DR3, investigating random houses for new tools and weapons, perhaps boarding them up to held defend yourself, that'd be really cool for me. Kind of like State of Decay has gone for.

• Like 1