Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

Bloody Friday kick-offs...

My friend (Liverpool supporter with extreme dislike of Arsenal) suggested to me that we should watch tonight's match, cheering Leicester on. I pointed out to him that this may not make for a good evening since it seems more likely that Arsenal will absolutely cruise to victory.

21 hours ago, Titi Camara said:

Also urgh to posting links to articles from the s*n

For real, can we get a ban on this or something? Just post the full article in a spoiler or something on the rare instance they actually have a relevant exclusive like this. Save people accidentally giving the scum a fucking click.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I mean, let's just ban any links to newspapers then, all of them are fucking awful in their own ways

Not really comparable now, is it Rich? We're talking about a paper that is deeply offensive/upsetting to a not insignificant portion of members here on a personal level, and one that even prominent non-LFC fans (thinking TCO or Colly, can't remember who) have expressed outrage over whenever it's brought up on here. There are plenty of neutral places on the internet that have imposed bans on links to the Sun (along with the Daily Mail, but that's a different matter entirely) out of principle/respect for its members and in an effort to make it as inclusionary as possible. Don't really think it's asking too much to have columns pasted directly and avoid such members inadvertently contributing to their business, nor is it helpful to suggest that the problem is at all as trivial as "they're all fucking awful." That's a bit insulting to be honest.

Apart from those cartoons in the Guardian, can we keep those? 

Edit: But yeah, I'd be very happy if we made links to the Sun or Mail very clear as I really don't want to boost their clicks. 

Edited by Colly

1 minute ago, Nerf said:

Not really comparable now, is it Rich? We're talking about a paper that is deeply offensive/upsetting to a not insignificant portion of members here on a personal level, and one that even prominent non-LFC fans (thinking TCO or Colly, can't remember who) have expressed outrage over whenever it's brought up on here. There are plenty of neutral places on the internet that have imposed bans on links to the Sun (along with the Daily Mail, but that's a different matter entirely) out of principle/respect for its members and in an effort to make it as inclusionary as possible. Don't really think it's asking too much to have columns pasted directly and avoid such members inadvertently contributing to their business, nor is it helpful to suggest that the problem is at all as trivial as "they're all fucking awful." That's a bit insulting to be honest.

I am saying why not post all articles directly, on the chance that members find the other papers deeply offensive, in no way am I trivialising the Sun link, to think that your principles are more important than others is a lot insulting, to be honest.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rich said:

I am saying why not post all articles directly, on the chance that members find the other papers deeply offensive, in no way am I trivialising the Sun link, to think that your principles are more important than others is a lot insulting, to be honest.

In this particular instance, playing devil's advocate really isn't a good look on you mate.

I'm gonna try to remain as reasonable as possible here, but you're either being wilfully ignorant or you outright don't understand why that paper is so offensive to some. In case it's the latter, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because it isn't easy to 'get it' from the outside looking in, I'll try my best to explain. I'd wager most people local to Liverpool here (both red and blue) have been in some way directly affected by the coverage of Hillsborough. A lot of us at least know somebody that lost someone close to them, and most (if not all) of us have long been tarred with the same stain, something the city as a whole has felt in a quite poignant way in the subsequent years and transcends football. Edit: to add that not only have they shown no remorse since, but they've actually doubled down on disrespecting us too.

Nowhere have I said, or even insinuated, that my principles are more important than others - and it's not even about ME. In fact, I went out of my way to bring up the Mail as another example, and I'd be equally happy for members to voice their disapproval of links to other sources they find uncomfortable for all kinds of reasons. That was a bit of an unnecessary and baseless jibe.

Edited by Nerf
  • Like 1

Yeah I mean, the Sun is probably the worst of the worst, except maybe FOX News, but banning links because you're opposed to them is a slippery slope to go down. It's also a really good interview so it's kind of doing that journalist a disservice, it's highly unlikely he had anything to do with Hillsborough. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nerf said:

In this particular instance, playing devil's advocate really isn't a good look on you mate.

I'm gonna try to remain as reasonable as possible here, but you're either being wilfully ignorant or you outright don't understand why that paper is so offensive to some. In case it's the latter, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because it isn't easy to 'get it' from the outside looking in, I'll try my best to explain. I'd wager most people local to Liverpool here (both red and blue) have been in some way directly affected by the coverage of Hillsborough. A lot of us at least know somebody that lost someone close to them, and most (if not all) of us have long been tarred with the same stain, something the city as a whole has felt in a quite poignant way in the subsequent years and transcends football. Edit: to add that not only have they shown no remorse since, but they've actually doubled down on disrespecting us too.

Nowhere have I said, or even insinuated, that my principles are more important than others - and it's not even about ME. In fact, I went out of my way to bring up the Mail as another example, and I'd be equally happy for members to voice their disapproval of links to other sources they find uncomfortable for all kinds of reasons. That was a bit of an unnecessary and baseless jibe.

The reason I have shown "no remorse" is that I am failing to see how I have something to be remorseful over or where I have been in anyway disrespectful if I am honest.  I know the Liverpool/Sun history, I supported your call to ban links to the Sun and included wanting to extend it further, to be as inclusionary as possible as you are trying to paint yourself and you have now taken it on yourself to get on your high horse and talk down to me where frankly I was agreeing with you and now don't feel very included because apparently my opinion doesn't matter. 

Just now, Rich said:

The reason I have shown "no remorse" is that I am failing to see how I have something to be remorseful over or where I have been in anyway disrespectful if I am honest.  I know the Liverpool/Sun history, I supported your call to ban links to the Sun and included wanting to extend it further, to be as inclusionary as possible as you are trying to paint yourself and you have now taken it on yourself to get on your high horse and talk down to me where frankly I was agreeing with you and now don't feel very included because apparently my opinion doesn't matter. 

They = The Sun.