The Barclays Premier League Thread 2014/2015

brenchill

Luke Shaw still looks like a shell of himself from last year. I don't know if it's fitness, form, confidence or the system but he definitely doesn't look right.

It's the system mostly, I think. He's not the greatest going forward but is very good defensively. Playing as a wingback requires him to get forward a lot more and be our primary threat down the left, which isn't his strength. He had to cut back quite often yesterday because he didn't have an option in front of him and taking it past a winger and full back is just too much for him to do all by himself. I think he'd look a lot better in a back four but so would everybody in the team.

So the exact opposite of last year, like TCO said?

While we're being pedantic, TCO actually said that he was "a shell" of last season's player, not the complete opposite.

Honestly, who cares if they made the same point? At least they made valid ones.

In other news, the Messi to United rubbish still being printed. Even if there was a remoted possibly we could afford him or that he would come, it wouldn't matter. LVG would invent a new role for him to fit into a 9 man Midfield.

Incidentally, FM would then add this role as a "new feature" for 2016.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

If nothing else, yesterday should serve as another reminder that we need defenders. Aside from the early Clyne shot, all they really had was the goal. To lose a game after conceding just a couple of chances is not good enough.

It reflects better on the defence than losing a game after conceding a tonne of chances though...surely...

Most of the time, yes, but Southampton sat back for the majority of the game. When teams put any kind of pressure on our defence, we shit the bed. See: Leicester.

Weirdly, we're the exact opposite, if someone puts pressure on we suddenly gain momentum, but if teams just sit back and wait us out it's like we can't be arsed and want them to walk it into the goal.

Luke Shaw still looks like a shell of himself from last year. I don't know if it's fitness, form, confidence or the system but he definitely doesn't look right.

It's the system mostly, I think. He's not the greatest going forward but is very good defensively. Playing as a wingback requires him to get forward a lot more and be our primary threat down the left, which isn't his strength. He had to cut back quite often yesterday because he didn't have an option in front of him and taking it past a winger and full back is just too much for him to do all by himself. I think he'd look a lot better in a back four but so would everybody in the team.

So the exact opposite of last year, like TCO said?

I just don't think he has looked shaw of himself in that WB role this season.

I meant the game we played against Leicester, where our defence couldn't live with the pressure your guys put on.

I know, but you guys put pressure on us first which forced us to react. It's our biggest problem, we're reactive and not proactive. Most of our goals at the start of the season came from being scored against literally minutes before.

How on earth are we only five points off 4th? Things are gonna get really interesting when Sturridge comes back.

Liverpool have been shit, and they are 5 points off 4th.

Villa have been absolutely dire/dreadful/shit/wank, and are only 10 points off Liverpool.

What the fuck is going on this season?

The Premier League not being very good has a lot to do with it.

• Like 2

Stoke defender Robert Huth has been charged for misconduct by the Football Association for comments posted on social media. The German has until 18:00 GMT on 21 January to respond.

Apparently the charge for is replying to a Twitter account that asks whether the people in the pictures they tweet are male or female. :/