2017 College Football Thread

1 hour ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I keep seeing Georgia vs. Auburn being advertised so I might try and watch that one on Saturday if I'm home

Games worth watching next week:

Georgia vs. Auburn
Clemson vs. Miami
Memphis vs. Central Florida (UCF)

I'm not particularly a big fan of the Big 10, but for your part of the country it's the #1 show.  So: Ohio St. vs. Wisconsin also on the list.

• Like 1

Sumlin will be in Tempe next year. He's reportedly great frinds with their AD. ASU might have also gotten too big for their britches, though, because they just beat the Cats and are going bowling, yet they fired Graham. I'm not sure they expect, there's always been a clear hierarchy in the Pac, and the Zona schools aren't high in it.

DMN, Chip Kelly would be a shitty coach in the SEC. His coaching style would not work in the conference. And yes, I was happy  that Alabama lost. I absolutely hate the Crimson Tide, and celebrate whenever they actually lose, no matter the circumstances.

I'm also glad that the Schiano hiring got shot down, because even if you ignore the unproven PSU stuff, he's a major asshole. When he coached in the NFL, he even tried to get his players to go after players who did kneel-downs.Aand if anyone looks at some of the other things he's done, I don't think anyone would beating down doors to play for him. We lost a recruit or two when Jones was fired, but I bet we'd have lost more if Schiano had been hired.

My guess is the Vols end up with yet another mediocre coach who lasts about as long as Jones, and the AD ends up looking for a new job as well when that coach gets fired.

Sumlin going to ASU isn't a bad hire, they can win 8 or 9 games a year and be a pipeline of NFL talent if his recruiting works out anything like his early years at A&M. I really was hoping Les Miles would land there though, I miss that guy.

There is some chatter of Jimbo Fisher going to A&M. Since the fanbase is blaming him for the past season I can understand if he feels the heat, but A&M is an even more nuts fanbase.

Well Dave Doeren's contract extension talks with NC State hit a wall so it sounds like he and Tennessee have mutual interest. Probably winds up falling apart like the earlier today chatter about Jeff Brohm. This is a school, worse than even Nebraska or Texas, thinks its past glories are a birthright. Tennessee believes it's an Alabama or an Oklahoma. But it's a step below that, and until they accept that instead of constantly playing for the national title they will instead only have special seasons where they play for the national title they'll always be a terrible job.

Can't wait to do this all again in 5 years!

I'm under no illusions that Tennessee is on the level of Alabama or Oklahoma. But I believe at this point, they're going to end up with a mediocre coach, and Currie can start writing his resume when that happens. Fans are already calling for him to be fired right now.

But there are some unreasonable suggestions that have been bandied about by fans:

Jason Witten - Hasn't retired from the NFL, and has no coaching experience.

Peyton Manning - Again, no coaching experience.

Lake Kiffin - He's not doing well at FAU, and his mouth gets him into trouble. I don;t hold bolting to USC after one year against him, unlike some. But he's not worth the trouble his mouth would cause. 

Mike Leach - Ummm....no. His record as a head coach sucks.

Les Miles - Was more lucky than good at LSU. Might as well re-sign Butch Jones, or just give Brady Hoke the job.

Edited by GhostMachine

6 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Lake Kiffin - He's not doing well at FIU, and his mouth gets him into trouble. 

Mike Leach - Ummm....no. His record as a head coach sucks

That's because Kiffin is at FAU. And he's in his first season. And they're doing very well. 

And Mike Leach has a crappy overall head coach record because he's taken over traditionally shoddy programs (Texas Tech and Washington State) and been given the time to make them contenders. I think you all could (and will) do a lot worse than Mike Leach.