The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Does he really have a legal leg to stand on? I mean they paid his wages and when he was fully fit, he played. The way they handled it was shit but I don't think anything illegal was done.

That's what I was thinking. He signed a four year contract in 2011, and was presumably released at the end of his contract or paid what he was owed. Is it really that out of sorts to think a 32 year old midfielder at the end of his contract would be let go? There's got to be more to it, surely?

Its gotta be behind the scenes stuff. It's the only thing that makes sense with this. On the face of it they let him go at the end of his contract that's all we know. Did it via phone which was a bit shitty but that's about it. 

Did it via a phone call to Ryan Taylor. They told Taylor they were releasing him, then asked him to pass the phone to Jonas.

He isn't suing them over his dismissal though, is he? He's suing them for his treatment whilst employed, on discrimination grounds. So it isn't necessarily anything to do with his release, how they told him or any of that.

I don't think anything's even that clear yet, which is why I'm reserving comment completely unless this plays out. God knows what goes on at the club these days. 

Danny Ings' season of sitting on the bench is over as he is out for the remainder with a cruciate injury.

He's started a fair few games this season so his season of starting most of the games so far for us so is now over <_<

Gutted he's injured, he has played well lately and I've been impressed by him and his work ethic. Hopefully he can recover and appear before the end of the season.

So we've lost Gomez and Ings to the same injury in the same week...Now we've got two fit strikers and one fit left back in Moreno (I'm not counting Enrique, god knows the last time he's played any football and done something other than hosting Mario Kart or FIFA tournaments)

Losing Ings hurts a lot. His work ethic and pressing ability made/makes him a great fit for Klopp's style of play. We're going to really miss Ings I feel. Absolutely gutted for him. And how many times are our players going to get freaking hurt on international duty!? Lost Gomez and Ings for the whole year now this season; Sturridge's injury problems last season started with England too. Balls.

Danny Ings' season of sitting on the bench is over as he is out for the remainder with a cruciate injury.

He's started a fair few games this season so his season of starting most of the games so far for us so is now over <_<

Gutted he's injured, he has played well lately and I've been impressed by him and his work ethic. Hopefully he can recover and appear before the end of the season.

So we've lost Gomez and Ings to the same injury in the same week...Now we've got two fit strikers and one fit left back in Moreno (I'm not counting Enrique, god knows the last time he's played any football and done something other than hosting Mario Kart or FIFA tournaments)

Ings has started *really* well. It's awful that he's injured. :(

Enrique played for the u21s recently! :shifty:

Edited by TLHobo

Liverpool fans at least now have an excuse as to why it isn't their year :shifty: 

But it is our year   

Edited by David Marrio
  • Like 2

• Admin

Jose's at it again; dude can't help himself:

José Mourinho has branded the Football Association’s decision to hand him a suspended one-match stadium ban as “absolutely astonishing”, while dismissing the accompanying fine as “a disgrace” and suggesting he is only surprised the governing body has not demanded he start wearing an electronic tag.

The Chelsea manager was fined £50,000 after accepting a misconduct charge for claiming referees had grown “afraid” to give decisions in his team’s favour after the home defeat to Southampton. Mourinho has effectively been given a 12-month good behaviour bond with the stadium ban to be enforced if he is found guilty of another breach of FA rules relating to comments made to or through the media before 13 October, 2016.

Yet he still used the launch event for his book as a platform on which to vent his frustrations at the governing body, whom he feels are repeatedly and unfairly singling him out. Mourinho had accepted at the time he would likely provoke sanction with his post-match comments after the Southampton game but he was taken aback by the severity of the punishment and has grown exasperated at perceived inconsistencies and double standards within the FA’s disciplinary process.

Those centre on the FA’s reluctance to charge Arsène Wenger with an offence after he pushed Mourinho having encroached into the home manager’s technical area in a game against Arsenal last season, and the fact the Frenchman escaped sanction for suggesting Mike Dean’s refereeing of the clubs’ meeting in September had been “naive” and “weak”.

“Every word I say is a risk,” Mourinho said. “I am just happy I don’t have an electronic tag but I think it’s not far from that. I also think that [to be fined] £50,000, in the world where we live today, is an absolute disgrace. An absolute disgrace. And I also think that the possibility of getting a stadium ban is also something absolutely astonishing.

“But more difficult for me to understand is when I compare different people with different behaviours or with similar behaviours, with different words or with similar words. I know I’m not English. I know my English is just good enough to work in this country but is not perfect. But the difference between saying ‘afraid’ and ‘weak and naive’? The difference is £50,000 and [a potential] one-match stadium ban. So, for me, the conclusion is there is something that, now, we know.

“One, we can push people in the technical area. We can, no problem. So anyone in the technical area, we can push. Two, the word ‘afraid’ is a punishment, and a hard punishment. But to say the referee was ‘weak and naive’, referring to one of the top referees in this country and in Europe, we can do. So I think the only good thing of this last decision by the FA is that every manager in this country can write in a little book and, when he goes to a press conference, he knows that ‘afraid’ costs £50,000. ‘Weak and naive’, you can use.

“For football in this country, what is more important is a word rather than aggression. So now we know. They are the only two good things I take from that. It’s good for everyone. It’s the only reason I can still walk in London without an electronic tag.”

Those comments are unlikely to be considered worthy of a further improper conduct charge, which would see the stadium ban evoked, with the FA understood to consider them an attack on the governing body rather than the referees.

Chelsea are still awaiting the FA’s written reasons behind the punishment but are likely to appeal.

Mourinho’s side languish 16th, with four defeats and eight points from their eight Premier League games to date. The latest loss to Southampton prompted the Chelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, to issue a public vote of confidence in the manager, with the onus now on Mourinho to instigate a revival beginning with Saturday’s visit of Aston Villa to Stamford Bridge.

A number of players have used the international window to back the 52-year-old, though Mourinho was forced to confront suggestions an undercurrent of mutiny remains at the club. “My reaction, and I’m only speaking about the last three or four days, is Asmir Begovic said: ‘We have the best manager in the world,’” he added. “Kurt Zouma said the same. John Terry: ‘We have the manager we want, the one who can help us to revive this situation.’ Diego Costa: ‘If you ask every player in the world, they will all answer the same, that they’d like to work with three managers and one of them is this one.’

“Who else? Cesc Fàbregas, the same. Ramires, the same. Ruben Loftus-Cheek, the same. Gary Cahill, the same. Eden Hazard, very similar.” He then added with a smile: “So I think the mutiny must be … must be Baba, Baba (Rahman) … who else? Papy (Djilobodji)? (Radamel) Falcao? Oscar? So these four don’t play Saturday for sure. “I’m not going to run away from the moment. The results have been bad but I’m not going to run away from it and I believe more good moments are going to happen again. I signed a new contract a few months ago. When I signed it was not to run away from my responsibilities but to work and fight and wait for the results of our work.”

Edited by Lineker