2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

Arizona is a great landing spot for Alex Smith, outside shot for Kirk Cousins, and a possible player in the Case Keenum sweepstakes. Not as many holes as it looks like they have, can do a solid retool in just one offseason.

I have no comment on Marvin Lewis getting season 16 except for the fact that he is the 2nd most tenured coach in the NFL right now with 0 playoff wins to his name.

I'm dreading Fitz announcing his retirement. BA, I get it. Palmer is fine. Fitz can't though :(

Today's news also means I saw Palmer play his last ever game. Crap circumstances for it but historic in a way. He's done a great job since coming here.

2018 Hall of Fame finalists announced:

Spoiler

Ray Lewis, LB - 1996-2012 Baltimore Ravens

Brian Urlacher, LB - 2000-2012 Chicago Bears

Edgerrin James, RB - 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

Randy Moss, WR - 1998-2004, 2010 Minnesota Vikings, 2005-06 Oakland Raiders, 2007-2010 New England Patriots, 2010 Tennessee Titans, 2012 San Francisco 49ers

Terrell Owens, WR - 1996-2003 San Francisco 49ers, 2004-05 Philadelphia Eagles, 2006-08 Dallas Cowboys, 2009 Buffalo Bills, 2010 Cincinnati Bengals

Isaac Bruce, WR - 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers

John Lynch, FS - 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Brian Dawkins, S - 1996-2008 Philadelphia Eagles, 2009-2011 Denver Broncos

Everson Walls, CB - 1981-89 Dallas Cowboys, 1990-92 New York Giants, 1992-93 Cleveland Browns

Ty Law, CB - 1995-2004 New England Patriots, 2005, 2008 New York Jets, 2006-07 Kansas City Chiefs, 2009 Denver Broncos

Tony Boselli, T - 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans (injured reserve)

Kevin Mawae, C/G - 1994-97 Seattle Seahawks, 1998-2005 New York Jets, 2006-09 Tennessee Titans

Joe Jacoby, T - 1981-1993 Washington Redskins

Steve Hutchinson, G - 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans

Alan Faneca, G - 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Robert Brazile, Linebacker - 1975-1984 Houston Oilers 

Jerry Kramer, Guard - 1958-1968 Green Bay Packers

Bobby Beathard, General Manager/Personnel Administrator - 1966-67 Kansas City Chiefs, 1968-1971 Atlanta Falcons, 1972-77 Miami Dolphins, 1978-1988 Washington Redskins, 1990-99 San Diego Chargers

Of that Hall of Fame list, Lewis is the one surefire lock of the Modern Era guys.  He'll most likely be one of those players where whoever is presenting him during the voting deliberations simply says "Ray Lewis" and walks off.

T.O. has been miffed about his lack of inclusion so far, and rightly so.  And I expect he'll be even angrier this year because I see Moss going in ahead of him since Moss is in the media and friendly with the very people T.O. pissed off.

Joe Jacoby was apparently the last man out last year, so I think he'll finally get over the hump this year.

John Lynch has also come very close a few times and he's been waiting a while.  Plus he's especially relevant now being a current GM and such, so I think this will be his year.

As for the last modern era inductee?  Could see it going a number of ways.  Part of me thinks they may go with Everson Walls because this was both his first time as a semi-finalist and now first time as a finalist in what is his final year of eligibility before he falls to the senior committee.  But at the same time, it seems kinda crazy that he'd go from never really being considered to going straight in.  Gun to head I guess I'd say Urlacher to make it a trio of first-timers as I do think the committee have a special soft spot for guys who played on one team.

Kramer, Brazile, and Beathard will all go in.  Seniors and contributors are rarely turned down except in unique circumstances, like Tagliabue last year who got blame for turning a blind eye to concussions.  Kramer in particular is long overdue, he was the only player on the NFL's 50th Anniversary team to not be in the Hall and NFL Films themselves had him pegged down as the #1 player not in the Hall yet.

It's a year in advance and I'm almost willing to guarantee that the Giants are going to be the 2019 Hard Knocks team.  Given the many things wrong with them I can't realistically see them jumping from a 3-13 team to a playoff team in one offseason especially under a brand new head coach.  But I could see them heading into 2019 as a team going in the right direction under a second year coach.

There will be possible QB drama...either Eli's successor is drafted this year and Eli is gone headed into 2019, or Eli's still around in the final year of his deal with his successor ready to take over for him at any moment.  Beckham's probably getting franchise tagged and I could see contract drama being a thing that lingers over camp.  And Gettleman's "take no shit" personality would add to said drama.  Plus it's a big market team and they've never done the show before.

In the time since Lewis was hired, Sean McVay graduated high school, went to college, and held 7 different coaching positions over 4 teams.

If the Rams win on Saturday, he will have won more postseason games than Lewis has in his HC career.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• Admin

Buccaneers safety T.J. Ward was arrested Wednesday morning in Tampa, Fla., on a pair of misdemeanor drug charges.

Ward was charged with "possession of cannabis" and "possession of drug paraphernalia," per the Hillsborough County (Fla.) Sheriff's Office. Ward was released from jail Wednesday after posting $2,500 bond, according to jail records.

The veteran defender signed a one-year deal with the Buccaneers last September just a few hours after he was cut by the Denver Broncos as teams trimmed their rosters to 53 players.

Ward had an uneventful season in Tampa Bay, starting just five games for the Bucs.

Ward is set to hit free agency this March.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 09:10, Busch E said:

Marvin Lewis is the TNA of NFL head coaches.

Posting this on another page because I truly can't believe that he's getting another season at the helm.  Marvin Lewis either:

A) Has incriminating photos or evidence against team ownership
B) Gives far better handjobs than any girlfriend I've had
C) Has married a previously unknown daughter of Mike Brown and is now unsackable
or
D) All of the above

• Like 1