2017 College Football Thread

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I live twenty minutes from the PA/DE border. :)

Oh right, forgot it was legal there.  I was thinking you were going to NJ

23 minutes ago, damshow said:

Fortunately Orgeron can recruit with the best of them so he'll be bringing in some great talent no matter how short or long his tenure is there.

And he'll suffer from, what I like to call, the Kevin Sumlin factor. It's where you have a head coach that consistently brings in Top-10 recruiting classes but will still manage to go 8-4/7-5 every season. 

On 9/30/2017 at 21:14, GhostMachine said:

Butch Jones is going to be looking for a new job soon.

I've heard from three different "sources" that Vols fans are already demanding he resign. And two of those three sources are saying they want Chip Kelly to take over literally the day after the SEC championship (which Tennessee will not be taking part in for obvious reasons). 

I'm on board with getting rid of Jones, but not until the season is over with. I don't see Chip Kelly being a good fit as head coach here, so I'm against that unless he's the only decent choice to avoid another Derek Dooley type situation.

Also have seen Bobby Petrino's name brought up. To that, I say `AW HELL NAW!', which is as `no!' as you can get.

*edited to add* How about that hit during the Notre Dame-Miami (OH) game that shattered a player's helmet? That guy was lucky.

Edited by GhostMachine

Yeah, Tony Jones Jr. Rang his bell quite good, and we had to play the rest of the game with only our fourth string running back.

But back to Chip Kelly, I think it's people overreacting to the fact that you all just got shut out. If Chip Kelly can do anything for you guys, it'll be score points. I'm not sure he believes in defense enough to succeed in the SEC.

Meacon, that's exactly why I don't think Kelly would succeed. Yes, the Vols might score a lot of points, but they probably would give up almost twice as many points as they do now. 

I'd love for them to bring him in as an offensive coordinator or O-line coach, but absolutely not as head coach. And I just don't see that happening.

I cannot think of a single SEC team that would benefit from having Chip Kelly as their head coach.

Petrino has a hell of a head coaching record, but I can't stand the guy, and I don't think he'd be an asset to the Vols.

3 hours ago, Chuck Tingle said:

DON'T BESMIRCH THE GOOD NAME OF NEW JERSEY! :angry:

New Jersey does that enough on its own

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, Tony Jones Jr. Rang his bell quite good, and we had to play the rest of the game with only our fourth string running back.

But back to Chip Kelly, I think it's people overreacting to the fact that you all just got shut out. If Chip Kelly can do anything for you guys, it'll be score points. I'm not sure he believes in defense enough to succeed in the SEC.

The benefit of Chip is they know what they're getting. He probably won't have them in the running for any titles, but he will have them scoring points and being fun to watch. Vols are in a weird situation where they keep whiffing on head coaches, but the talent is there courtesy of Jones' recruiting. So the next coach has something to work with.

I wouldn't be shocked if Butch gets fired or resigns today.

4 hours ago, DMN said:

Call me when Tennessee beats Alabama.

I wasn't cracking on UCLA. I was cracking on Chip Kelly. Because I don't see him being much help as far as beating USC is concerned.

And nobody in the SEC East is beating Alabama any time soon. 

Tennessee could go a season with only 1 win, and I'd be happy as long as that win was over Alabama. GET ROLLED, TURD!