The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Four games is a series of events. You said "event", referring to picture taken from a single game.

silly billy :/

Either way, your argument is all wrong because he has a good scoring record regardless of the last four games.

Edited by metalman

Nerf's narrative is wrong anyway. There's been no indication at any point that Bayern were underwhelmed with Lewandowski. The guy was joint second top goal scorer in the Bundesliga last season and Bayern's joint top goalscorer in the Bundesliga (both with Robben) and finished the season with a goals to game rate of just under 1 in 2 in all competitions - better than every other Bayern player who isn't called Arjen, and was Bayern's top goal scorer in all competitions to boot.

Nerf's narrative is wrong anyway. There's been no indication at any point that Bayern were underwhelmed with Lewandowski. The guy was joint second top goal scorer in the Bundesliga last season and Bayern's joint top goalscorer in the Bundesliga (both with Robben) and finished the season with a goals to game rate of just under 1 in 2 in all competitions - better than every other Bayern player who isn't called Arjen, and was Bayern's top goal scorer in all competitions to boot.

Indication like being dropped for big games, reports earlier this year that Pep doesn't want him, that he doesn't fit their style of play?

At clubs like Barca, Real and Bayern there's a lot more to it than "scores goals." Mario Gomez scored goals, lots of goals, and they still didn't want him anymore. Lewandowski might have convinced them otherwise with the end of last season and his recent form, but to suggest there's been no indication at any point that he's been underwhelming is simply not true. There's been countless articles looking into why he and Gotze have failed to replicate their Dortmund form. It might well be media bollocks, but it wouldn't even be a conversation if Lewa was the irreplaceable machine you're suggesting he is.

But, sure, Nerf is always wrong. Just like when Spurs signed Lamela and I was an idiot for suggesting that he's inconsistent. Go about your business.

Lewandowski played 31 times out of 34 Bundesliga games last season. The times he was dropped to the bench or not used entirely were:

vs Hamburger SV - September 20th 0-0
vs Werder Bremen - October 18th 6-0
vs Mainz - December 19th 2-1
vs Schalke - February 3rd 1-1
vs Hannover - March 7th 3-1
vs Leverkusen - May 2nd 0-2

Of those teams, just Leverkusen and Schalke finished in the top half of the table, and by the Leverkusen game Bayern were champions or were champions in everything but name.

Lewandowski played in all 12 of Bayern Champions League games. The only games he did not start were the final group game against CSKA Moscow which Bayern won 3-0 and the first leg of their Round of 16 tie against Shakhtar Donesk which Bayern drew 0-0.

But please, tell me more about how Lewandowski gets dropped for the big games.

Edit: Oh, and for the record, he also played in all 5 of Bayerns DFB-Pokal games, scoring twice.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

Lewandowski played 31 times out of 34 Bundesliga games last season. The times he was dropped to the bench or not used entirely were:

vs Hamburger SV - September 20th 0-0
vs Werder Bremen - October 18th 6-0
vs Mainz - December 19th 2-1
vs Schalke - February 3rd 1-1
vs Hannover - March 7th 3-1
vs Leverkusen - May 2nd 0-2

Of those teams, just Leverkusen and Schalke finished in the top half of the table, and by the Leverkusen game Bayern were champions or were champions in everything but name.

Lewandowski played in all 12 of Bayern Champions League games. The only games he did not start were the final group game against CSKA Moscow which Bayern won 3-0 and the first leg of their Round of 16 tie against Shakhtar Donesk which Bayern drew 0-0.

But please, tell me more about how Lewandowski gets dropped for the big games.

Edit: Oh, and for the record, he also played in all 5 of Bayerns DFB-Pokal games, scoring twice.

The Shakhtar game was the one I had in mind. I remember there being a big fuss over it at the time. But, admittedly, those are some supportive stats.

Put simply, there is absolutely no chance that Lewandowski is going to Liverpool.

It's an easy link for the media to make with Klopp coming to town. An easy link that makes zero sense, but hey, the media.

Edited by Alexis Sanchez

If Lewandowski moves he's going to another top European club but I honestly can't see that happening. Reus may move on but if he does it'll be a champions league club that he moves to and I'm far from certain that the bindippers will be a champions league club next season.

• Like 1

Indication like being dropped for big games, reports earlier this year that Pep doesn't want him, that he doesn't fit their style of play?

At clubs like Barca, Real and Bayern there's a lot more to it than "scores goals." Mario Gomez scored goals, lots of goals, and they still didn't want him anymore. Lewandowski might have convinced them otherwise with the end of last season and his recent form, but to suggest there's been no indication at any point that he's been underwhelming is simply not true. There's been countless articles looking into why he and Gotze have failed to replicate their Dortmund form. It might well be media bollocks, but it wouldn't even be a conversation if Lewa was the irreplaceable machine you're suggesting he is.

But, sure, Nerf is always wrong. Just like when Spurs signed Lamela and I was an idiot for suggesting that he's inconsistent. Go about your business.

You have offered one example of a time when Bayern didn't want a player that scores goals. That isn't demonstrative of a general trend. In fact, I can offer you several more examples of players who scored lots of goals that Bayern did want to keep.

Also, you have offered one example of a time when you were correct. That isn't demonstrative of a general trend. In fact, I can offer you several more examples of times when you were wrong.

• Like 1

What was inconsistent about 15 goals in 33 games as a 21 year old attacking midfielder? :P 

• Like 2

• Admin

Sam Allardyce has confirmed one of football’s worst kept secrets: he cannot stand Arsène Wenger.

In his new autobiography, serialised in The Sun, Allardyce, who has just taken charge at Sunderland, describes his Arsenal counterpart as an “arrogant” coach and a bad loser. “I enjoyed beating Arsenal more than anyone when I was in charge at Bolton,” said Allardyce. “We’d really got to them and Arsène Wenger hated us.

“There was one time he wouldn’t shake hands with me at Highbury because we got a draw. I saw him ripping his tie off and throwing it on the floor in anger. He takes it all very personally and has an air of arrogance. He’s not one for inviting you into his office for a drink after the game.

“The more I wound him up, the more I liked it. He tried to influence refs through the media and create a perception that we were bullies committing all the fouls, while his team just wanted to play. It seemed he wanted a rule where they should be allowed to do what they wanted with the ball, without us being allowed to tackle them. It was a skill finding their weaknesses and how to exploit them. But when we succeeded the press were usually on about Arsenal having an off-day and the ref being soft.”

Allardyce – who makes it clear in his book that he does not have much time for Rafael Benítez either – takes Sunderland to the Emirates in early December. It promises to be a frosty afternoon.

:lol: 

• Like 1