2017 College Football Thread

Ahhh, I was going off their website where they hadn't listed an opponent yet. Cool. That should.. be a game, I guess. <_<

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lineker said:

How do they work out who plays whom in which bowls? Apologies if that's a stupid question. 

Well there's a committee that selects the New Year's Six bowls, which are the six most prestigious bowls. Most other bowls have conference affiliations. Like for instance, the bowl Cloudy's team (Arkansas State) is in the Camellia Bowl, has an agreement with the MAC conference (Akron) and the Sun Belt conference (Arkansas State). There are exceptions, but that's usually how things work.

Actually here's a link that shows what bowls have agreements with which conferences:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/29/15709664/bowl-tie-ins-conferences-2017-season

11 minutes ago, damshow said:

Hey @Meacon I did not realize the Military Bowl happens at 1:30 on a Thursday, so that's something I don't think I can do. I burnt all my time off for this year already.

No worries. I'm off that whole week, so I'll just enjoy all the games from the warmth and comfort of my home. :P 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a lot of hype and rumors of Gus Malzahn possibly taking the Arkansas job, he's agreed to a new deal with Auburn. No surprise there, honestly.

I felt a lot of that was leveraging the potential of leaving into more money. He was gonna get a raise after the season they had anyway, but this way he gets some more money and nice stuff to go along with it.

There's been some Les Miles to Tennessee chatter, and now I'm hoping Arkansas gets in on that party. College football is better with the Mad Hatter in it.

7 hours ago, Meacon said:

They're playing Akron in the Camellia Bowl in Alabama. 

Local news outlets are saying they're playing Middle Tennessee. 

1 minute ago, Your Cloud And Mine said:

Local news outlets are saying they're playing Middle Tennessee. 

And they're right!

SB Nation phone alerts told me Akron while the announcements were being made, but it's since changed. Akron is going to play Florida Atlantic in the Boca Raton Bowl, which originally said Temple. They screwed that all up big time. 

• Like 1

I don't know, I just feel like there's something fundamentally wrong with allowing a team into the playoffs that isn't even in its own conferences title game (unless its Notre Dame).  Not lost its conference title game, didn't even qualify.  Ohio State was playing on the final weekend, Alabama was not, and yet doing nothing because you couldn't make your conference title game ends up meaning more than winning your conference title game. 

Would have liked to go to the Heart of Dallas Bowl this year but its on a Tuesday afternoon <_<

Oh well, there's always the Armed Forces Bowl.

I actually like it. Pruitt is one of the best recruiters in the country, the players he's coached have nothing but good things to say about him, and he's already got several championships under his belt so he knows just how hard it is to win one. The only problem is that he doesn't have head coaching experience. Neither did Kirby Smart, though. (Or Derek Dooley, but lets all forget about him, please).

(Hope he doesn't turn out to be another Ed Orgeron, who is an excellent recruiter but mediocre head coach. I still think LSU signed him because they know whoever follows will have a sweet set-up.)

Plus this hurts Alabama, since they have to go find another defensive coordinator.

Edited by GhostMachine