2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

Glad the sponsors came down to allow some new seats to be open.  I wasn't aware there were league rules against adding new seating in-season.  Seems kinda daft since the building has held over 80,000 with all tarps removed and temporary seating put in for college games.  Additional temp seating for the playoffs is something a lot of other sports have done and it's a great way to bring in some extra revenue.

Giants unsurprisingly hire Dave Gettleman as GM.  I never bought into the rumors that they were going to do an extensive search with over a dozen candidates.  They're one of the most conservative organizations in the league and will always go with someone with organizational ties for top level football operations roles.

To that end it's tough to be all that thrilled about this because it might've been nice to get a true outside perspective for once.  I can't really give him much credit for Carolina's Super Bowl trip a couple of years ago because many of those key players were there before Gettleman.  But he did have his fingerprints on the '07 and '11 teams, so we'll see.

On this plus side I'd say this makes Steve Wilks the odds on favorite to be the next head coach, which does intrigue me.

I believe a handful of former Panthers rejoiced when they fired him over the summer, as well. But he did seem to line up some decent picks throughout his tenure so you could have done worse. I would assume both Shula and Wilks will get interviews. 

Gettleman basically told every player on his team that if they were going to play hardball with him to hit the bricks, which is why Josh Norman got his franchise tag rescinded and released last year.

That's fairly alarming considering Beckham is a free agent after next season and almost certainly going to get franchise tagged unless the Giants find a way to make him the highest paid receiver in the league.

15 hours ago, livid said:

The Jaguars received permission from the sponsors and the NFL to remove the tarps for their playoff game, freeing up an additional 3,500 seats.

Good, the NFLs dumb fuck rules even extend beyond the game itself. They couldn’t toss a loophole for the playoffs and just avoid the ass pain altogether? 

It’s like that weird old archaic rule that if the hometeam doesn’t sell lut then the game is blacked out for the local fanbase. I can’t tell you how many home games of the Lions we listened to on the radio when the Lions were in the Silverdome.

3 hours ago, livid said:

If Cobb does get cut I'm curious what his market will be like and if he will end up going to the Raiders like he was going to before he signed his current deal. 

I doubt there's a big market for him. He really got paid off of 1 great season. He'll cost a lot more than drafting a WR. He'll land somewhere as a number 2 but it won't be a bidding war.

8 minutes ago, damshow said:

I doubt there's a big market for him. He really got paid off of 1 great season. He'll cost a lot more than drafting a WR. He'll land somewhere as a number 2 but it won't be a bidding war.

At the same time DeSean Jackson got a lot more this past offseason than I thought he'd get so I really don't know. 

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201712280012

Paul Stark passed away Dec. 27, 2017, of complications from a brief illness, exacerbated by the hopeless condition of the Cleveland Browns, at Stein Hospice, Sandusky.

:lol:

Bruce Arians and Chuck Pagano are both expected to be done after tomorrow.

Raiders are apparently ready to back the money tractor trailer (as he’s already refused the money truck) to Jon Gruden.

Texans are likely to keep O’Brien, and why shouldn’t they as he had their rookie qb playing incredibly well before his unfortunate injury.

And the Giants are apparently interested in Jim Schwartz as their next head coach which only pleases me, because it hurts the Eagles. :lol: 

More off-field drama for the Giants, this time with their two starting tackles, Ereck Flowers and Bobby Hart.  They practiced on Wednesday and Thursday on a limited basis and were listed as questionable for Sunday.  Both showed up on Friday and declared themselves unable to practice nor play in the season finale before immediately going to clear out their lockers and get a jump start on the offseason.  The Giants responded by releasing Hart.  Flowers was likely only spared because he was a first round pick and his rookie contract calls for him to count $4.5 million against the cap next year even if he were to be released.

Frankly, Flowers is lucky he was on the injury report which likely scared the Giants off of suspending him for contract detrimental to the team.  Teams have the right to immediately void the contract and all guarantees for suspended players, which is how they're going to get out of Eli Apple's contract this offseason.  I'd guess the Giants will mercifully demote Flowers to guard or right tackle next year though, and he probably won't have his fifth year option picked up.

Dick move by both players. Kind of hoping (just for shits and giggles) that Hart lands on a (non-Cowboys) division rival, though.

I can't really see Jon Gruden going back to the Raiders for any amount of money. When he left the Raiders before, he said the main reason was because he had no leverage because the players knew they could go right over his head to Al Davis if they didn't agree with him. The situation probably hasn't changed with Al's son being majority owner. Same reason there's no chance of him coaching the Cowboys when/if Jerry Jones wises up and dumps Jason Garrett.