The Barclays Premier League Thread 2013/14

Lineker

That seems like its paving the way for Ryan Giggs, Manchester United manager.

Maybe Moyes can fail and let that happen so we can get Ryan Giggs, player-manager. Player-managers seem to be a thing of the past and I miss it!

Wasn't that a thing when Glenn Hoddle was a manager? He was better than most of the players and kept getting pissed off when people weren't as good as him.

Only when he was managing in the lower leagues. Silly Glenn.

He was. I think the story was from his Swindon days, and it was less that he didn't like that they weren't as good as him, and more that he couldn't understand why they couldn't do some of the things he asked of them.

Who was the last player-manager in the Premier League? Vialli? Though that must have been late 90's, surely there's been another since?

I think it was Vialli. Thinking about it the last three player-managers in the Prem I'm pretty sure all managed Chelsea. Vialli, Gullit and wasn't Hoddle a player-manager as well?

Certainly McCall beats Vialli - he was playing for Bradford in the PL in 2001, whereas Luca didn't play beyond 1999 (and left Chelsea as manager in 2000).

So far as Chelsea are concerned, our run of three player-managers went Hoddle (1993 - 1996), Gullit (1996 - 1998), Vialli (1998 - 2000).

I think Stuart Pearce was a player-manager once with Forest in the 90's, too, although I think that was a disaster.

All Player Manager's since 2000:

• Andy Preece (Bury, 1999-2004)
  • Stuart McCall (Bradford, 2000)
  • Noel Blake (Exeter, 2000-01)
  • Tony Cottee (Barnet, 2000-01)
  • Andy Hessenthaler (Gillingham, 2000-04)
  • Paul Groves (Grimsby, 2001-04)
  • Paul Simpson (Rochdale, 2002-03; Carlisle 2003-06)
  • Gary McAllister (Coventry, 2002-04)
  • Dennis Wise (Millwall, 2003-05)
  • Paul Ince (inset) (Macclesfield, 2006-07)
  • Carl Fletcher (Plymouth, 2011-13)
  • Edgar Davids (Barnet, 2012-)
  • Gareth Ainsworth (Wycombe, 2012-)