NBA 2016-2017 Season

Tyrone

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Lavar Ball is such a piece of shit you guys. I hate that he gets so much attention

So much this.

I hate sports news because they get so fucking attached to the biggest loudmouth in the room, so the easiest way to get attention is the talk the most nonsense. And that's what Lavar is, he's basically nonsense. In a way, sports news outlets like Bleacher Report and ESPN are very much to blame, they love to shove a mic in his face and ask him absolutely fucking stupid questions like "Would you and LaMelo beat LeBron and his son?". Like, how the fuck is that even a relevant anything? It's just to get clicks and reactions and a soundbite from him.

Lavar is making he and his family a ton of money by being that way, it all would have fallen apart if Lonzo didn't wind up a Laker but since he did he can basically say and do what he wants. It's all a work mind you, he's saying shit just to say shit. Basically admitted as much today in regards to the MJ stuff. Sports media won't make him deal with consequences since he's not a player, if he winds up pissing off the wrong people they just don't put him on TV anymore while his son continues to play for the most popular basketball team in the world.  And since it's the summer they can just put cameras on him all they want since there isn't much else to talk about. He's very likely a bit of a sexist, I doubt that part is much of a work.

• Like 1

I don't think it's so much a work as it's him turning his normal personality up to 10. He probably knows he couldn't beat Jordan and all that but he realizes that if he says stuff nobody else is going to say, he's gonna get on tv. But I wonder, what is his end game? To make more money? I guess that is one tactic but it could easily back fire. Why not let Lonzo work his way up in the league and from his brand the same way Jordan, LeBron, and Kobe have?

It's a different time. Media presence is everything, it's currency. The slow build up is nothing, LeBron certainly didn't get the that dude was handed a million dollars cash the minute he declared the draft. He was largely the first internet superstar, anointed on message boards in his junior year. Every high schooler has been trying to duplicate that to some degree. But athletes, especially basketball players, are increasingly multimedia ventures. They have their hands in everything. Lavar's trying to get his own brand off the ground/bought by Nike or Adidas or someone. He can do it slow and hope Lonzo is good enough or he can put the attention on himself to skyrocket the valuation right out of the gate. It's just a unique situation since he's the athlete's dad instead of the athlete's behind-the-scenes agent.

• Like 2

I was talking more about "Stay in your lane" and the way he treated that female ref. He gets a technical and then gets her kicked out?!? Fuck the people who allowed that and fuck him for talking shit after about her not being in shape and not good enough to ref his games. 

If this is all a work what ppv do I have to buy to watch him get his ass kicked? 

As a whole, LaVar is such a cancerous personality who doesn't give a rats ass what kind of reputation he gets as long as he (and his sons) get all the attention thrown onto them. He is such an overt personality who tries to start shit at every turn, and is also a bigoted piece of shit to make matters worse.

It's also rubbing off on his kids, who he has whipped into his frenzy and made go along with his insanity. Lonzo seems to be pretty levelheaded, and probably just wants to ball out and he's the least 'controversial' one of the bunch. But his father is burning a lot of bridges with his actions and behaviour, and is going to make his son's career harder if he doesn't pan out as a 'can't miss' kind of superstar that teams will pay for regardless of attitude. If he pans out any less than that, teams will going to be passing on him on the future purely because his father's permanent presence, and being a PR nightmare.

Even though people found him annoying before, he was mostly a harmless shittalker who was generally just a nuisance and some source of tragic comedy. But the entire row with getting a female referee removed has turned a lot of heads away from him because that shit is something nobody wants to be associated with. And if he keeps it up with such controversy, I can easily see a guy like Adam Silver (and sponsors, and owners, and ohter players) step in personally and keep his mouth shut permanently.

40 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Doc Rivers has been freed from his front office duties with the Clippers but will remain their coach.

His only strategy of "acquire a bunch of great players and let them mask my incompetence" failed.

• Like 3

Im trying to think up a trade/signing he made that pushed the dial forward for the Clippers, but other than locking DeAndre Jordan in a room (and saving the Mavs from having a terribly 1D Center on the max), he didn't do much for the Clippers in his years as a GM.

EDIT: Ok, after looking through he was the GM when the Clips acquired JJ Redick by trading away Bledsoe and Caron Butler. But seeing that Bledsoe panned out as a 20ppg combo guard, i'd call that a draw.

• 2 weeks later...