2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

Yeah, if the nightmare scenario of Rosen and Darnold both pulling out comes to fruition, I'd rather the Giants take Jackson or Mayfield.  I don't like either of those guys at the #2 pick but I don't know how far down they could realistically trade and still be able to get one of them.  I'd assume both would wind up going top 10 because there's always going to be a team that panics.  So yeah, not an ideal situation.

I'd hope Darnold and Rosen are smart enough to realize that the Browns are still very likely to pick early if not first again in 2019.  So they should suck it up and get their money now.  Maybe they both declare and we get another Eli situation where they basically force the Browns to trade away the #1 pick for a haul.

I think the NFL should seriously consider retracting the Browns.  I'm not even saying that as an "LOL Browns" joke either.  They've gotten in their own way one time too many and now you have potential studs not even wanting to enter the league if it means playing there.  Their presence actually hurts the integrity of the league and now it seems legitimately impossible for that brand to ever recover.

The franchise may just need to be mercy killed and replaced with an expansion team somewhere else under different ownership.  Yeah the team will suck for a while like the Texans did, but with competent people in charge they'll eventually find their way.

I mean, there’s a really good chance the Browns will be picked #1 next year, they might as well say fuck you to both those guys and hold off on drafting a QB until then. 

Other Pats fans have a certain level of delusion that just bugs the hell out of me. 

Brady has an off day?  He's washed up.  Brady throws an interception?  Replace him with ______.  If we're not blowing someone out 59-0 and scoring touchdowns on every drive, it's seen as  a failure.  Even good teams like the Steelers, we're supposed to be above and beyond better than them.  It's completely unrealistic.

Seeing all of the New York beat writers over Davis Webb being inactive again is hilarious to me.  They all killed McAdoo for the atrociously handled Eli/Geno thing, BUT he did say directly that he was going to play Webb before the end of the year because Webb was virtually handpicked by McAdoo in the draft.

Spagnuolo was never going to play Webb, he's an interim coach concerned with getting a few notches in the win column.  He was always going to play Eli because Eli still gives the team the best chance to win over the final month.  It's just amusing to me to see the writers wanting McAdoo run out of town but now killing Spagnuolo for not following McAdoo's plan.

The Patriots' "luck" doesn't stop at just having TDs reversed by the horrible catch rule two weeks in a row.  They have had three penalties called against them in the past two games for a grand total of nine yards.  Last week the game was reffed by Tony Corrente's crew who have called by far the most penalties in the league.

Conversely, they have had 29 scoring drives extended by penalties.  There are several teams that haven't even had 29 drives extended by penalty, let alone 29 scoring drives.

Nope, not at all suspicious.

• Like 3

All I want got Christmas is Scott Linehan to be fired.  Just got Zeke back, why the fuck wouldn’t you run him when you’re on the 2 and desperately need a score.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Busch E said:

NBC has opted to not even bother carrying a Sunday Night Football game in Week 17.

I thought it was the NFL that cancelled it, not NBC?

Jimmy G looks really good and I think if you made Belichick testify under oath he'd say he wished Brady retired after last season so they could have a smooth transition to Garoppolo. They weren't gonna do a Joe Montana deal and trade Brady away obviously. Brady's trainer likes to convince him he can play 'til 45 but at this stage in his career Brady is one bad hit away from being finished. And now the Pats have no successor at QB. They had to trade him away because Brady has no interest in retiring, but I think if given the choice Belichick would have preferred starting the Garoppolo era this season.

Busy day of football next week... at 4:00pm. Basically all the meaningful games got put on at the same time, which is exciting but it's also 4:00pm on New Year's Eve and I get my girlfriend is dragging me off to wherever we're going by 6. Thanks NFL! At least they aren't doing a primetime game that not a soul would watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WOKEN Cloudy said:

I thought it was the NFL that cancelled it, not NBC?

The NFL will say they cancelled it, but it was almost certainly the network's call.  I'll bet dollars to donuts they would've gone with Dallas/Philly if Dallas wasn't eliminated.  Probably also would've done Detroit/Green Bay if Green Bay were alive and Rodgers was playing.