2017 College Football Thread

I think Gruden's name is bandied about because he was an assistant at Tennessee....30 years ago. I for one don't believe they'll get him (better opportunities elsewhere if he decides to coach again), but wouldn't be upset if they did.

And I also do not believe that Chip Kelly would be a good fit in the SEC. 

There are some people (idiots) who have said they wouldn't mind having Lane Kiffin back. Ummm.....no. Unless he's not allowed to talk to the media at all, and that simply wouldn't happen. It's not worth having to put up with him running his mouth. I don't hold bolting for USC after one season against him, since it was his dream job. My problem is with Ed Orgeron lying to recruits when it happened. (The only thing I want back from the Kiffin era is those black jerseys they wore around Halloween, and those were the players' idea, not his. They look better than the gray alternate uniform they have now.)

11 minutes ago, Buschy Heenan said:

Gruden's reportedly started reaching out to coaches to see who would be willing to join him in Tennessee should he go there.

Frankly I just figured he would never coach again.  He's currently in the midst of his 9th season out of coaching and seems to really love doing TV.

Hmmmmm.... Gruden's kids are a little older now. I think his youngest graduates high school in 2019. So this might be a good time to jump back in the game.

The thing with Gruden is his inexperience in college. Butch Jones did one thing really well and it was restock the program from where Dooley left. There's a lot of talent in Knoxville, so a lot of accomplished college coaches would jump at the job now. Gruden seems like one of those caretaker coaches you get who puts a program back on the right path, and as bad as the last 365 days have been for him Butch Jones basically was that.

I have low expectations no matter who ends up being the head coach. Way back when Fulmer was fired, I said he had deserved another year. And aside from the team almost beating Alabama under Kiffin (would have, if the kicker wasn't shit), it's been nothing but hell since. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-arkansas-move-bret-bielema-end-season-gus-malzahn-interested-job/

The Razorbacks will move on from head coach Bret Bielema after the season.

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is interested in returning home to take that position once it’s open, though his status might depend on this week’s Iron Bowl. He’d also have a hand in picking Arkansas’ new AD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meacon said:

I bet dollars to doughnuts they go after Chip Kelly.

He probably started getting mail about homes around Pasadena a few days ago.

So I'd wager if Auburn wins on Saturday then Malzahn is staying, if they lose he'll play them against each other and take the most money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

UCLA have fired Jim Mora.

I'm not happy, but I'm happy. He'd worn out his welcome here, and couldn't win with his own recruits, despite getting great ones.

Injuries didn't help, but for a defensive coach he never put one out on the field, so *shrug*

3 hours ago, damshow said:

On his birthday, no less

I'm sure the $11 million will soften the blow.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I bet dollars to doughnuts they go after Chip Kelly.

Yeeeeeeessss daddy.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

He probably started getting mail about homes around Pasadena a few days ago.

So I'd wager if Auburn wins on Saturday then Malzahn is staying, if they lose he'll play them against each other and take the most money.

If I'm Chip Kelly I don't want none of the SEC unless it's the Gators. I'd be surprised if we landed him, but I'm surprised that they cut Mora, especially when we can still become bowl eligible by beating Cal.

Mora has left a ton of great recruits at UCLA that a guy like Kelly can win with instantly. I really don't think he wants to go to the SEC, when he can presumably have a cushy 9-10 win gig at UCLA for as long as he wants it. Plus the team will be fun as hell to watch and likely do a lot of good for the program assuming they don't botch his successor like Oregon did.

Chip is a madman if he goes to Florida. Kirby Smart's defense regularly making him look foolish will have the boosters calling for his head by 2020.

But meanwhile at UCLA if he can regularly secure 9 or 10-win seasons, beat USC every so often, and have them in the playoff picture on a regular basis he's set for life. And I think that's extremely doable at UCLA, with the amount of Ducks he recruited and coached playing the NFL he can win a ton of recruiting battles in SoCal. There's no doubt the Pac-12 is a better conference for the style of football he likes to coach as well.

He'd be crazy to go to any SEC school, not just Florida. If he came to Tennessee, the athletic director might as well start looking for a new job once it's time to replace Kelly.

I read something that suggested the Vols might go after Dan Mullen, and I hope what I read is wrong. I can't see him leaving Mississippi State for Tennessee unless they offer him more money than his worth, and his record at that school doesn't have me very optimistic. So I hope it's not true.

The Mark Richt Special!

3 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

He'd be crazy to go to any SEC school, not just Florida. If he came to Tennessee, the athletic director might as well start looking for a new job once it's time to replace Kelly.

I read something that suggested the Vols might go after Dan Mullen, and I hope what I read is wrong. I can't see him leaving Mississippi State for Tennessee unless they offer him more money than his worth, and his record at that school doesn't have me very optimistic. So I hope it's not true.

Winning at Miss State, at all, is an accomplishment. It is essentially a mid-major stuck in the SEC. He got them to number 1 in the polls where they stayed for a good chunk of the season. Even if they didn't finish the year there it's an incredible accomplishment, the only other SEC school in a similar situation is Vandy (and *maybe* Mizzou). I think he's done enough there to warrant moving up to a bigger job. Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he's content at Miss State, where he can churn out 8-win seasons for the rest of his career. But he deserves a shot at one of the big league SEC schools if he wants it, he's hit the very ceiling of what the Bulldogs can do.

• Like 1

Yeah, the sheer fact that Dan Mullen has done what he has a friggin' Mississippi State in the SEC is a huge positive statement. Imagine what he could do in at a school like Florida or Tennessee where four-star and five-star players want to actually go. He's taken two and three star kids and made them competitive against the best teams in the country. Tennessee could only be so lucky to get a Dan Mullen.