2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

It's certainly not because Brady's contract is in any way shady with his TB12 company that the team also pays, allowing them to underpay the top QB in the league. Nope. Not at all. :shifty:

Edited by munky
words
  • Like 3

I'm not even being facetious when I make the NBA comparison.  There are only a scant few teams you know have a chance to win a title in the NBA, and you know with relative certainty which teams will be alive at the end.  So the whole season is about trying to draw up storylines for those teams.  It doesn't always completely work out the way the league wants it to (for instance, last year the NBA most certainly was hoping Durant and Golden State would've met OKC in the playoffs) but you can tell they try to build a narrative throughout the year between teams they expect will match up for one another.

This season, despite the Chiefs and Jags holding blowout wins over the Pats and Steelers respectively, every announcer I've heard has talked of Pats/Steelers as though it is the inevitable AFC Title game since late October, and that's even when the Jags were killing it.  The close game with a controversial ending last week is exactly what the NFL would've wanted because it makes an AFC Title game an easier sell even for people who are sick of those teams.  And now this Harrison shit just adds to it.  The Steelers had to know he was gonna go straight to the Pats, and they probably don't actually care because he's a near 40 year old dude who has barely played and the Pats, as the best coached team in the league, already have the Steelers playbook well scouted.  All this move does is create another angle to talk about when the teams the league wants in the AFC Title game get to play each other again.

7 hours ago, Busch E said:

I'm not even being facetious when I make the NBA comparison.  There are only a scant few teams you know have a chance to win a title in the NBA, and you know with relative certainty which teams will be alive at the end.  So the whole season is about trying to draw up storylines for those teams.  It doesn't always completely work out the way the league wants it to (for instance, last year the NBA most certainly was hoping Durant and Golden State would've met OKC in the playoffs) but you can tell they try to build a narrative throughout the year between teams they expect will match up for one another.

This season, despite the Chiefs and Jags holding blowout wins over the Pats and Steelers respectively, every announcer I've heard has talked of Pats/Steelers as though it is the inevitable AFC Title game since late October, and that's even when the Jags were killing it.  The close game with a controversial ending last week is exactly what the NFL would've wanted because it makes an AFC Title game an easier sell even for people who are sick of those teams.  And now this Harrison shit just adds to it.  The Steelers had to know he was gonna go straight to the Pats, and they probably don't actually care because he's a near 40 year old dude who has barely played and the Pats, as the best coached team in the league, already have the Steelers playbook well scouted.  All this move does is create another angle to talk about when the teams the league wants in the AFC Title game get to play each other again.

With ratings the way they have been this year I am fully expecting some Lakers/Kings shenanigans to get the only 2 marketable teams in the playoffs as deep as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damshow said:

With ratings the way they have been this year I am fully expecting some Lakers/Kings shenanigans to get the only 2 marketable teams in the playoffs as deep as possible.

Jaguars and Rams right?

• Like 2

The Cowboys released Justin Durant. They should have released Byron Bell. Bell was on the field against the Seahawks, but shouldn't be paid because he didn't do his job. Just about every time the Seahawks got to Dak, it was Bell they breezed right by like he wasn't even there. 

I kept hearing Eli Apple and without knowing he was a person thought you guys meant Eli Manning.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Busch E said:

The Jaguars have announced a sellout for their playoff game.

Unfortunately for them, they can't remove the tarps to open an additional 20,000 seats because the tarps have been there for so long that they sold corporate sponsorships for them.

Wait, Really? That seems too lol, Jacksonville even for Jacksonville.

• Like 1