2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

12 hours ago, Busch E said:

The NFL will say they cancelled it, but it was almost certainly the network's call.  I'll bet dollars to donuts they would've gone with Dallas/Philly if Dallas wasn't eliminated.  Probably also would've done Detroit/Green Bay if Green Bay were alive and Rodgers was playing.

There is no definite win-or-go-home game besides probably Baltimore-Cincinnati. But even then if they put it in primetime and some dominoes fell earlier in the day the game would be meaningless or close to it (playing for a 5 or 6 seed). Carolina-Atlanta is a good matchup and probably carries with it a do-or-die story for Atlanta but they could also clinch before the game even starts. If there was a game where we knew going in the winner would make the playoffs and the loser wouldn't (or winner would win division and loser wouldn't) then I suspect they'd be airing a SNF game. But the way this has all shaken out, the league decided having all the meaningful games on at the same time is better. And I honestly agree. Just 3 hours of nonstop screenwatching.*

*Assuming you didn't have dinner reservations for 7pm that your girlfriend booked in September for a nice, romantic New Year's Eve. Thanks, NFL. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, damshow said:

There is no definite win-or-go-home game besides probably Baltimore-Cincinnati. But even then if they put it in primetime and some dominoes fell earlier in the day the game would be meaningless or close to it (playing for a 5 or 6 seed). Carolina-Atlanta is a good matchup and probably carries with it a do-or-die story for Atlanta but they could also clinch before the game even starts. If there was a game where we knew going in the winner would make the playoffs and the loser wouldn't (or winner would win division and loser wouldn't) then I suspect they'd be airing a SNF game. But the way this has all shaken out, the league decided having all the meaningful games on at the same time is better. And I honestly agree. Just 3 hours of nonstop screenwatching.*

*Assuming you didn't have dinner reservations for 7pm that your girlfriend booked in September for a nice, romantic New Year's Eve. Thanks, NFL. 

FOOTBALL IS MORE IMPORTANT :angry:

Spoiler

....or is it? :pervert:

I mean he is right.  After 2 weeks of our offense having their shit together and our D not showing up...tonight our D showed up and our offense was lost somewhere on Broad St.  I'm still confident in Nick Foles, but he can't have games like he had tonight.  Relied WAY too much on Ertz

Eli Apple is probably going to go down as the worst draft pick of the Jerry Reese era.  I thought he was a total reach at the tenth overall pick last year, but he played better than I expected him to in the nickel CB spot which may as well be a starter role given how many teams use three and four WR sets.  Now in his sophomore season he's been a healthy scratch multiple times and this week he only played on punt returns as Brandon Dixon who was signed off the street got the start instead.  Apple was a top ten pick and now he's not even able to get defensive snaps on a 2-13 team.

Even more damning is that reportedly Nat Behre would come over to say a few quick words to him on the bench but other than that, none of his teammates said a word to him all game.  He just sat on the bench by himself.  The team has essentially frozen him out, which isn't a surprise given that on days he was inactive he would retweet video of the Giants' secondary getting burned.  It wouldn't be a shocker if he was the mole that leaked about the team hating McAdoo like a month before he got fired.  Plus reportedly his personal life is a total mess.

I think the Giants have no choice but to cut their losses on him.  Maybe a team will be willing to send them a seventh rounder to gamble on his potential but more likely they'd just have to release him.  As much shit as I give Ereck Flowers who clearly isn't the franchise left tackle the Giants thought he could be when they took him ninth overall in 2015, I'll never question his effort and I think they can still get some use out of him at right tackle or guard.  Apple on the other hand feels like a complete waste of a top ten pick and someone who badly needs a change of scenery.

I have a relative who was a hardcore Peyton Manning fan, and repped the Broncos as of recently.  Now they're just terrible, so he's looking for someone new to support.  Doesn't like the Patriots, so that's not an option.

I recommended the Jaguars, since they're an up and coming team and only have 12 fans in real life anyway.  It would be a decent pick to get on a bandwagon.

• Like 1

On Arians - he's only leaving if he retires as far as I'm aware. He's battled cancer in the last year and had some other health problems, and has a contract through next year.

If he does go (conflicting reports from reliable sources at the moment) that'll be Palmer done and maybe Fitz too. I hope Fitz stays but it's about time for a reshuffle anyway.