The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

The punishment for Jose's transgressions is fine. The fact Wenger gets away with what he does is staggering.

Does Wenger come close to how often Jose does it, i.e. every time he loses? Both get away with it more often than not, but Jose's constant 'persecution complex' (which of course is just deflection) is utterly embarrassing. Never mind the fact he can't finish an interview without mentioning Wenger without naming him.

You ask if Wenger whines about refs every time he loses? He certainly does in a lot of them. They tend not to be immediate headline talking points across Sky Sports News so it's difficult to keep track. It's just unfortunate for the FA that very similar remarks made by two different people a couple of weeks apart should receive such starkly different treatment.

(I would also make a direct comparison with regard to shoving another manager mid-match, but I can't off-hand think of a second  case of it.)

• Like 1

I used to like Mourinho but every time he opens his mouth these days I just roll my eyes and want him to shut the hell up. Maybe he should stop crying about everyone and everything being out to get him and his team and work out how to turn around Chelsea's woeful start to the season.

• Like 3

Maybe he should stop crying about everyone and everything being out to get him and his team and work out how to turn around Chelsea's woeful start to the season.

Because the few minutes in which he is obligated to be in front of a microphone each week is totally the time when that would otherwise be happening.

• Like 2

He doesn't have to go on like he does in every single press conference and post-match interview though. That speech after the Southampton game was ludicrous, and totally embarrassing. He looks like a man cracking up. Every other manager going through a rough spot doesn't act the way he does. I'm not defending Wenger either, but why does Jose need to indirectly have a pop at him in every interview as well? He isn't 'obligated' to do that either.

He continues to moan about his treatment, his team's treatment etc. when the reality is, Chelsea are suffering the same as everyone else does. These latest comments he's been fined for, and is now still complaining about, are from a game in which his team arguably benefited from refereeing decisions more than they were cost. He should just get on with the job, and in his 'obligatory' pre-match press conference today, should have refrained from talking about his punishment/past games as best he can (I know journos inevitably ask questions on these matters) and focus on the Aston Villa game that he's there to talk about.

• Like 2

Edited the original article posted; there are some additional quotes.

Gay Cahill...

Also I like the idea his English is poor even though his first footballing role was as a translator twenty years ago.

(Having read the extended quotes) I do love the idea of a player mutiny led by Baba Rahman and Papy Djilobodji.

John Terry certainly wouldn't join it.

He doesn't have to go on like he does in every single press conference and post-match interview though. That speech after the Southampton game was ludicrous, and totally embarrassing. He looks like a man cracking up. Every other manager going through a rough spot doesn't act the way he does. I'm not defending Wenger either, but why does Jose need to indirectly have a pop at him in every interview as well? He isn't 'obligated' to do that either.

He continues to moan about his treatment, his team's treatment etc. when the reality is, Chelsea are suffering the same as everyone else does. These latest comments he's been fined for, and is now still complaining about, are from a game in which his team arguably benefited from refereeing decisions more than they were cost. He should just get on with the job, and in his 'obligatory' pre-match press conference today, should have refrained from talking about his punishment/past games as best he can (I know journos inevitably ask questions on these matters) and focus on the Aston Villa game that he's there to talk about.

I agree. To me it's nothing more than Mourinho hitting the self destruct button, again. If he just focused on his own team and his own conduct, he would probably get along fine. His need to have a pop at Wenger is just embarrassing and often they're not even related to football in a sense, they are just personal insults which is staggering. How can he not see that with every passing interview he is making his situation worse and further tarnishing his reputation. He doesn't seem to have a clue how to manage a team long term, it's very strange as he is clearly a top manager.

• Like 1

Strange twisting of the original point here. To clarify:

* Mourinho's criticisms of referees etc. is stupid and he should do less of it.

* Wenger's criticisms of referees etc. is stupid and he should do less of it.

* Mourinho has been punished by the FA for his criticism of referees etc.

* Wenger has not been punished by the FA for his criticism of referees etc.

I also adore Arsenal fans coming in and acting holier-than-thou in relation to Mourinho mentioning/insulting/obsessing over Wenger in his interviews. Fucking hell, wasn't it only the other week that Wenger was going off about Mourinho while at a Champions League press conference, for goodness's sake? Both of them are fueling the fire, but only one of them seems to get any grief about it.

In these latest set of quotes, Jose does himself no favours by criticising the nature of the fine/suspended ban in addition to the FA's inconsistency, because it allows one and all to ignore the latter point and bleat on about the former. We shall no doubt see something similar to last year wherein the 'campaign' quote, which was directed against SKY SPORTS, was twisted to mean a 'campaign' by referees themselves and that is the narrative that has stuck, much to the glee of everyone else.

• Like 1