The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

The timing though only make me think/hope they've definitely got their man sealed to come in. If Pool aren't getting Klopp, Carlo, or someone else they might covet like De Boer, then this decision becomes even more baffling.

Echo reckons FSG are using the international break to assess candidates. So, no, it wouldn't appear there's anyone ready to go, which is fucking ridiculous.

Still sad to see Rodgers go. Gave me the most exciting season I've had in sixteen years of watching football, it just all unraveled spectacularly. He'll be successful wherever he ends up next.

Brendan gave Liverpool one of the best seasons ever. But I think it broke him. Liverpool breaks managers. 

He went into the game today knowing he was sacked. He had to deal with the confusion of the transfer comittee and not having his best striker for a year and FSG are a confusing lot.  But he gave us 2013/14.

Brendan won 11 games in a row. He did amazing things.

I hope Klopp or whoever can do some thing and FSG will support them properly.

• Like 1

Sissoko (or his agent) has a bad habit of talking utter shit to the press about playing for Champions League clubs etc, forgetting the fact he has one good game in ten and the only Champions League teams he could get a starting place at are Ukrainian. He's touch and go for a starting place for us, never mind France.

To an outsider who hasn't been paying any attention to the Premier League this season, it's remarkable how Rodgers has lost his job before ... Mourinho

Rodgers did not have the benefit of having either a) just won the league, or b) just signed a new four year contract, in fairness. :shifty: 

• Like 1

Who was in charge of the transfers? Rodgers or someone linked to FSG?

He was part of a comittee that included scouts and a couple of directors.

The whole thing was the result of Rodgers not wanting to work with a Director of Football. During Rodgers tenure there were times when it seemed the comittee was buying players Rodgers didn't want (or the comittee were a scapegoat for players not working out).

Add to that there were a few Windows were Liverpool were clearly targeting players and making a big hoopla over wanting to sign them - and not getting them. Last summer that seemed to get sorted but there's still strange inconsistencies that crop up.

Rodgers patently said Liverpool weren't going to sign Balotelli. He also said last season's massive transfer spend was a one off. Liverpool bought Balotelli and six or so new first team players in the window that just closed. That seems to smack of problems with the comittee.

To be fair,  that seemed to change in pre season. Every player signed in the last window, it was made clear by Ian Ayre, was of Rodgers' choosing. But it was not with out some public calls by Rodgers for FSG to let him get who he wanted.

Honestly, aside from Liverpool still having a second choice keeper who cannot challenge Mingolet, it was a good summer of signings. Although it has come too late. I get the feeling Rodgers lost his way and probably some self belief over the course of last season.

You guys saying that Rodgers almost won you the league do remember that a certain Uruguayan pretty much did that by himself, right? That one "achievement" aside, Rodgers has accomplished the sum total of absolutely bollock all.

Under Rodgers he went from a 10 goal a season striker to a 20 and then 30 goal a season striker (who next season at another club went on to score 16), and Liverpool achieved the third highest goals total in Premier League history. Rodgers wasn't a perfect manager, nobody would claim that, but he achieved a respectable amount with what he had and a lot of criticism, justified or otherwise.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 5

The thing that disappointed me with Rodgers was we started to have an identity and he came in with this idea of the team pressing high and it all judt disappeared. 

He done well with the club. We played some brilliant football and got our best finish. Everything did seem to line up perfectly for us that year and he also got us to the Champions League. 

In terms of trophies yes he did fuck all but he gave me one of the best and most entertaining Liverpool sides I've seen in my life.  I wish him the best but the writing was on the wall for him. He could easily do a good job at a team like Villa or Newcastle. He's a good manager he just says daft shite. 

I also feel he was an easy target for the press and fans from both the club and other clubs to easily criticise. It's not just down to him, the players haven't performed at a good enough level at times.  

Edited by David Marrio

I was kind of amused by the commentator in our match vs Arsenal getting confused and saying Chelsea had just beaten Manchester United 3-0, presumably because the sight of Cech and Mata talking to each other gave him flashbacks. :P

Stoker is that you?  

The only good thing about that video was the Southampton fans behind him. Fans of big teams crying on Youtube about not winning every week are embarrassing. 

On Liverpool: when will these clubs realize that selling your best player just isn't worth it? Spurs sold Bale and shit hit the fan, Liverpool sold Suarez and shit hit the fan for them. Sure Suarez would have gotten abuse after the WC but he thrives on that. He was under contract and I doubt he'd have refused to play. City wouldn't sell Aguero, Chelsea wouldn't sell Hazard, Barca wouldn't sell Messi etc.

You're not going to compete by selling your only real world-class player.

Suarez was obviously the key player in that second place season, but losing Sturridge for basically all of last season was a bigger blow. He played 12 league last season (and scored 4, which ain't bad) despite being more broken than Jack Wiltshire, and his 2 in 2 this season suggests that if he'd been fit, he'd definitely had scored a similar number of goals as he did in that second place.

Who was in charge of the transfers? Rodgers or someone linked to FSG?

He was part of a comittee that included scouts and a couple of directors.

The vast, vast majority of clubs operate this way. The only difference is nobody else has been stupid enough to give it such a grand title. The Committee was a convenient get out for Rodgers - player doesn't work out? They wanted him, he was forced on me, not my fault honest.

I'm surprised at Benji saying the media were unnecessarily harsh on him as well. He had a phenomenally easy ride in the mainstream press, compared to the treatment Houllier/Benitez/Dalglish got he had it easy.

• Like 1