The Barclays Premier League thread 2015/2016

Lineker

Sherwood will, one day, take credit for building the team. 

Anyway, here's a pic of The Hawthorns' away end ahead of the West Brom-Liverpool game tomorrow.

The 96 red seats will remain unoccupied and will each have a name of the fans who died at Hillsborough. Nice touch. 

FB_IMG_1463218245089.jpg

• Like 3

I want more insane Tim Sherwood managerial roles. He has a knack for doing well initially and then crashing and burning.

Stories circulating about what Chelsea will do while Stamford Bridge gets rebuilt. Since it's looking like they won't start construction (and therefore require a temporary home) until 2018 rather than 2017, the issue of a possible groundshare with Spurs at Wembley suddenly becomes moot because they'll have moved back out by then.

HOWEVER, apparently they're now looking around and thinking "Hang on...we could pay the FA many millions of pounds per year for Wembley OR we could pay maybe one or two million per year to groundshare in...the Olympic Stadium."

I cannot decide whether I hate this idea because "ugh, West Ham", or if I love this idea because "lol West Ham, you get your shiny new taxpayer-funded home and suddenly have to share it with one of the clubs you hate the most...KARMA, BITCHES."

9 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Stories circulating about what Chelsea will do while Stamford Bridge gets rebuilt. Since it's looking like they won't start construction (and therefore require a temporary home) until 2018 rather than 2017, the issue of a possible groundshare with Spurs at Wembley suddenly becomes moot because they'll have moved back out by then.

HOWEVER, apparently they're now looking around and thinking "Hang on...we could pay the FA many millions of pounds per year for Wembley OR we could pay maybe one or two million per year to groundshare in...the Olympic Stadium."

I cannot decide whether I hate this idea because "ugh, West Ham", or if I love this idea because "lol West Ham, you get your shiny new taxpayer-funded home and suddenly have to share it with one of the clubs you hate the most...KARMA, BITCHES."

And get even more money!

12 hours ago, Lineker said:

A message from Sunderland fans mocking Newcastle United’s relegation is set to be flown over St James’ Park during their home game with Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

The people who do this are the literal worst.

• Like 2

It's not my sort of thing, but I do enjoy seeing The Mags that are raging about it happening as if they've never took the piss out of our or others' misfortunes in the past. I mean they went to Villa last week giving it the biggun and taking the piss out of them for being relegated without their fate sealed yet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lineker said:

A message from Sunderland fans mocking Newcastle United’s relegation is set to be flown over St James’ Park during their home game with Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Banter.

Multiple grown adults actually paid their own money for that.

16 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

It's not my sort of thing, but I do enjoy seeing The Mags that are raging about it happening as if they've never took the piss out of our or others' misfortunes in the past. I mean they went to Villa last week giving it the biggun and taking the piss out of them for being relegated without their fate sealed yet.

To be fair that was a response to Villa celebrating the last time we got relegated and generally being awful shits about the whole affair. Karma, etc. That said, I'd rather the fans have 'turned the other cheek' but laying the blame of this solely at Geordie feet is way off the mark.

Now as a fan that routes for all north east teams (I'd rather Sunderland stay up than Norwich, if it wasn't to be Newcastle) this kind of shit infuriates me. I'm not fussed we got relegated, I'm not interested enough. But for a lot of people this is a genuinely traumatic event and now some horrible shits are rubbing salt in the wounds.

The only reason to do this is because you get off on other people's misery and if that's the kind of person you are, then you are fucking awful. And all over a game which is ultimately absolutely pointless. Silly shit man.

4 minutes ago, Twist said:

To be fair that was a response to Villa celebrating the last time we got relegated and generally being awful shits about the whole affair. Karma, etc. That said, I'd rather the fans have 'turned the other cheek' but laying the blame of this solely at Geordie feet is way off the mark.

Now as a fan that routes for all north east teams (I'd rather Sunderland stay up than Norwich, if it wasn't to be Newcastle) this kind of shit infuriates me. I'm not fussed we got relegated, I'm not interested enough. But for a lot of people this is a genuinely traumatic event and now some horrible shits are rubbing salt in the wounds.

The only reason to do this is because you get off on other people's misery and if that's the kind of person you are, then you are fucking awful. And all over a game which is ultimately absolutely pointless. Silly shit man.

It's just the nature of football support. I mean Newcastle did make two magazines to "commemorate" our 19 and 15 point seasons. It's a shitty part of the game yeah but to act like it doesn't happen on the other side of the divide is highly ignorant. With Boro coming up it is shame that one of us had to go down, it's good for the area to have our teams in the prem. 

5 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

It's just the nature of football support. I mean Newcastle did make two magazines to "commemorate" our 19 and 15 point seasons. It's a shitty part of the game yeah but to act like it doesn't happen on the other side of the divide is highly ignorant. With Boro coming up it is shame that one of us had to go down, it's good for the area to have our teams in the prem. 

I never said it didn't happen on the other side of the divide. I was pointing out that your original post implied that it didn't, re: Villa fans. -_-

And just because it's the 'nature of football support' doesn't make it okay. Still makes people that participate in such behaviour, on all sides, fucking awful.

3 minutes ago, Twist said:

I never said it didn't happen on the other side of the divide. I was pointing out that your original post implied that it didn't, re: Villa fans. -_-

And just because it's the 'nature of football support' doesn't make it okay. Still makes people that participate in such behaviour, on all sides, fucking awful.

Afwful is a bit strong isn't it? I mean if you can't handle a bit of piss taking you need to get a grip. The same people that are getting bent out of shape about things like this are the ones that dish it out on a regular basis. 

For every fan that takes the piss or pays into a flyover there are many more that raise money for other causes related to football, the fact that Sunderland Supporters banded together to raise £22,000 after the Malaysia Airlines disaster is an indication of that, swings and roundabouts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twist said:

The difference mate, is that when Newcastle relegated themselves against us a few years back, we were in 6th place. This season, it was a little hypocritical of your lot to be giving it all that when you yourselves were sitting pretty in 18th or wherever.

But the biggest point that I think the Newcastle fans missed was that it's all well and good mocking Villa, but you won't be able to outdo us in mocking ourselves. Oh and I don't think that we shed any tears. 

• Like 1

Basically, Sunderland and Newcastle fans are both silly and should stop being so obsessed with each other. Having bragging rights because one finished higher than the other in the bottom six when both clubs could easily be comfortable top flight teams is just lame.

• Like 5

I'd be delighted with mid-table mediocrity next season. That's a sign of how shit we've been in my existence. Only highlight was being 2nd at Christmas in 2000 and I was 9, so, yeah.  Well, that and The League Cup Final, was a good day out despite not getting the result I wanted.

So it's the last day of the season in a dead rubber/exhibition match, coming after several games in which most of the senior squad did themselves no real favours, and EVEN NOW Loftus-Cheek can't get a start.

*overturns table*