The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Who was in charge of the transfers? Rodgers or someone linked to FSG?

He was part of a comittee that included scouts and a couple of directors.

The whole thing was the result of Rodgers not wanting to work with a Director of Football. During Rodgers tenure there were times when it seemed the comittee was buying players Rodgers didn't want (or the comittee were a scapegoat for players not working out).

Add to that there were a few Windows were Liverpool were clearly targeting players and making a big hoopla over wanting to sign them - and not getting them. Last summer that seemed to get sorted but there's still strange inconsistencies that crop up.

Rodgers patently said Liverpool weren't going to sign Balotelli. He also said last season's massive transfer spend was a one off. Liverpool bought Balotelli and six or so new first team players in the window that just closed. That seems to smack of problems with the comittee.

To be fair,  that seemed to change in pre season. Every player signed in the last window, it was made clear by Ian Ayre, was of Rodgers' choosing. But it was not with out some public calls by Rodgers for FSG to let him get who he wanted.

Honestly, aside from Liverpool still having a second choice keeper who cannot challenge Mingolet, it was a good summer of signings. Although it has come too late. I get the feeling Rodgers lost his way and probably some self belief over the course of last season.

Well the players you signed are quite good yes, but Liverpool could have definitely gone for cheaper and maybe better options. Iago Falque was available at about £5.5m, Draxler was worth £18m, Dybala was about £25m. In total that would be £48.5m spent on three quality players instead of £57.5m on Firmino and Benteke. The market isn't as cheap as it used to be, but smarter windows can and should be made.

I find looking at prices for what other players went for is a bad way of looking at things. Who's to say that Draxler would want to come to us for example? It's easy saying oh but such and such went to this team for that amount. 

They were probably the best players we could get. Draxler for example is a guy who's been playing champions league football and will continue to do so you'd imagine. Dybala has went to a team who should win Serie A and will be in the Champions League. 

The appeal of playing in the Premier League is starting to get the same value as playing in the UCL. Wijnaldum could be playing anywhere in Europe, he's at Newcastle. Dmitri Payet was a highlight in all of Europe, he's at West Ham. Gokhan Inler was Napoli's captain and now he's at Leicester. It took a whole 2 months for teams to show real interest in Draxler, who would be playing the same competitions Liverpool are if he was at Schalke but in a better league had an early approach been done. Dybala was at Palermo, it's quite obvious why would he want to move to a club like Liverpool, especially with the fact that he would start about 80~90% of the games playing in a much better league and probably earning much more than what he's earning at Juventus right now.

Edited by Rafael
  • Like 1

• Admin

Brendan Rodgers has released a statement following his sacking from Liverpool on Sunday, saying he is "incredibly disappointed" to be leaving Anfield.

He says: "It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game's great clubs for the past three years. 

"I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club's magnificent fans can be proud of."

He also describes the squad as still being in "transition" and extends his thanks to the club's owners, Fenway Sports Group, the fans and backroom staff.

And Mourinho has been charged with misconduct in relation to media comments he made after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat against Southampton, the Football Association has announced.

• Like 1

The whole thing was the result of Rodgers not wanting to work with a Director of Football. During Rodgers tenure there were times when it seemed the comittee was buying players Rodgers didn't want (or the comittee were a scapegoat for players not working out).

Add to that there were a few Windows were Liverpool were clearly targeting players and making a big hoopla over wanting to sign them - and not getting them. Last summer that seemed to get sorted but there's still strange inconsistencies that crop up.

Rodgers patently said Liverpool weren't going to sign Balotelli. He also said last season's massive transfer spend was a one off. Liverpool bought Balotelli and six or so new first team players in the window that just closed. That seems to smack of problems with the comittee.

To be fair,  that seemed to change in pre season. Every player signed in the last window, it was made clear by Ian Ayre, was of Rodgers' choosing. But it was not with out some public calls by Rodgers for FSG to let him get who he wanted.

Honestly, aside from Liverpool still having a second choice keeper who cannot challenge Mingolet, it was a good summer of signings. Although it has come too late. I get the feeling Rodgers lost his way and probably some self belief over the course of last season.

Well the players you signed are quite good yes, but Liverpool could have definitely gone for cheaper and maybe better options. Iago Falque was available at about £5.5m, Draxler was worth £18m, Dybala was about £25m. In total that would be £48.5m spent on three quality players instead of £57.5m on Firmino and Benteke. The market isn't as cheap as it used to be, but smarter windows can and should be made.

Draxler was £25.5

Draxler was £25.5

25 quid? I could have bought him for Orient

• Like 4

Draxler was £25.5

25 quid? I could have bought him for Orient

That 50p would have put him out of Orient's budget.

• Like 3

It looks pretty much nailed on that Klopp will be the next Liverpool manager. His quotes are a little different to the stuff Brendan used to say:

On Arsène Wenger “He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. I like heavy metal.”

On Henrikh Mkhitaryan, the Borussia Dortmund midfielder “Mkhitaryan fits us like an a*** on a bucket. What he offers is exactly what we need.”

On Shinji Kagawa, the Japan midfielder, who left Dortmund for Manchester United “We cried for 20 minutes, in each other’s arms, when he left. He is one of the best players in the world and now he plays 20 minutes at Manchester United — on the left wing!

On his wife, Ulla, a writer “She wrote a children’s book. It’s like Harry Potter — but about football. There’s no Harry Potter flying on his f****** stick — just football.”

• Like 1

The question is, how many minutes will pass before some newspaper or other makes 'Klopp's Kop' a thing?

Its already been done :P 

Moyes is apparently in the frame for the Sunderland gig.

I think this would be a tough gig for most managers. Sunderland have been hovering above relegation for far too long and are bound to go down sooner than later. It'd be great for Sunderland to get him in but I don't think it's the best career move for him. 

I personally think they're mad not to go for Ancelotti. But it could work out really well for them, we will see.

I would be made up with either of them. But I think Klopp is probably best suited for a team in our situation. 

Eh, I can see it. Right now Sociedad sit just above relegation in La Liga, and dropped positions last year despite previously improving year on year for half a decade. I don't think Moyes would be too attached to staying, nor would Sociedad entirely mind him going. Not saying it's happening, just saying it's not outside the realms of possibility.

I'd be fairly surprised if Klopp hasn't been talking to Liverpool for a while. Especially given the timing.