2017 College Football Thread

28 minutes ago, damshow said:

Committee got it right. I fully expect Bama to win the championship.

Same.  This is reminding me of 2011 where Bama got in despite not winning their conference, everybody moaned (similar circumstances even with Oklahoma State losing to an unranked team being the deciding factor on Bama getting the spot), and then Bama laid waste in the title game.

I'm so beyond sick of them being the Patriots of College Football, and I would've laughed at them being left off even if it would've resulted in a less deserving team making it and a far worse New Year's Game.  But them being in is the right call.

Each year it feels more and more inevitable that the playoffs will expand, because sports can seldom resist over-saturating themselves for money.  Probably 8 teams, the Power 5 conference winners and 3 at-large bids with the committee deciding the seeding based on whatever metrics they use now.  If they did it this year the first round would be:

Clemson vs. USC
Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Georgia vs. Wisconsin
Alabama vs. Ohio State

Are any of those games really that appealing?  Maybe Oklahoma/Auburn, but that's about it.  Doesn't at all seem worth cheapening the regular season for what would be an underwhelming first round and I think more often than not you'd get at least two or three blowouts in that round.

• Like 2

Just now, Busch E said:

Each year it feels more and more inevitable that the playoffs will expand, because sports can seldom resist over-saturating themselves for money.  Probably 8 teams, the Power 5 conference winners and 3 at-large bids with the committee deciding the seeding based on whatever metrics they use now.  If they did it this year the first round would be:

Clemson vs. USC
Oklahoma vs. Auburn
Georgia vs. Wisconsin
Alabama vs. Ohio State

Are any of those games really that appealing?  Maybe Oklahoma/Auburn, but that's about it.  Doesn't at all seem worth cheapening the regular season for what would be an underwhelming first round and I think more often than not you'd get at least two or three blowouts in that round.

Agree completely.

Just now, damshow said:

I keep meaning to go to the Military Bowl. Annapolis is a real cool town to spend a day in with or without a bowl game going on. But man, the weather seems to always suck.

I almost went to the 201..4? Military Bowl. Whatever year Virginia Tech went. I also almost went to the Pinstripe Bowl up in the Bronx, but I think by the time I had the money to get tickets, they were crazy expensive because it was the year Notre Dame went. But the Military Bowl is a good call. Maybe that match-up this year will be interesting enough to warrant a trip down. I do like the Naval Academy and my buddy is in the reserves and down there to police the big events. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Do you win anything for the other bowl games? Or they kinda like consolation games? Like you were close so we'll let you play another game

It's basically a reward to the teams with winning records. You get to go on a vacation of sorts to another part of the country you likely didn't play in during the season. You receive a bowl game gift basket (I think a couple years ago the Sugar Bowl gave every player on both teams free Playstation 4's) and one last game to play on a bigger scale than the majority of the teams are use to. A consolation playoff game to end the season on, basically. 

• Like 1

Peach Bowl: Auburn vs. UCF

Orange: Miami vs. Wisconsin

Fiesta: Washington vs. Penn State

Cotton: USC vs. Ohio State

Rose: Georgia vs. Oklahoma

Sugar: Alabama vs. Clemson

Damn fine line-up.

@damshow Military Bowl is Virginia vs. Navy. Let me know if you want to hit that up.

The Pinstripe Bowl is Boston College vs. Iowa which almost put me to sleep just typing.