2017 College Football Thread

I wouldn't wish the Arkansas job on anyone. Right now, with all the delusions of grandeur these schools have, taking an SEC West job just seems like career suicide (unless it's expectation-less Miss State). No matter what you're not besting Saban, and he seems to have no plans to quit anytime soon. Taking an SEC East job, whether it's Florida or Tennessee, has unreasonable expectations as well but at least you can win the division and be an upset win against Bama away from the Playoff.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

You guys should hire Mullen before Tennessee can so they can go back to Derek Dooley. :P 

Things that have a better chance of happening than Tennessee bringing back Derek Dooley:

Jimmy Hoffa turning up alive and well.

The Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions playing each other in the Super Bowl.

A Seattle Mariners baseball dynasty.

The Alabama Crimson Tide going winnless for an entire season, with Nick Saban as their head coach and a fully healthy roster.

Lane Kiffin not making an ass of himself at some point.

Donald Trump suddenly becoming modest and humble, and admitting to mistakes.

16 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Things that have a better chance of happening than Tennessee bringing back Derek Dooley:

Jimmy Hoffa turning up alive and well.

The Cleveland Browns and Detroit Lions playing each other in the Super Bowl.

A Seattle Mariners baseball dynasty.

The Alabama Crimson Tide going winnless for an entire season, with Nick Saban as their head coach and a fully healthy roster.

Lane Kiffin not making an ass of himself at some point.

Donald Trump suddenly becoming modest and humble, and admitting to mistakes.

Have you heard of the rule of three?

4 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

THE TIDE ARE DEAD! DING DONG, THE TIDE ARE DEAD! 

(And fuck the head ref from the Tenn-Vandy game for calling that pass interference on the wrong team, but the Vols played like total shit.)

The Vols just got shit-canned by Vandy, and watched the best head coaching candidate sign elsewhere (like, the only silver lining for Rocky Top is that Chip didn't go to Florida), and you're in here talking about 'BAMA IS DEAD'? That's some commendable schaudenfruede you got there...

1 hour ago, Meacon said:

Agreed. The PERFECT hire for them. He’ll have them ruling the Pac12 South perhaps as soon as next year, if not, then the next.

It's not going to happen, but if Rosen comes back, maybe we win the South. Depends on who the DC is, honestly.

I'm not willing to throw dirt on Alabama yet until we know for sure they're dead.  Next week's games can still help them if they break a certain way.  And stuff like strength of schedule I can see the committee not counting Florida State against Bama because it was week 1 and before there was any reason to assume Florida State would be terrible.

Don't get me wrong, they SHOULD be dead.  I can't think of a compelling argument for them to be a top 4 team.  But I don't trust the committee.

I can. They’re arguably the most talented team in the country. They destroyed like 10 of the 12 teams they played. They lost, on the road, to one of the best teams in the country, that’s also beat another #1 team just a couple weeks earlier.

I honestly wouldn’t even be surprised to see them sitting at #5 on Tuesday night. 

I'm not gonna treat Bama as being dead. For the past few weeks Auburn has been perhaps the best team in the country. With a healthy Kerryon Johnson they might very well be unbeatable. Just everything rolling for them and their only losses to Clemson and on the road at LSU (in a close one). Auburn/UGA is a winner gets in game. Same for Miami/Clemson. Oklahoma is in with a win obviously, and out with a loss. But that's where things get a little crazy. Wisconsin wins and they have to be in as an undefeated team. But if they lose there is zero good answer to the Ohio State/Alabama question. One has 2 losses, the other has 1. Each of them lost to a possible Playoff team, and none of them have lost at home. But that loss to Iowa just looks so bad. And then there's the possibility of USC as a 2-loss conference champ as well. They got blown out in South Bend, but I'd take that loss as being a better loss than getting blown out by Iowa.

It's just a messy, messy situation. We saw last year conference titles didn't seem to matter that much when Penn St got snubbed. But the Committee votes on a lot of factors, and I think some of those factors are how good a team has looked recently. They'll forgive early season losses as well as ignore big early season wins in exchange for looking at the back end of the season and how a team has played.

Expand it to 8 is what I'm saying. Or the Committee can sit there rooting for TCU to bail them out and they can put both Bama and Ohio State in.

Ohio State doesn’t deserve to go in. Getting destroyed by a meh Iowa is enough to keep them out. And there’s absolutely no argument between them and a one-loss (to one of the very best teams in the country at the minute) Alabama, if you ask me.

If everyone wins out, things should be

1. Clemson

2. Oklahoma 

3. Auburn

4. Wisconsin

5. Alabama

Now with that said, I fully expect TCU to beat Oklahoma, Georgia to beat Auburn, and Miami to beat Clemson which could give us:

1. Wisconsin

2. Miami 

3. Georgia

4. Alabama 

as our final four.

But I also know realistically the “underdogs” won’t win all three of those conference championships. Two of the three though may. :P

Is there like some kind of primer or something I can read about College Football? I'd really like to get into it but it's hard to know who to root for, the divisions are really confusing, random people get to choose who plays for the title which is weird. I don't know I mean I know College has it's problems with scandals but it can't be as troublesome as the NFL right?

College is a million times better than the pros. 

But the regular season ended yesterday. :P

Conference championships are this upcoming week, then Army/Navy (go Navy), and then the bowls start up.

Being a Chi-Town girl, you should know that Northwestern just capped off one of their best seasons in recent history and should go to a decent bowl game.

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I thought I heard something about Northwestern being pretty good this year. I'm going to try and watch some bowl games then and get more into it. I just saw some news of Alabama and Miami losing and people losing their shit about it and that seemed exciting :P 

The last week of the regular season and the #1 team (Alabama) and #2 team (Miami) each lost so there’s a bit of chaos right now heading into championship week. The playoff picture is completely up in the air.

It's honestly easier to follow college when you don't really have a rooting interest. Just take in the big games, the atmosphere, and the excitement each week brings. I couldn't make it as a Maryland fan, forcing myself to suffer through their garbage games when there's likely 3-4 exciting games on TV. I subscribe to Sling and have a digital antenna and I honestly get almost every college football game every Saturday. Now all I need are more TVs to have more games on at the same time.

But it's been so much better than the pro game for a long time, where the NFL season takes 10-12 weeks to really get rolling the college season basically has every game matter. Some seasons are better than others, this one has had a real thrilling finish with a ton up in the air next week, 2 conference title games will decide a Playoff spot and it's possible a 3rd one will as well. Super exciting week ahead.

• Like 2