NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

Paul Pierce signed a one-day contract with Boston so he could retire a Celtic :)

Also, I'm a little disappointed that the whole thing with Lonzo and Big Baller shoes may just be a ploy to drum up interest from Nike, Adidas, etc. Although they're $500, I dig the idea of an athlete (black one at that) going independent, keeping control of their likeness and avoiding being taken advantage of by a big corporation.

10 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Paul Pierce signed a one-day contract with Boston so he could retire a Celtic :)

Also, I'm a little disappointed that the whole thing with Lonzo and Big Baller shoes may just be a ploy to drum up interest from Nike, Adidas, etc. Although they're $500, I dig the idea of an athlete (black one at that) going independent, keeping control of their likeness and avoiding being taken advantage of by a big corporation.

I would agree wholeheartedly about more people going independent, if it wasn't being run by LaVar Ball, and they weren't trying to market 500 dollar shoes to inner city kids who can barely afford decent shoes in the first place. And the whole 'for the culture' just rubs me the wrong way because they're exploiting their own heritage. EDIT: Granted, I am a white Dutch 20-something from an upper lower-class upbringing, so I can't really judge or give a realistic opinion about this.

And it's not a unique thing. Guys like Dikembe, Shaq, and Starbury have marketed cheap but solid shoes in the 90s and early 00s for those exact reasons, to stay independent and most importantly offer young (impressionable) kids with little money a brand they (rd. their parents) could actually afford.

Again, I'd love if more big name stars started to go that same route, perhaps in cooperation with their big money sponsors, but to at least have some <50 bucks sneakers on the market, being championed by people who kids will want shoes from.

Selling 500 dollar shoes, and flip flops that are more expensive than Armani's is just disgusting any way you cut it. It's marketing to privileged kids, or ones that'll pay themselves into debt so they can rep their favourite athlete.

Edited by Jasonmufc

I think they basically learned that it's a good idea for the future but he has to establish himself in the league before they get the sales they want for it. So go with Nike for now and when he's a star in say, 5 years, cash in on that name with your own shoe brand. 

He's already a star according to his dad. Five years from now, Lonzo will have five championships, five MVPs, the logo will be changed to him, and Michael Jordan will bow down to him. Shoes? Every player in the NBA will be paying the Balls to wear their shoe.

So the NBA and Nike announced today that they are getting rid of the traditional home/away jerseys for every team. 

Coinciding with the introduction of the new uniforms, the NBA is eliminating its “Home” and “Road” uniform designations. Beginning with the 2017-18 season, home teams will pick which of their uniforms will be worn at all home games and visiting teams will choose a contrasting uniform within their own assortment.

Because of this change, Nike and the NBA worked together to create four core uniforms for each team, classified as “editions,” which draw from the rich heritage of the NBA and its respective franchises.

The Association Edition, the traditional home white uniform that all 30 teams will have in their assortment, links them as members of the most exclusive basketball club in the world. It represents an achievement that most athletes have worked their entire lives to reach.

The Icon Edition, previously known as the road uniform, represents the rich heritage and iconic identity that exists within each franchise. This edition utilizes the team’s primary color, a color that dominates the closets of the most diehard fans.

Also this season, eight NBA teams will have a Classic Edition uniform that will be available in the fall. The Classic Edition celebrates some of the most iconic uniforms in league history and can be worn at each team’s discretion.

Haven't liked what I've seen of the previews so far. Also not happy the Jazz are getting a gold jersey. I'm sure I'll get used to them eventually and at least they're not the sleeved the jerseys.

Are there any previews of the Mavs? Because honestly those jerseys don't need changing at all despite them being ancient (by jersey definitions). I even like their alternate (dark blue + Dallas skyline) jersey a lot and want to see it more.

That doesn't bode well for anyone hoping LeBron is sticking around after next year.

I definitely can't fault Kyrie for wanting to have some say in the next few years of his career. He's locked up for a couple of years in Cleveland and if LeBron bolts he's just running a sinking ship for 2 years. The thing that's a bit weird is that he gives up the supermax if he's traded. Lot of money to leave on the table.

That caught me off-guard, but it makes sense considering that LeBron is such a domineering presence that nobody else gets a look in, even if you're an All-Star. I hope he ends up at the T-Wolves or Spurs.

Meanwhile if we assume LeBron is leaving the Cavs when his opt-out comes around next year and Love likely at his peak and descending soon, the Cavs may end up floundering for a while.

Derrick Rose is gonna sign with the Cavs on a one year deal.

Cleveland needs to do the right thing...trade Kyrie to the Jazz in a three team deal that will get them Melo.

2 hours ago, Pooker said:

@The Big Bratwurst looks like your Blazers just managed to trade away Crabbe. It's a miracle!

It's Christmas in July! Literally the only team I could see taking on his contract as well