2014 NFL Season

Dan

The minority coaches who get hauled in for these nothing interviews must get pretty sick of it. I remember Perry Fewell was being interviewed for nearly every vacancy a few years ago.

I hope they take full advantage of any expenses they can charge on the interviewers!

• Like 1

I did a pretty big project on the merits of the Rooney Rule and applying it to the Football League last year for University so I do love discussing it!

But yeah, I think it causes more issues than it solves over all and couldn't be applied to the Football League pyramid.

This will sound weird, but man, I miss Warrick Dunn. He was awesome, he was with the Bucs when they were in the Lions division and he gave us fits. From what I understand, he's also a very classy guy that has done a ton of good things for the less fortunate.

You guys had Keyshawn Johnson for a bit, and he was a good WR at the time. He also is the subject of one of my favorite hits from a Lion to another guy.

corwin-keyshawn.jpg

I can't find a gif. But man did he nail that fucker, blew his helmet off, left him with grass in his mouth. It would be a flag now probably.

Dunn was certainly a lot better than Michael Pittman, or any halfback they've ever had, though the jury's still out on Martin, thanks to two seasons of injuries.

Let's see....there was Cadillac Williams, who got run into the ground. Earnest Graham, who ran his ass off for the team, but then just sort of flame dout for whatever reason. LeGarroute Blount, who I thought was breaking out, only it turned out that the guy's stupid and lazy (seriously, they had to send a car for him so he could get to practice.) And now, Doug Martin, who's gonna end up as the next Alfred Morris/Trent Richardson. There really is no hope offensively, even with the new coordinator.

QB situation is up in smoke, especially with all this talk of Winston or Mariota, which I think is just dumb. Tampa Bay has never built a franchise QB. We've built QBs for other franchises :shifty: . I'm not crazy about either one of them.

Adam Gase officially interviewed for the Broncos job. Sounds like the interview went very well, enough so that Teryl Austin has pulled his name from consideration when he was going to interview today I believe. This complicates things for Denver as they can't hire Gase until they fulfill the Rooney Rule requirements, so they are now reaching out to Bengals secondary coach Vance Joseph in what could wind up being little more than a token interview.

I get why the Rooney Rule was put into place but stuff like this just makes it seem like a joke especially if it winds up essentially boiling down to an internal promotion.

Gase is interviewing for the Jaguars OC position tomorrow. Odd.

Adam Gase officially interviewed for the Broncos job. Sounds like the interview went very well, enough so that Teryl Austin has pulled his name from consideration when he was going to interview today I believe. This complicates things for Denver as they can't hire Gase until they fulfill the Rooney Rule requirements, so they are now reaching out to Bengals secondary coach Vance Joseph in what could wind up being little more than a token interview.

I get why the Rooney Rule was put into place but stuff like this just makes it seem like a joke especially if it winds up essentially boiling down to an internal promotion.

Gase is interviewing for the Jaguars OC position tomorrow. Odd.

That'll be a tough decision if he gets offered both! :lol:

• Like 2

I'd like to see the Rooney Rule abolished. I understand why it exists, and its sad that there's even a need for it, but frankly its a waste of time. Plus if the rule wasn't in place, it would just show which teams could possibly have racist, bigoted owners and GMs more than it does with the rule in place.

The minority coaches who get hauled in for these nothing interviews must get pretty sick of it. I remember Perry Fewell was being interviewed for nearly every vacancy a few years ago.

I hope they take full advantage of any expenses they can charge on the interviewers!

I remember the Lions got fined for not interviewing a minority coach when they brought in Mariucci. It was silly, we wanted him, he wanted to be here, why even go through some fake bullshit of interviewing a minority candidate when we knew exactly who we wanted? Seems like a huge waste of time on our part and the other dudes part.

Mike Tomlin will forever get touted as the proof the Rooney Rule works. There's a serious problem with minority representation in coaching ranks in the NFL but it doesn't just start at head coach. Minority coaches have a much harder time breaking in, it's gotten much better but I don't think it's at the point where you can say it's not a problem. With the head coach interviews it's just silly to have the same black coordinator get called for 3-4 interviews just to fulfill some requirement. It's insulting to everyone involved. Sure, maybe one in awhile that candidate will blow you out of the water and make you reconsider your stance, but the odds of that happening are pretty slim in any hiring practice. If we had more equal representation with assistants and coordinators then the Rooney Rule wouldn't even be needed in most cases.

Tony Dungy wrote a pretty good article a few years back saying that it's an issue that starts on the college level. He said there aren't enough black former athletes going to grad school and working as grad assistants. So when coaching positions open up, it's the white grad students that are getting the jobs, because that's what color the vast majority of those people are. He was basically pleading with the young black athlete to stop thinking he's going to go pro and to continue his education and develop into a coach.

I'll see if I can find the article when I'm home and on the computer.